13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2012 6:58 PM by ehiggins Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox won't connect - IP address issues

MuzicMan

Hi all,

My slingbox is suddenly giving me a lot of trouble and refuses to reliably connect.  I think has coincided with the last firmware update.  My issue is that it refuses to pick up any other ip than 192.168.2.254.  I have set my router to assign it a different ip and it will not pick up the one I set.  When I check the settings info on the box, it shows the 254 ip and next to dhcp, it shows static.  Do slingboxes now default to this 254 address and not use dhcp?  Why is it not dynamically picking up what I set the router to reserve for it?

Any help would be appreciated?

Thank you.

• Re: Slingbox won't connect - IP address issues
          chakkarinen Apprentice

As I mentioned in my response to your question in the other forum, perhaps SlingMedia has decided (rightly or wrongly) to "force" in its latest firmware update the use of static IP addresses ending in .254 for their boxes.   So, you might try reprogramming your router to assign the  static IP address 192.168.2.254 to your SB, then program your router to forward port 5001 to that static IP, then reboot both the SB and the router and see if your connection is restored.

bluesguitarbob

I am having the same trouble don't they read these posts? why don't the put in a patch?

anthonyyen

I used to have the same problem on my Slingbox Pro.   Here is how I corrected.

1. Go to Slingbox.com and sign in to your account on the upper right.

2. Click "Watch" tab

3. Click Slingbox Setup

4. Click on "Get Started"

5. Click on the Slingbox needed to be change

6. Click on "Set up internet viewing"

7.  It will started to testing internet viewing

8. Click on "Internet Viewing advanced settings."  not "NEXT"

9. Click on "

MuzicMan

Thank you for your response and I am trying the latest suggestion.  Even with that, this is how weird the box is now.  When I first clicked on Watch, it actaully starts streaming like normally.

However, once I click setup and then select my slingbox which it detects, it suddenly cannot connect to it.  It says there is an error connecting to it and do I want to retry.

Totally unstable and unreliable.

MuzicMan

The latest:

I think I can safely say that it is something in the Auto-configure program when you set the box up that causes the problems.

I did another hard reset on the box and tried setting it up again.  I kept an eye on my dhcp list, and my SB actually showed up with a good dhcp address at the beginning of setup.  However the step that killed it was when setup "Tested Internet Viewing."  When It started that step, my slingbox switched to that static .254 address, and the box reboots and starts being unreliable from there.  The actual setup program in firefox crashes onces it reboots the box.  I tried in both IE and Firefox.

Slingbox:  Will you kindly let us configure our slingboxes to our specifications and stop setting them up for us?  All I would like is a program that lets me set my SB to dhcp or pick my own ip.

I think I'm going to try another reset and start the setup process right up until the internet viewing step.  I'll stop right before that and see if that makes a difference.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Is there a particular reason that you can not "accept" your Slingbox getting the 192.168.x.254 static IP address?   I know that the Sling Media folks find it easiest to maintain reliable connections to the Slngboxes in their directory if the local IP addresses are not changing.   And that MIGHT happen if your router is dynamically assigning IP addresses to the Slingbox.   I know that it really makes no difference for my computers to have their local IP addresses changing, since I don't authorize anyone to go through my firewall to directly "connect" to my computer.   But for my Slingbox, if I am trying to log in to its stream from dozens of different locations in Internet Land at different times, with perhaps long time gaps between these connection requests, I suppose there is a possibilty that my router would be assigning a different local IP address to the SB, if I have multiple other computers in my home going off and on the local network over a few days.

But then again, I would assume that there must be a way for the SB to ascertain what dynamically assigned local IP address it has at any given moment, and so could then provide that address to the central Slingbox directory on Slingmedia's servers whenever one's SB "checks in" to HQ to verify connectibiility, query software updats, etc.   So, your request seems certainly legitimate enough to me.

joe_mac

I can work around the .253 glitch right now because my newer slingbox is holding its manual IP.  However, if it exhibits the same behavior as my older box then I will obviously have an IP conflict on my network (2 boxes with same IP).  Besides that, I assign IP addresses to each device on my network in a grouping that makes it easier to find - I have a LARGE home nextwork that has at least 20 devices on it at any 1 time.  I don't allow any DHCP devices (everything is manually assigned)  unless I have a guest over and allow them wireless access.  

Moreover, thats really NOT the point....i had a manual entry in that sligbox for YEARS and now its not working.  There is obviously a problem in one of the updates and it needs to be fixed ASAP but for some reason problem its being ignored or not acknowledged?

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

ehiggins

Any fix for new connectivity issue yet?  I have two slingboxes and both worked fine until recently - now I can not connect to either and nothing changed in my home network set up - I cant even get into set-up to try any change any internet viewing settings - I get an immediate error message with the following;

• Error: 0x92370001
                              • Context: 20
                              • Operation:110

Please help!

Thank you.

apostoln

my slingbox classic has been working fine. My Iphone connects to my home wifi and using the slingmedia Ap i get all my feeds on the Iphone 4S and the Ipad 1 and 2 as long as they are connected to the same network. However, when I try to log on via internet through a different network, i can't get anything.

The router is a new dual band Netgear  N600 and the port forwarding is set up with the IP at 10.0.0.237 and the port start and end set at 5001. Do I have to reset to 10.0.0.254 now for the system to work?

joe_mac

Apostoln.....I have no idea and since Sling doesnt seem to monitor, reply or even care whats going on here and with their hardware i couldnt begin to give you an answer.........they BROKE the manual IP addressing in one of their updates and they havent addressed the issue here or in a future release - i would state again - why even have the option if it doesnt work - simply remove it........but for those, like me, that like to manually assign computers and devices on their network - we would like this feature (which used to work fine) fixed ASAP - or at a minimum have Sling acknowledge that they are aware of the issue and will fix it soon ...............

Woonjas

Make sure you'll download the old standalone Windows player before it's no longer available.

It may no longer get the firmware/software updates, but at least it lets you configure your device (that is if your box is supported by the old program of course)

The new Internerd Exploder plugin does not seem to offer an option to configure the SlingBox network settings.

(I guess not all change is good? )

bluesguitarbob

Guys I am telling you thatit is you ISP that is blocking your video signal my slingbox was always found but the video signal is being blocked so it dosen't use up bandwidth on thier wap I spent hours with teck help and they told me to call my isp and I finialy was told they are blocking the video signal so people won't streem netflix. My sligbox is working beter than ever now that I got a new modem.