5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 3:10 PM by stirlingjoel Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox is Managing My Router

ksulliv1 Newbie

Hi, I have had my Slingbox HD Pro set up and working great for about a year now. But recently I am having an issue where every time I try to log into my Netgear WNDR3300 router, I get a page that says "(192.168.1.154) is managing this device". And that is the local IP for my slingbox. If I reboot the router I can connect to it for a very short time and then it just get hijacked again. If I reboot my slingbox, it doesn't seem to fix anything. How can I stop this from happening please?

• Re: Slingbox is Managing My Router
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Did you try powering down your SB, and power down your router.   Then disconnect the SB.  Then power up the router, log in to your router, then change the login ID and login password for your router.  Then power down your router and re-connect your SB.   Then power up both the router and the SB and see if it will work correctly again.

ksulliv1 Newbie

Well I did reboot the router so I could log into it, and then I changed the login credentials, but the slingbox was still able to hijack it after that. Would that accomplish the same thing or would following all of the steps you described make a difference?

chakkarinen Apprentice

I would do all of the power-down stuff again, then, before bringing your SB back online, program your router to set the static IP address of 192.168.1.254 for your SB (you will need the MAC ID address of your SB printed on its bottom to complete this, and your router manual should explain how to program static IP addresses to equipment.   Then forward port 5001 to the static IP address you programmed for your SB.  Then reboot the router and power up the SB at the same time, and see if it works correctly then.

And if your router is still being hijacked, by the SB address ending in 254 or by some other address, then I would suspect that there is some sort of virus or "man-in-the-middle" attack going on in your networked system.   In that case, I would try to check your router to see what devices are connected to it, and any are devices you don't clearly recognize as being legitimate, then see if you can program your router to block access by those suspicous IP addresses to your network.   Since that type of "attacker" may be able to mimic other MAC addresses, then you may need to program your router to ACCEPT only those MAC IDs for your known pieces of equipment and block all others.

stirlingjoel

chakkarinen,

Thanks for trying to help.  I'm having the same problems as the original poster (albeit on a different netgear router and on a slingbox solo).  I'm quite certain that the slingbox itself is the cause of this and not a MITM attack.

I turned off and disconnected all network components.  I rebooted both the router and slingbox settings and started fresh while leaving them both disconnected to the internet (but connected to the internal network), leaving wireless access off on the router, and changing every password associated to the router and to the slingbox.  Bringing the slingbox back online to the internal network as the 2nd component (after the PC) generates the same issue with the router being hijacked within a couple of minutes.

If you can think of an attack vector that I left enabled that would allow a MITM attack in that gap I'd appreciate the input, otherwise I don't believe that this issue is closed.

Anyone know when firmware version 2.1.250 was released for auto-updates?  I'm wondering if this last firmware update caused the issue.

thx for any help anyone can give

ksulliv1 Newbie

I found the only way to fix this issue (because slingbox support wouldn't help me without paying, apparently the $300 I paid for the unit wasn't enough) was to unplug the slingbox from the network, reboot the router, do a factory reset on the slingbox, plug it back in and do a complete setup again just like it was brand new. It has been several weeks now and the issue has not come back, I assume it will some day, but nobody seemed to be able to come up with a fix here or on the Netgear forum either. I am sure Sling has an answer for this, sure would be nice if they would just post it.