5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2010 4:03 PM by eferz Branched to a new discussion. RSS
      • Re: Is it possible to use the video out on my iphone with my slingbox?
        ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

HI Alexjarman,

Is it possible to use the video out on my iphone with my slingbox?

You want to take a video out signal from your iPhone, connect that into your Slingbox, then watch it from another computer (using SlingPlayer) somewhere else, correct ?

If so- and you can already connect video out from your iPhone to a TV and watch it- then yes, you can do that with Slingbox.

Slingbox is a television with no screen (it uses your computer for that).  If you can do it with a TV, you can do it with Slingbox.

Hope this helps,

- Az

jxl8844

yes but you must jailbreak your phone because apple only allows tv out when in ipod mode and not in any other application. you will have to download an app through cydia called tvout, tvout landscape, or screensplitter (which ever you prefer) and then it will work

eferz Expert

Actually....

There  are other apps in the iTunes Store, like Streamtome http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/streamtome/id325327899,   that allows you to use the Apple Component or Composite Cable for the   iPhone to display on an external monitor or TV.

In my  experience, only apps which break out using the standard  MediaPlayer.framework will work with the iPhone AV cables.  Those app  include Quicktime, YouTube, iPod, Safari, and Streamtome.  There are  probably more but those are the one I've used personally.   Unfortunately, the Slingplayer for iPhone only uses bits a pieces of the  framework with a custom UI overlay, so it does not support TV out  natively.

In the MediaPlayer.framework API there is a class  called MPTVOutWindow that can be used to force TV out.  Unfortunately,  its an private class, so its not offically supported by Apple.  All  of the apps that have tried to used it was denied on the iTunes App  Store.  However, if you have a jailbroken iPhone you can get apps like  TVout2, Landscape TV Out, or ScreenSplitr in conjunction with the  Slingplayer app to support TV out via the Apple Composite or Component  Cables for iPhone.

joeldrealtor

I have same problem, I bought a slingbox HD Pro and I also purchase the iPhone 3GS apps and apple composite A/V cable that way I can watch my

streaming video from my iPhone to the TV monitor but I just found out that it doesn't work, the only apps that works is IPOD and youtube. I wasted all

that money to buy all that accs. That would be nice if SlingBox will updates their iPhone apps to add the composite A/V out. If that features works, my

friends will buy the same set up that I have and watch their cable and surviellance camera thru their iPhone and TV monitor.

Also, I want to add my Lorex LW2702 surviellance camera into the slinbox input but I could not find the Lorex LW2702 in the drop down selection, in this case

I cannot use the remote control for my LW2702  camera. I really need help from Slingbox to solve this issues. HELPPPP!!!!

eferz Expert

joeldrealtor wrote:

I have same problem, I bought a slingbox HD Pro and I also purchase the iPhone 3GS apps and apple composite A/V cable that way I can watch my streaming video from my iPhone to the TV monitor but I just found out that it doesn't work, the only apps that works is IPOD and youtube. I wasted all that money to buy all that accs. That would be nice if SlingBox will updates their iPhone apps to add the composite A/V out. If that features works, my friends will buy the same set up that I have and watch their cable and surviellance camera thru their iPhone and TV monitor.

If you feel that this is a feature that you'd like to see in future updates, I'd recommend that you open a new thread in the Enchancement Request forum.  It will carry more weight than this forum.  Since its a known limitation of the current software, there's no sense in trying to troubleshoot it in the technical support forums.

Also, I want to add my Lorex LW2702 surviellance camera into the slinbox input but I could not find the Lorex LW2702 in the drop down selection, in this case  I cannot use the remote control for my LW2702  camera. I really need help from Slingbox to solve this issues. HELPPPP!!!!

You should take a look at this annoucement (https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363).  Alan Richey has volunteered to give support where he can with unofficially supported remotes.  However there are a few caveats in making the request.  Give it a once over.