4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2011 8:02 AM by markusrow RSS

Slingbox ProHD unable to connect as many other after firmware update

MuzicMan

I am very upset and frustrated, as I cannot get my slingbox to connect properly after the latest firmware update.  I have tried a factory reset and numerous power cycles, and I still just get a connection error.  The box shows up in my directory and is recognized, but connecting to watch fails.  The only differenct I can find is the latest firmware update, as it was working perfectly before this.

What has happened and is there anything I can do to fix it or do I now have a brick?

Thanks

• Re: Slingbox ProHD unable to connect as many other after firmware update
          MuzicMan

Some more info,

When I check the IP address of the unit, it keeps setting itself to 192.168.2.254 instead of the192.168.2.116 I have it reserved as in my router.  Why is it not picking up the IP address I have reserved?  I have the router set to see its MAC and give it the right address, but it always does 254.  I have tried rebooting both the slinbox and router.

loganzuber Newbie

Same issue here.  try to connect and it won't go through.  Ping it and try again, stream starts

chakkarinen Apprentice

Perhaps the firmware has been "updated" by SlingMedia to "force" an IP connection ending in 254 to be registered on the SB?   If you then program your router to set a static IP address for the SB in your  network to 192.168.2.254, and program your router to forward port 5001 to that static IP address, then reboot both the router and the SB, do you find the connection works again?

I don't understand why the firmware should be doing this "forced IP assignment", but perhaps what I describe above would at least be a workaround?

markusrow

A similar thing happened to my Slingbox ProHD over the last few days.

1. First the sound went off (front panel lights were OK

2. When I rebooted the power light came on, but no others, no arch, no network light.

3. Pressed re-set and the Arch lights came on Solid (unblinking) with the power light on (unblinking).

I am connected to a Verizon Actiontech Router, by Lan Cable.  The Slingbox has always used 192.168.1.254.  Now however it is not showing up on the  connections list on the router, and the above IP is showing inactive.

Does anyone know how to see a history of new firmware downloads to a specific Slingbox from the Slingbox website?

I have difficulty believiing that it is the power supply, as usually they fail by not providing any voltage, I am not aware of a common failure that results in a voltage or current decrease. 

Thanks for listening.