6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2011 2:02 PM by cyprusman RSS

How to overcome internet traffic management (throttling back)

cyprusman

I have a slingbox pro fitted to a virgin cable box in the UK and stream the TV data to Cyprus where I live, however Virgin media have now started to throttle back the upload speed in the evenings to a point which makes streaming impossible. I am therefore looking for advice on how to overcome or get around the problem, such as transferring and storing TV programs on an external hard drive in Cyprus for use during times when I cannot stream.

• Re: How to overcome internet traffic management (throttling back)
          chakkarinen Apprentice

If you are willing to watch your TV programs at times when the streaming from the UK is NOT throttled, then you could considering putting a Tivo between your cable box and your SB to save the programs that you want at any hour in the UK, then stream (and watch) them in Cyprus at non-peark hours.

cyprusman

Hi many thanks for your reply to my query, I have the facility to use the system during none peak times, however what I am looking to achieve is a system of transfer and store programs from a TIVO to Cyprus during none peak times and use during peak times without the need for the Internet. I do not know if this is possible, and if so how to achieve it.

many thanks for your help

Barrie

OvCollyer Apprentice

So I guess you'd need something like this:

1) use Slingbox to set your TIVO to record what you want

2) use some other system whereby you can access the raw TIVO video files and copy them across to Cyprus

3) assuming you have the files in a standard format, then play them through some kind of video player

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the TIVO to know whether you can access the files or not - if you can, and if they can be made accessible on a LAN then it ought to be possible to copy them to wherever you want, with the right network setup.

A Slingbox might be a bit of a waste for the above setup though, since you wouldn't be using it for anything other than remote controlling your TiVO - you might be better with an alternative system for setting up what you want to record - maybe something like EyeTV.

cyprusman

Hi to you, many thanks for your advice, I have sent Elgato an email to see if their equipment will satisfy my requirements. I have looked at their website and it certainly looks to be a strong possibility; I will post the outcome once I here from them

thanks

Barrie 

chakkarinen Apprentice

There is software available for converting .tivo files to .wmv files, for example.   And Tivo does provide on their website a means to schedule recordings on your Tivo remotely from anywhere in Internet Land.   And, if you have set up a means to access the local IP address that your Tivo is assigned by the router controllng the local area network (I think this may depend on how you would program your UK router to allow access to specific items within its local area network from an external Internet address), then you could transfer .tivo files from the UK to Cyprus at max speed during non-peak hours, then convert the files locally in Cyprus to .wmv format (or similar) for viewing on your computer in Cyprus.   And you could schedule via the Internet from Cyprus your UK Tivo to record programs.   In this case, the SB would not be required.   But to get the real-time transmission of TV shows playing in the UK over to Cyprus to watch at the same time, then I think your UK throttling remains the stumbling block.