8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 2:38 PM by rnjw RSS

Buyer beware!

rnjw

Not sure why anyone would want to use a Slingbox product anymore, but if so, beware. I have had the Slingbox pro for over a year and it has caused me way more headaches than time speant actually watching tv. I have asked around our expat community and the responses are all the same. No one uses it because it never works. Just wanted potential customers to know how poor the product is. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Re: Buyer beware!
          OvCollyer Apprentice

In the interests of balance and just to offer the polar opposite point of view - I originally had a Slingbox classic, then a SOLO and now a Pro-HD which overall spans several years now and I can't remember having a significant problem that I can blame on the product. Maybe I've been lucky!

I've also used Slingcatcher and the player software on Mac, PC, iPhone and iPad, plus the web player and I've found the system as a whole to be excellent. It's been a great way to keep up with UK TV while abroad. I know there are various alternatives these days where you can use VPN services with BBC iPlayer, Sky Go etc, but I've yet to find anything as reliable or that give me the equivalent of my full Sky+ subscription plus PVR on every device, including on the TV with a proper remote, wherever I am in the World.

I imagine it'd probably be of greater benefit to potential customers if you offer a little detail as to what has gone wrong for you...

loganzuber Newbie

I 2nd what you said.  What people dont't realize is the fact that it may just be your ISP that sucks or just lack of knowledge how to set up.  Verizon fios was zippie help getting the port forwarding working and yet I figured it out on my own after some playing around with the settings

rnjw

Guide me in the right direction and I will give it a try playing around with the settings. Also, what is a good indicator of my ISP sucking?

In response, I never have to play around with settings while streaming video online and my Internet connection is always very fast when I stream tv. If my ISP sucked, wouldn't I have trouble streaming video? Finally, I feel as if it is probably set up correctly given it works for a short time. I may be wrong though.

Just wondering because you are right, I am not a computer technincian and I lack a great bit of Slingbox knowledge. Please help! Thanks!

rnjw

Thanks for your reply and in response to your last statement, you are right. I should have mentioned what was wrong rather than just my opinion. Here is what I experience. If you have any advice, please let me know.

I log in to my slingbox. Sometimes it gets a connection and sometimes it doesn't. When I am lucky enough to get a connection, it lasts for about 20 minutes. Then message I got each time is There's a problem connecting to your slingbox. Do you want to retry? I click YES and it still won't work. If I come back in a few days, it usually connects for a short time, then starts all over again. Furthermore, The remote buttons don't work correctly for me. I have upgraded, but that doesnt seem to improve. I know it is not a speed issue as I stream lots of television. Both internet connections involved are fast and both have been tested at times of trouble. 

To top it off, my 2 phone calls over the year to Slingbox have ended poorly. Not sure if this is the case now as I have not called in some time, but you do have to pay for customer support. I see both sides of that arguement, but unfortunately it is salt to the wound for those having troubles.

The only reason I bought Slinbox Pro was for NFL. Now that I have NFL network, I never watch Slingbox. Yesterdays frustrations which led to my comment came from me trying to allow my neighbors to use our Sling Account because the one they own would not get a connection. With that being said, NFL Network and all other means of streaming live feed have been much easier options for my family. Though you have to pay for NFL network, it is worth it. Everything else, we are able to watch for free via networks and so on. There are some shows we miss, but so be it. With the ease of streaming online these days, it is my opinion Slingbox is not the best option.

Again, thank you for your opposite view. If you have any pointers, please let me know. In the mean time, I just can't Slingbox any more as it is much too stressful!

OvCollyer Apprentice

Ok if I was in that situation then I'd obviously share your frustration.

I'd first make sure I'd read all the support articles concerning low/stuttering streaming and make sure I'd tried everything suggested.

I'd read up on the streaming types TCP and SNATT and try both. TCP is the default but I've noticed some people can get a better stream using SNATT. I think you can force SNATT by disabling your TCP port forwarding though I'd Google it and see what others have tried.

I'd run a 'trace route' from the place you are using your slingplayer to your Slingbox and see if any of the hops are taking longer than normal. Do you know anybody in a completely different location who could test out your SB? You might be able to establish which end of the connection is causing your issues.

I'd try and use a different port to 5001 and see if that helps. Perhaps your ISP at either end is throttling you. I've seen the suggestion to try port 443.

Obviously if you've paid the cash then you expect it to work, but the trouble with Slingbox is that there are so many outside factors that determine how well it works. Trouble is you need an unrealistic level of knowledge of all this stuff to have much hope of solving it yourself!

It might be an issue of course with your SB hardware.

callanish Apprentice

Got to defend Slingmedia on this one as well. Running my Solo since July 2009 from the U.K to the U.S slinging to a P.C, an iphone and a slingcatcher. Have rarely had any issues. Any problems I did have was originally with a slingcatcher network problem and that was because I didn't port forward the router correctly in the U.K. Other than that, I've been pretty happy overall. Believe me, if my Slingbox went south and I had nothing but problems, I'd be complaining, but to counterbalance your argument, my slingbox has been working fine since day one.

desmopedro

#1....I LOVE my Slingbox SOLO!!!! I HAD a Sony Location Free player...... compared to my Sling box...it's OK at best!! PLUS I can watch it on my Android!!!

My advice.... the problem may be with your ISP!!!! If I am not mistaken....some ISP CHANGE ports they will allow in/out traffic on!!!! So you may have the 5001 port blocked at some points....as the ISP do NOT want people hosting web sites at home!!!

Again...just my 2 cents....

OR...try buying a Location Free Player on eBay....Thay are cheap!!! And see if you have the same problem.....

rnjw

Hey guys! Thanks so much for all the feedback and attempts to convert me back. For a less technical consumer, I still think online streaming is the easiest, cheapest and less time consuming. However, if I had the knowledge that you guys did, I can see where the Slingbox is a great option! I especially admire you guys sticking around the forum to help others, despite not having troubles yourself. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!