10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2010 12:52 PM by eferz Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Problems with Pro HD after upgrade to v1.4.60

SimpleHDUser

Well I have been using slingbox pro hd, slingcatcher, slingplayer (windows XP) and webslingplayer alomst everyday for years now. I had some issue initially and some minor issues all along. But after I upgraded the ProHD to the new 1.4.60 my experience has gone way down hill.

Every few minutes if I am using the slingcatcher or slingplayer, I am getting a pop-up message that reads

"Current network conditions aren't good enough for your video settings. If you've changed streaming settings, consider going to the encoded tab in SlingPlayer Options and re-enabling SlingStream Optimization."

Well I have not changed any options and I have Optimization already selected - and I am still getting these messages.

And also I am not getting a "frozen screen" (but the sound continues) which is also happening almost all the time now - on all 3 receiving platofrms.(cathcer, OS player and web player)

Which is making this basically unusable.

If I could revert the Slingbox back to the older version I would do so in a heartbeat.

• Re: Problems with Pro HD after upgrade to v1.4.60
          SimpleHDUser

I figured out my own issue (finally). I pulled the power plug on my Slingbox ProHD to force a reset.

Then after I connected with the websling player, I had to reconfigure my input to get the remote and the Guide listings back (I noticed that after the reboot, they disappeared).

So now things are working again. I will report if I get other issues.

kevinmkarch

I have not been getting sound when I sling since the firmware update. Things were working perfectly before the latest update, and now I get video, but no sound. I know at least one other person on the forum is having the same issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

robbr Newbie

Have you restarted your Pro?  Also, what is it connected to?  Sometimes I have to restart my D* HD box because the sound dies on it.  I'd suggest restarting everything that is connected to the Sling as well as the Sling.

rbross

I have been using my Pro-HD for 2 years without issues.  Now after a few minutes, Slingplayer freezes and I get the insufficient bandwidth message.

Also, Slingplayer on Mac, Windows, and iPhone display properly (when not freezing), but the Mac Web plugin never gets the resolution correct (see attachment).

I can't understand why Sling will not allow users to roll back at least to the previous version of firmware.  My setup just went from great to suck.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

gcomes

It was only last year I was able to find legacy slingplayer versions which I nolonger can find.  I need an older rev that does not require the IR Blaster to control the HD Pro tunner.  Any help?

eferz Expert

None of the Slingplayers versions require the IR blasters for the internal tuner of the PRO-HD.

The IR Blasters are only required when controlling a seperate set-top box.

Perhaps you need to walk through the video source set up for "ANT IN" once more for it to rescan your available channels.

You can get other Slingplayer versions from this site (http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/slingplayer-download-windows-mac-and-more/)

gcomes

efrez,

Thanks for the excellent help.  Thanks for the excellent suggestions.  When I added the external box I ran the coax through the external (Scientific Atlanta 8240 HD) first then to the HD Pro.  I think with this coaxial routing and IR blaster is required. I lost my Slingbox IR blaster cables in a house fire but used the extra IR blaster cable from the Logitech Harmony Universal remote with 3.5mm trs plug which worked fine for the HD Pro.

I would assume if one didn't want to depend on IR controls one should route the coaxial through the HD Pro first then to the Scientific Atlanta external box secondly. This would limit the available channels to the standard channels available via the coaxial cable i.e.no premium channels provided by the external box.

I'm still working on controlling the external box via a Blackberry 9700 Bold.  Without changing the software version on the Blackberry 9700 Bold, I noticed additional buttons related to the external box on the BB such as "record, list, live tv, etc.".  I have since lost those buttons and now have only the basic channel up, down, favorite buttons.

I'm mostly functional with both the notebook and the Blackberry platforms and am open to suggestions regarding the BB.

Thanks again,

G

eferz Expert

gcomes wrote:

Thanks for the excellent help.  Thanks for the excellent suggestions.  When I added the external box I ran the coax through the external (Scientific Atlanta 8240 HD) first then to the HD Pro.  I think with this coaxial routing and IR blaster is required.

Yes, that's correct.  That's because you need to control the Scientific Atlanta 8240 to change the channels.

I lost my Slingbox IR blaster cables in a house fire but used the extra IR blaster cable from the Logitech Harmony Universal remote with 3.5mm trs plug which worked fine for the HD Pro.

In case you need replacement parts, you can get them here. (http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts)

I would assume if one didn't want to depend on IR controls one should route the coaxial through the HD Pro first then to the Scientific Atlanta external box secondly. This would limit the available channels to the standard channels available via the coaxial cable i.e.no premium channels provided by the external box.

That's correct because the Slingbox Pro-HD's hybrid tuner only supports unencrypted Quadrature amplitude modulatiom (clear QAM), Avanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC), or Over the Air (OTA) signals.

I'm still working on controlling the external box via a Blackberry 9700 Bold.  Without changing the software version on the Blackberry 9700 Bold, I noticed additional buttons related to the external box on the BB such as "record, list, live tv, etc.".  I have since lost those buttons and now have only the basic channel up, down, favorite buttons.

I would recommend a couple of things.

Connect the Scientific Atlanta 8240 HD to your Slingbox Pro-HD with something better than Coax.  You should take advantage of the better connections available from your set-top box (Component, S-Video, Composite, over Coax).

Also, to enable the full control compatibility, I would recommend that you walk through Slingplayer Desktop then Settings | Setup Assistant and Configure Video Source for the respective connection input.  Make sure to chose "Cable Box" as Device Type, "Scientific Atlanta" as manufacturer, and "Explorer 8240HD" as the model.

gcomes

eferz,

Thanks again for your thourough and excelent help however when I follow your suggestion and connect from Scientific Atlanta/Explorer 8240HD to Slingbox HD Pro using Component cables I have to disconnect the HDMI cable from SA/8240HD to Sony Amp/AV distribution box (Sony Amp has HDMI and component in but only HDMI out which goes to TV via HDMI).  i.e.  it doesn't seem alowable to output HDMI and Component simultaneously (HDMI to TV and component to SB/HD Pro)

Previously I was successfuly using  SA/8240HD -> coax -> SB/HD Pro and simultaneously SA/8240HD -> HDMI -> Sony Amp  -> HDMI -> TV. ....then without changing anything I lost audio to all remote devices (Sony notebook or Blackberry Bold 9700).

In short, I have lost audio to any internet device (pc and mobile) whether connecting via coax (previously working connection schema) or newly connected component.  I have gone through the Slingmedia setup many times and cannot find a solution to the audio issue.

So, if I could resolve the audio issue with component connections I could connect everything with component and HDMI from Sony Amp to TV.

Additonal help is always appreciated.

Thanks

eferz Expert

Hmmm... I fear your cable provider is catching up with FCC regulation.  Specifically with Selectable Output Control (SOC).

SOC is a content protection Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology that is incorporated into approved devices that enables your cable company to disable non-secure audio-video output by encoding the video with a specific signal. In practice, SOC aims to limit the output of high definition video over non-secure analog outputs such as component video connections.

When enabled, SOC will only output high definition content over a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) to devices that are High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) approved. This means that when SOC is enabled for a program, older televisions that do not have an HDMI port or are not HDCP compliant will not be able to view content. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has, until recently, had a ban on the use of SOC.

In short, try removing the HDMI connection from your SA/8240HD, and see if your sound comes back.