2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 12:10 PM by OvCollyer RSS

Missing keyboard shortcuts for Sky+HD remote

OvCollyer Apprentice

Does anyone know if it is possible to add or customise these? If so, how would I go about it/what software would I use? Where do I even find the skin file containing this information?

I'd want to customise it for the web player, rather than the desktop player if there is a different procedure for each.

Here are all the buttons and their keyboard equivalent (or lack of):

Power on/off (Ctrl+Shift+P)

Sky (Ctrl+Shift+S)

Box Office

Services

Guide (G)

Interactive

Mute (not mapped on Windows but Cmd+Shift+M on Mac)

Info (I)

Volume Up (not mapped on Windows, Cmd+up on Mac)

Volumne Down (not mapped on Windows, Cmd+down on Mac)

Channel Up (=)

Channel Down (-)
      Text

Back Up (not mapped, which essentially makes keyboard usage on this remote pointless as you can never go back from the guide etc!)

Help

Rewind (R)

Fast Forward (F)

Pause (U)

Play (P)

Record (Ctrl+Shift+R)

Stop (S)

Red (Ctrl+Shift+D)

Green (Ctrl+Shift+G)

Yellow (Ctrl+Shift+Y)

Blue (Ctrl+Shift+B)

Numbers (0-9)

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

EDIT : strangely, the Back Up button is actually mapped to X on Windows, although this isn't indicated when you hover over the button, but isn't mapped on Mac.

• Re: Missing keyboard shortcuts for Sky+HD remote
          OvCollyer Apprentice

So I found an article which detailed how to customize Slingbox remote skins, here:

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-edit-your-slingplayer-remote-skin-part-1/

I was able to follow the instructions for downloading the correct ".zip" file for my "SkyHD.spr" from placeshiftingenthusiasts and modified it to add one of the missing keyboard shortcuts.

I then dropped this into my Mac Desktop Slingplayer software and found that it now mapped the missing key.

I was all set to smoke a fat cigar and pat myself on the back for being a genius (well, maybe just with google hehe) but then unfortunately found that following the same approach for the Mac Web Player (Safari) did not work - it still insisted on downloading the SkyHD.spr file from the server. I tried the brute force approach of locking my new SkyHD.spr file and although this prevented it overwriting and saving the downloaded one, it still used the one it had downloaded into memory and thus didn't have my keyboard shortcut.

This is where the Mac Web Player remotes are stored, and where I placed my new .SPR file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SlingMedia/Remotes

Does anyone have any clues as to how I can solve this? Is there something that has to be done to make one of these custom files acceptable to the Mac Web Player plugin?

Perhaps the file format has been updated and the SkyHD.zip file I downloaded from placeshiftingenthusiasts is not suitable for the Web player?

I did notice that the one the web player downloads is around 800k, but my custom zipped SPR was under 600k.

Has anyone had any success with customising remote skins for the Web player in this or a similar manner?

• Re: Missing keyboard shortcuts for Sky+HD remote
              OvCollyer Apprentice

Well, I realise I'm probably having a conversation with myself but in case anyone sees this in the future - I seem to have managed to find a way to make it use my custom remote by locking the custom file I created.

I thought I had tried that and it didn't work, but it's now showing my customised remote, or at least it has three times in a row!

Perhaps the first time I tried this approach I hadn't quit Safari or something stupid.

It's not ideal though because it appears to try and load the version stored on the Sling servers each time, which causes a slight delay.

Sling folk - what would cause this behaviour? Why doesn't the web player accept my modified remote? I mean, I wouldn't have to modify it if it didn't have a bunch of the keyboard shortcuts missing...