19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 1:34 PM by ACC388531 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Video freezes, audio cuts in and out

ACC388531 Newbie

First, I'm very excited to have Splingplayer optionality on the Revue.  I'm disappointed it isn't a real app, but that's just part of the package I guess!

Now, I'm having two issues.  The video will play in a spotty jumpy fashion for about 40 seconds.  After that, the video freezes until I exit the Slingplayer website (via Spotlight).  The audio will continue to play although it cuts in and out.  So, I end up with a frozen image and can continue to hear the shows.

How can this be resolved???

I connected the Revue via hardwire in case it was a WiFi issue which proved to not get anywhere.  But, it's streaming just fine WiFi and hardwire to a Windows laptop.  I did reboot the Revue...this didn't help either.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

• Re: Video freezes, audio cuts in and out
          ACC388531 Newbie

I will not mark this as answered, but I have a temporary solution.

Hit the right-click on the Logitech keyboard to bring up the remote control settings.   Set the quality to "Good" or "Better" but do not use "Best(HD)."

I can tell you that I'm able to stream via WiFi and via ethernet cable with Best(HD) quality to my PC and laptop just fine.  My internet connections for the slingbox end and the slingplayer end are both 30Mb/s downstream  and 3.5Mb/s upstream.

To me, it appears that the web-app has an issue processing and rendering the content with my GTV Revue when it has the best quality enabled. 

evwheeler

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, the only stream that'll play on my revue is good quality anything above that stutters and then the picture freezes. My HTPC sitting right next to the revue and on the same netowrk using the windows slingplayer app will play in full HD and show it streaming at 2Mb+ without any hicups or artifacts.

My internet down is 30Mb and the slingbox is on a 10Mb up connection. There's definately something off with the web player.

jwillink

My slingbox plays with good picture and audio and then after a time it freezes. Can stop and then restart and it will work for a short time an continue to do the same thing makes it unuseable. Help.

xplore Newbie

I have similar problems with the slingplayer on the revue:

-          Regularly the sound drops completely. While other applications on the revue (Pandora…) are still providing sound. The only way to get the sound back is to reboot the revue.

-          Picture freezes all the time when browsing through the EPG (I have Verizon FIOS). Sound continues. Only way to unblock the picture is to restart the stream (for example by temporary switching the picture setting format best to good)

keiko0125

Same issue here. Video will play for a few seconds (regardless of video quality selection). Then, picture will freeze and only audio will continue. Also happens when I select different menus on my DVR. As soon as the screen changes to something different, it freezes. VERY frustrating. Any fix Slingmedia? We've been waiting a LONG time for this app to be available, and it seems buggy. I have 25/5 Verizon Fios, with a DVR in a remote location using 3MB upload. No issues on any of my PC's or phones. Only on the Revue app. Help!

radix

I have 3 Revues, 2 at my home with FiOS and one at my work with a 30 Gbps connection and all the revues are hardwired. I have experienced all the same issues outlined in this post, image freezing and loss of sound. I find the issues are unrelated to the quality setting for the app. The issues seem to be correlated with the number of control commands sent, so for instance if I use the keyboard to skip commercials with my DVR the image almost certainly freezes rather quickly. If I just ignore the commercials and issue only the minimal number of commands the image freezes much less often. Loss of audio is almost always an issue after the image freezes and a attempt to resolve the issue by readjusting the quality to unfreeze the image but can rarely be a problem after using other control commands.

Sling Media, please consider taking actions to resolve this such as a native app from the market or at least address these widespread community complaints with some type of official response

jjeeffffdd

seemed to work BUT after a few min's running the pic. freezes, but audio keeps working fine. rerun the app on gppgle tv and the same thing happens run fine for a few min's then video freezes-- any fixes ??????? 

l2105x

Has anyone opened a ticket with Sling Media on this and received information regarding this problem?   I recently purchased the google tv blu ray for remote viewing after useing a PC with Windows for a couple years.     The google TV app does not appear as robust as the PC app.   In about 48-72 hours of TV I don't think we have gone more than an hour without the need to restart the stream.  Either the picture freezes with sound available or it freezes both.  Restarting the stream fixes the problem usually for 10-30 minutes.   I generally run the quality below what is recommended to try to help the problem but this does not work.  Sometimes it disconnects completely but always starts right back up again.     In contrast, I have  been able to leave the Windows Sling app on all night and have it working in the morning at this same location (FIOS at the Slingbox, Verizon DSL at the receiving end).    This would not always be the case, but I have never had this sort of connectivity yet with the new app.

One thing that does appear to differ is that the Windows app appears to automaticaly adjust the quality on the fly.  The new app must only have pre-set (Good, Better, Best, etc) which must be selected to work.  Just a guess.

Another thing that differs is that I am now experiencing dialation between sound and video for the first time.   With the Windows app it does not appear the sound and video ever get separated like on the new app.

l2105x

I am also way out of warranty for my Slingbox, but I did just purchase a Sony TV and Blu Ray player with the Sling app.   I would think they would want those apps to work, but perhaps they are not officially supported?

radix

I agree that it is disappointing that this is not a native app and I think most of the issues we are experiencing are a result of the difficulty of making a non native app for video decoding on limited hardware. Sling Media the history of your products has clearly shown that native apps deliver higher performance and greater customer satisfaction. I own both he native android and android tablet apps and would happily pay another $29.99 to for a native Google TV app. As an android app developer I have some since of the challenge associated with porting your android tablet app to Google TV 2 and it seems clear the relatively minimal effort of expanding your Android tablet app for Google TV would be made up by the revenue you would get.

ACC388531 Newbie

Indirectly to my beta-testing, I have a possible solution for stream freezing issues.  I can stream at the top-most quality without major issues with the stream for the past few hours.  Unfortunately this didn't fix the guide or menu navigation freezes, BUT I am able to do much more browsing through them before it inevitably freezes.  Placebo, maybe.

If you care to give this a go, please visit this thread so that I can track results easier for my own curiousities and for assistance in reporting this to Sling:

https://community.sling.com/thread/16334

Respond there please.

engineering

3 Revues doing the same exact issue. I Have 30 sling boxes and a catcher they work great but crash all the time on the revue. Any help?????

ACC388531 Newbie

I truly believe that our woes are hardware-related and not Android or Slingmedia directly.  That being said, it is possible that Slingmedia can get a new stable version out the door which operates with less hardware strain in the defunct Revues.

Personally, I look forward to Vizio's upcoming GTV device or another iteration of Sony or other branded TV's.  I'd like to chunk this Revue.

radix

I honestly disagree. I now own 7 Sony Google TVs and 16 Logitech Revues as part of a digital signage system plus I have 3 more Revues at home. Lots of people seem to have associated this issue with network quality which is simply not true. I work at a big ten university in IT and literally have 10s of Gbps of bandwidth to the internet not to mention that the same freezing happens when run on a local network.

The error is likewise not hardware. The Revue can easily decode 1080p video from the Logitech video conferencing app. The new ARM GTV units won’t fix this either as they have less raw processing power then the current Intel Atom based CE4100 SOC units.

The GTV Slingplayer "app" freezes based on control operations. The more times you use the remote control the more likely it is to freeze. The first generation GTV devices have much more horsepower then needed to transmit the change channel command etc. The reason this problem is so mysterious is because it’s not what you would think. Its not network or hardware its simply the control function and that should be fixable in software.

ACC388531 Newbie

If that is the case, okay.  I have a friend with a Sony GTV which streams just fine.  So, I made that assumption based on same internet package, same city, and same Slingbox to test from.

Should it be that many other devices are having issues and that tests on both LAN and WAN with no bandwidth limitations are showing equal problems, then yes it would be somewhere between software and hardware or a mix of the two.  I ruled on hardware based on my own observance above, but am fine with ignoring that observance.

****, the beta I test with keeps glitching all day.