3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2011 6:05 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Thanks for the junkbox

thanhtha

Ever since the force firmware was loaded nothing has worked. Hard reset becuase it won't take any password, and still does not work with the new password typed in the with sling player software assistant. It refuses to take the ip address its assigned as well.

I am aslo on my 2nd unit because the first unit died in lest than 3 months. Maybe someone at sling should be fired, some seriously screw things up.

***Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator.***

• Re: Thanks for the junkbox
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Have you tried programming your router to assign the static IP address that the SB firmware update is trying to assign to your SB?   If you don't alter your router, it probably will continue to assign a dynamic IP address to the router, which likely will not match what the SB firmware wants.   If you can do that reprogramming of your router, then reboot both the router and the SB, perhaps it will be able to connect again.

thanhtha

I was able to get the thing up and running after instaling the sling software and editing the the device to take the ip that the router has given it. The web setup is useless! I also had to input my decive id #, device name, etc on the web browser.

It ended being complicated, rather a simple launch from the link in the browser. This was great before the frimware download.

What was the the issue for the firmware to begin with? I never had any problems and what problems have this solved? were good things suppoed to happen? if so please tell.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I am betting that the Sling Media folks modified their firmware to assign a static IP address to the router because many folks were frequently having problems losing connection to their SB when their router changed the LAN IP address from over some period of time due to the dynamic allocation process for connections used by most routers.   But getting the router to assign that desired static IP address to the SB typically requires some programming intervention by the user to their router, and many folks may not be familiar with how to do that.   So, it can continue to be a problem for users who can not -- or will not --do the static IP address assignment that the SB is now looking for with the firmware upgrade.