14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 8:58 AM by jfolliard RSS

accessing recorded programs on ipad app?

jfolliard

How do I see the list of prorgrams recorded on my DVR vis the ipad apps?  And, then how to I select one to view?

Thanks.

• Re: accessing recorded programs on ipad app?
          alanrichey42 Master

We need a LOT more information than that.   For starters:

What device are you using ?

Does the PC/MAC Virtual Remote work ?

What do you do on the 'real' remote to access recorded programs ?

jfolliard

using an Ipad2 - on the dvr remote (Directv hr20) I hit the 'list" button.  Virtual remote does work.  When I view through slingbox on my laptop, that nice dublicate image of my dvr's remote pops up.  but on the ipad I can't figure out how to first find the list of recorded programs, then view one.

thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

Does 'List' not appear in the MISC Menu ?   Or something maybe labelled differently but still works ?    I find it odd no other DirecTV owner has reported this so far.

jfolliard

List does not appear but I think I've figured it out.  In order to see the list of your recorded shows you have to:

1.     Change the directv box/dvr to SD, not HD.

2.     Click Misc. on the top menu then click DVR on the bottom menu.

This changes your box to display the recorded programs list.

Seems very odd.  Forces you to remember to change the directv box to SD when you are leaving and might want to watch a recorded program on you ipad!

Same required change from HD to SD a laptop.

Everything else seems to work whether the box is SD or HD format.  Seems strange and unneccesary.

Jack

alanrichey42 Master
                          Same required change from HD to SD a laptop.

Ahhh.   So actually this has nothing to do with the IPad app.  No wonder I was confused.   I take it you don't have to do this with the 'real' remote ?

jfolliard

no - I still have to switch to SD when viewing on the laptop with the on screen remote.

alanrichey42 Master

jfolliard wrote:

no - I still have to switch to SD when viewing on the laptop with the on screen remote.

No, I am talking about the actual 'brick' remote you use at home.

jfolliard

the brick remote has always worked appropriately.  Any ideas about the receiver SD vs. HD issue we've been discussing?

alanrichey42 Master

Nope.  From everything I know, the virtual remote sends an identical code to the 'normal' remote so there is no logical reason for this behaviour.

Give this Custom Remote a try

(These instructions assume you have installed the standalone Slingplayer on your PC/MAC, as you cannot install Custom Remotes from the Web-based player.  If you do not have the program see http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us or http://support.slingbox.com/go/dl-mac-desktop)

PC Version:
                                          -----------
                                          Put the BIN file into your C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer\SBAV\ folder.  (C:\Program Files(x86)\Sling Media\Slingplayer\SBAV\ for WIN7)

Mac version:
                                          ------------
                                          Put the file into your /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Slingbox Setup Assistant/Contents/Resources/SBAV/ (Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

Now go into Slingplayer and run Setup Assistant and 'Configure Video Sources'.  Work through the screens Making sure you select 'Satellite' as the device type.

This time use 'DirecTV' as the Manufacturer and 'Other' as the Model and in the next screen scroll to the bottom of the Code numbers, select 'Custom' and then type S1378 (NOT s1378, the code is case-sensitive) in the newly appeared Custom Code window (or use the Alternative Code window in the MAC).  Then complete the setup as normal.

If you have problems please do NOT just report back it 'doesn't work', that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report the following:

1.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Power button ?

2.   Did you give the Power command plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

3.   After completing the setup (regardless of whether the Power button worked) do any of the other buttons work ?

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

jfolliard

thanks for the help.  I reconfigured the remote code as instructed but no success.  The Power button on the setup screen didn't elicit a response.

None of the buttons worked at all.  the blaster is functional and properly located.  So I've switched back to the directv hr20 remote.

I really don't think it's a remote issue.  Other than the List button, ALL other buttons on the virtual remote for my receiver (directv HR20) work fine.

I think it's something more basic - the SD vs. HD receiver setting.  I say this because when I do press List or any other button I get that screen beginning with "Your TV or Cables are Not HD - On the remote control press and hold down the EXIT key until you see a confirmation that your receiver has been set for standard definition"

The buttons do work (except that List button) despite the above error message on the screen which turns off in about 8-10 seconds.

So I think we have to look elsewhere other than a remote problem.  And similar issues have been posted on other Slig forum pages.

Jack

alanrichey42 Master

OK, as you say, this doesn't appear to be a Sling problem, but a DirecTV problem.  I see from other postings that DirecTV forum users are also complaining.   What I still don't understand is why the 'real' remote works but not the Sling virtual remote.   In fact, if the 'real' remote is working OK, why are non-Sling owners also complaining ?  I'm confused

jfolliard

yep it is confusing.  But it's related to SD vs. HD on the receiver, not the virtual remote directly.  The directv remote works perfectly regardless of whether the receiving is in SD or HD format.  EVERYTHING on the virtual remote works too except the List button which will only work if the receiver is in SD format at the time.  Go figure!

And what I can't get an answer to is why does that error message come up and really what does it mean.  The one which begins "Your TV or its cables are not HD"?  First my TV is HD so what does that message really mean?.  I'm using composite cables between the slingbox and the directv receiver.  The only other choice is S-video which I'm going to try but I doubt it will make a difference.

jfolliard

one thing I just discovered  - sort of a work around.  your receiver is HD and you're viewing remotely.  change the channel remotely to a pure SD channel and that changes your receiver to SD so that you can then click List and the listings of your recorded shows will appear for selection and viewing.

seems sort of silly but it works.

jfolliard

now here's the problem with my workaournd.  You've switched to the SD only channel, accessed the List of recorded programs, switched to one of those programs which is in HD.  Well, that remotely switches your receiver back to HD! So if you want to control that recorded program - or access the List again you have to once again switch to a SD only channel, repeating the process.  Also, the on screen remote buttons don't work that well.

This is all very awkward and seems unnecessary!