6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2012 7:47 AM by RafaelB RSS

HD Slingbox is managing my Router and I can't log into my router

rmeador

What gives. When I try to login to my Router from my home computer i get a message that says 192.164.1.X is managing this device. This is my Slingbox IP Address, I've unplugged the cable and gotten control back to my home computer to the router but when I plug the Slingbox network cable back into the router it takes control again. What gives?

• Re: HD Slingbox is managing my Router and I can't log into my router
          Davejb

I just started having this same issue. Slinbox (solo) has been set up for 2 years, no changes, still works fine. But out of the blue I can't log on to my Netgear router unless I remove the Slingbox from the network as I get the "IP (slingbox address) is managing this device". I only see one other thread on here discussing it and who ever replied did not have a grasp of what thr problem was, so no solution.

The Netgear log shows a bunch of these "[Admin login] from source 192.168.10.19, Sunday, Dec 04,2011 15:55:44", that is the Slingbox IP address.

I never gave the slingbox the router logon info during setup as I have it's IP assigned as static on the router with port forwarding set up there as well.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Sounds a bit to me like your system might have been hacked in some fashion.   I would suggest removing the SB after powering everything done.  Then restart the router only and change its login ID and password.  Then program the router to assign a static IP address to the SB.  Then program the router to forward port 5001 to that static IP.   Then power down the router, reconnect the SB, power up the router and the slingbox (while pressing the reset button on the SB) and see if the problem has dissapeared.

DPutignano Newbie

In the Netgear forum  (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=66893 just an example) there  are other customers complaining about the IP x.x.x.254.

I  remember I had a similar problem with Netgear when I accessed the  router with one computer....closed the webpage clicking on X and then  trying accessing from another PC. I resolved that my upgrading the  router firmware. Check if on the Netgear main website there's a new  firmware version for your router.

If not, try to reboot  your router, this should clear its memory that records the last IP that  accessed the router menu. Once inside, assign another IP to the  Slingbox so it won't be using x.x.x.254 again.

Keep in mind though that the Slingbox itself is not capable of loggin in your router (administrator nor user).

Davejb

This is all basic networking 101 stuff, was tried and failed a while ago. Don't know why your assuming my Slingbox is .254 (it's .19). No the Slingbox should not be logging on to the router, in fact it can't as it doesn't have the username or password, but it remains that it's doing something. The router has been hard reset (and is on the current firmware) and settings rebuilt from scratch, and just tonight I hard reset the Slingbox and went through the setup wizard again. As soon as it was online the problem returned.

Apprentice

Hi rmeador and all, the best way to resolve this issue is the following:

-Close the Slingplayer.
                  -Power cycle your router.
                  -Once the router is back again go ahead and login into the router from your computer.
                  -Now open Setup.slingbox.com and choose the option for Internet Viewing.
                  -You may need to manually access your router and open the port 5001 for the Slingbox.

Below I am adding a link for a guide that you can use to set up your router.

Network Assistant.

Regards.