2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2011 2:52 AM by OvCollyer RSS

Possible to re-route slingbox ?

Boyington1

Having a problem with a connection from my slingbox to the computer where I am trying to watch tv on. I am going from louisiana to Brasil. Some days I am golden, most days I am not. The days I am not good, I can connect from brasil to louisiana but a different slingbox that is 20minutes away and receive PERFECT connection. So I did a traceroute and found that this one specific ip was the problem. Is there anyway that I can bypass or re route my slingbox so I do NOT go through this ip address ?

• Re: Possible to re-route slingbox ?
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Apparently, there are ways for very large network routers to intentionally re-route Internet traffic through particular pathways -- see, for example, the story at http://www.omninerd.com/articles/Did_China_Hijack_15_of_the_Internet_Routers_BGP_and_Ignorance.   But I've never heard of any means for an individual "home user" to do such things, say, by programming their router to send traffic through a specific external pathway in order to avoid a particular, congested, intermediate IP address.   I suppose you could ask your ISP, and show them the evidence you have for faulty transfer, Perhaps THEY can do something about their routing tables, but if the congestion is several hops downstream, they may not be able to do anything about it either.

• Re: Possible to re-route slingbox ?
              OvCollyer Apprentice

You could try connecting through a proxy server.

Some people find that by connecting to a reputable proxy server this improves the routing. In fact, I have experienced this myself and gained some speed and stability on my stream.

You'd probably have to pay a small subscription each month though, to get a decent one.