13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 4:58 AM by bsheppard RSS

Slingcatcher not connecting to Sling ProHD

jhdewan

My Slingcatcher does not connect to Sling Pro HD which is at a remote location. It keep saying, there is a Network Error. But, strangely I can connect to the Slingbox with desktop Slingplayer and on the browser through Sling.com account. It connects and plays perfect. So, there shouldn't be any network issue. I've been using this Slingcatcher with Sling Tuner for a couple of years without any problem. Recently the Sling Tuner was broken. So, I bought the Pro HD. Just wanted to mention, this Slingcather also connects just fine with other Slingboxes that I have at other remote locations. Unfortunately, it is not connecting only to this particular Pro HD slingbox. I wonder why it keep saying about Network Error. Please help me here.

• Re: Slingcatcher not connecting to Sling ProHD
          callanish Apprentice

It's more than likely a port forwarding issue. When you connect to your slingbox from the slingplayer app, try alt.shift.i on the keyboard ( assuming you are running windows and not Mac ), what comes up under stream type. Is it SNATT or Relay? If that's what's coming up, then you've not done the slingbox setup correctly and you'll need to manually port forward your router to work with the slingbox to run a TCP stream. The slingcatcher doesn't work with SNATT, so that's my best guess on why you are getting the network connection error. The sling tuner was probably setup correctly to work with the slingcatcher, but you've missed a step somewhere with the Slingbox HD model when setting it up. Do a check with one of your other slingbox's that work with the slingcatcher and also check that type stream.

If you need specifics on portforwarding with a specific router, see if it's listed on this site

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

or follow sling's port forwarding setup here

http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html

If you've gone through the setup process, checked the stream type and get a TCP stream, you should be good to go. As long as you continue to stream SNATT, you'll continue to get this network connection issue on the catcher

bschooli

I'm experiencing the exact same scenario, except we've been using our SlingCatcher with our Sling ProHD for 9 months.  Our sling catcher has been working perfectly from our remote location, and in fact, I used it two days ago.  Today, however, it tells me there are no slingboxes to connect to.  BUT I can connect to our Slingbox via my computer internet with no problem.  What could be the issue?

callanish Apprentice

Doesn't sound like the same scenario as yours because his slingbox HD is available on his slingcatcher; he just can't connect to it, whereas yours isn't even showing up, plus he hasn't yet stated that he has ever been able to connect to this new Slingbox Pro HD remotely through the catcher even though he can connect to his other slingbox's along with the slingplayer app / sling.com. That still tells me his new Slingbox Pro HD hasn't been setup correctly for remote use with his slingcatcher. Your slingbox disappearing entirely is a whole different issue.

When you check into your slingbox account, are there any warning messages coming up under your slingbox model telling you of any remote connection network issues?

Login and verify

http://support.slingbox.com/go/home

Is the slingcatcher network light consistently on?

I would try a reboot of the slingbox and the slingcatcher.

If none of that works, and you've got no network issues when logging into your sling account plus the slingcatcher network light is solid, then it's either slingcatcher network related or there's a problem with the slingcatcher itself.

Maybe someone at sling can post with a suggestion.

jhdewan

Thank you Callanish. I've done the checking as you suggested. Current streaming type is indeed SNATT. So, I need to redo the setup. Problem is, the Slingbox is at a remote location and the setup has to be done at that location. If I do the setup, I believe my problem will be solved.

callanish Apprentice

No problem. I had that same problem being too far away from the Slingbox to do anything about it. I purchased the slingcatcher while I was in the U.S and failed to port forward the router correctly on the U.K side to work with the slingbox, so I also had network connection issues with the catcher. Received helpful advice from one of the moderators on the old slingcommunity forum who suggested I use the free version of logmein to control a computer remotely, so I ended up getting a family member to take a netbook computer back to the U.K from the U.S with the logmein software installed and remotely changed the settings of the router at the house; re-ran the slingbox setup software and got it to work with the catcher succesfully. It's so frustrating when you are so far away and can't do anything about it. It's like an itch you can't scratch.

If you had a friend on the slingbox end, you could get them to load the logmein software / slingplayer software on their laptop, go over to your slingbox location and you could take control of the computer to change the settings in order to get a TCP stream. Might be your best option if you can't be at your slingbox location for a while.

jamesmccourt Novice

Hello,

I am having the same issue but I think my brother will let me jump on his laptop remotely to sort  the router. This process terrifies me but is it really simple? I've read lots about it.

I'm using the HDS-600RS Slingloaded box but I don't think that's the issue. I'm just wondering why the automatic set up on the Sling site doesn't set the box to output TCP without it needing to be done manually?

On Slingplayer it tells me I am receiving a Relay feed currently.

Any extra tips greatly received!

Thanks.

jcastill

I have the same issue as the parent of this post. Yet I do see TCP as my Stream Type.

Sling Mobile does work, but my remote SlingCatcher does not. I should note that the current location of the Slingbox has a slow upload (384kbps) yet nobody is there so upload is "dedicated". SlingPlayer 2.0 on Windows and on Firefox works perfectly as well, it's just Slingcatcher saying it has a network problem.

I even tried to add a Slingbox using the known ip of the Slingbox and the port. This works on the Slingplayer and Sling Mobile yet it throws the same error on the SlingCatcher.

This is driving me crazy. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,

Jose    

acha

I"m having similar problems as well.  From the windows slingplayer app i see that my stream type is relay.  I can connect from the same location with slingmoblie, slingplayer app, and sling.com but i cannot connect from the slingcatcher.  Does the slingcatcher have to somehow communicate with my apple time machine router?

bsheppard Newbie

This is a great thread. After rebooting my slingbox I could not get the catcher to work but could watch on player and iphone. Did the shift+alt+I and found was on SNATT. Got my brother to change router settings (Im in the US) to get TCP and all works. BUT my slingbox status page still has an internet alert warning status. So even if you get TCP and can watch the slingcatcher the status might not change. BTW I have Pro HD in UK using Virgin 50mb DLink DIR615.

jamesmccourt Novice

Hey...So I've got an HDS 600RS (in the UK) but, as far as I can make out, the only difference between that and the Pro HD is the ability to record on its hard-drive (which is fantastic when on a different time zone!).

However, my Slingcatcher with me (in the US) doesn't work and says 'network error'. As the HDS-600RS has an automatic set up I am worried about how I can enable port forwarding. I will add the necessary port to the router and change the stream to TCP but do I then have to perfrom a manual set up of the sling box too?

Thanks for any tips!

J.

bsheppard Newbie

James,

Is this the free sat version you have? I assume you can watch the player on your computer. You can sort out the router and that should fix it - that did it for me. If you are not able to get home, get someone who is by your slingbox to install a computer sharing program like logmein so you can control their laptop and go into the router settings from there - that was how I had to sort mine out. The TCP issue is a pain.

Ben

bschooli

Both Slingbox and Slingcatcher stopped working within one week of each other.  We replaced the power cord (purchased from Sling Media) on the Slingbox and it works just fine now.  Waiting for the power cord to arrive for the Slingcatcher.  We're certain it will be fine once that is replaced.