4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2012 9:26 AM by adamvanpelt RSS

Version 2.4.6 crashes when iPhone 4 is connected to Apple Digital AV Adapter

adamvanpelt Newbie

My wife and I both upgraded our iPhone 4's (not 4S) to the latest release of the SlingPlayer app for iPhone on December 6.  Since then, viewing on either phone by itself works fine; but once we hook either phone to the Apple Digital AV Adapter that connects to our TV via HDMI, the app eventually crashes.  Sometimes it works for ten minutes and other times it only works for a minute or do before it crashes and the video and audio disappear from our TV.  My Slingbox Solo has the latest firmware as of two weeks ago.

The only thing that's changed is the SlingPlayer Mobile app.  Streaming via the web continues to work flawlessly.  Also, we had no problems with the previous version of the SlingPlayer mobile app crashing.  I have tried removing and re-installing the app on my phone and the problem persists.  As I said, my wife and I both use an iPhone 4, we both updated to mobile app version 2.4.6, and then we both started experiencing app crashes when our phones are plugged into the Apple Digital AV Adapter.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

• Re: Version 2.4.6 crashes when iPhone 4 is connected to Apple Digital AV Adapter
          Apprentice

Hi adamvanpelt,

I understand that you are having some issues with the SlingPlayer for iPhone, since once you hook it up with your Apple Digital AV Adapter that connects to your TV via HDMI, it crashes.

Most of the time, this issue is related to the use of the HDMI cable. No matter which Slingbox you own, it will not work since they are not compatible due to the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). With this in mind, I recommend you to check the following links in order to find an explanation and a possible workaround:

I get no video with any SlingPlayer (Watch, Windows, or Mac OS)

Your Slingbox works fine until you turn on your TV

Why don’t you have an HDMI Slingbox?

Regards

• Re: Version 2.4.6 crashes when iPhone 4 is connected to Apple Digital AV Adapter
              adamvanpelt Newbie

ranaleon,

I think you misunderstood my problem.  My problem is not that I get no video on the TV.  My problem is that the SlingPlayer app on my iPhone crashes when the phone is connected to the TV.  I think my setup is definitely supported by Sling because it's touted as the way to view the iPhone SlingPlayer app on your TV on Sling's own website.

Since I wrote the initial post, I've noticed that the SlingPlayer app also crashes (though not as frequently) when I am simply watching on my phone over 3G or WiFi.  I think the latest SlingPlayer app for iPhone has stability issues.  I've been using the app for almost two years and haven't experienced as many app crashes with all the previous versions put together as I have with the current version of the app.

Please note that I was using this same setup with the previous version of the SlingPlayer iPhone app with no problems whatsoever.  I was able to watch Slingbox content on my TV over HDMI connected via the Apple Digital AV Adapter for hours and the SlingPlayer app didn't crash.  Ever since updating to version 2.4.6, I'm lucky to be able to watch for five minutes without having the app crash on my phone.  My wife's iPhone 4 also has the same problem since upgrading but had no problems prior to the upgrade.  Given that this problem first appeared after upgrading the SlingPlayer iPhone app to 2.4.6, I think the SlingPlayer app is the cause of the problem.

adamvanpelt Newbie

I am still waiting for a response.  Is the stability of version 2.4.6 for iPhone being investigated by the Sling engineers?  I have over $200 invested in Slingbox hardware and mobile apps.  With that amount of money invested in your products, I'd appreciate some confirmation from Sling that you're at least investigating this problem.

Please note that as I stated in my previous message in this thread, the problem with the SlingPlayer app crashing occurs when I'm just watching on my iPhone AND when the phone is connected to the Apple Digital AV Adapter so I can watch on my TV.  Therefore, I do NOT think the "we're not compatible with HDMI" response you gave me is the source of this particular problem.  I've uninstalled and re-installed the SlingPlayer app, made sure it was the only app running by double tapping the Home button and force closing all other running apps, and rebooted my phone more times than I can count.  Doing all of these things has done absolutely nothing in terms of keeping SlingPlayer 2.4.6 from crashing.  As I said previously, this problem occurs both on 3G and Wi-Fi and I had no problems with the app crashing prior to upgrading to version 2.4.6.  Also, I've noticed that the app crashes regardless of whether the video quality is set to "Auto", "HQ", or "SQ".

In contrast to the SlingPlayer app on my iPhone, today I have watched Slingbox content on my computer for three hours and counting now with no problems.  Therefore, I don't believe the problem with the app crashing on the iPhone has anything to do with the Slingbox Solo hardware or the internet connection at the Slingbox's location.  The problem, as best I can tell, is solely related to the stability of the SlingPlayer 2.4.6 iPhone app.

adamvanpelt Newbie

I solved my problem by restoring SlingPlayer version 2.3.3 to my iPhone from a Time Machine backup per the instructions at http://gigaom.com/apple/recover-older-versions-of-iphone-apps-after-updating/.  I will be advising everyone with similar problems to do the same.  I won't be updating the SlingPlayer app on my iPhone again until I am confident that this issue has been resolved in a future release.