9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2012 10:00 AM by bmukamal Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox suddenly unable to connect

Ump25 Newbie

My father, who has been able to connect to my Slingbox Pro HD without a problem, suddenly is unable to. When he logs in with his Email address and password, he now gets this error message:

There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Make sure that your  Slingbox is ON and connected to your network. Also check that firewall  and router allow access. Do you want to retry?

Any idea of what may be causing this and why it suddenly popped up?

• Re: Slingbox suddenly unable to connect
          JeffVL

Same error here...really frustrating.  I unplug the router and slingbox....restart everything.  It works for a while and then blows up with the same error.

I just got this today and am now VERY upset that this is a bad purchase and total piece of you know what.

chakkarinen Apprentice

When you lose connection to your slingbox, are any of the lights flashing or on steady -- such as the horseshoe lights in the center, or the network lights along the right front?   If so, you symptoms might be indicative of a failing power supply -- apparently this happens even to newer units.    In another post, someone has found that a universal power supply with 4.5 volts and 1200 milliamperehour capacity works well as a replacement, if you can't readily get a free replacement from Sling Media (which I'm told they will provide if your SB is still under warranty).   I've not experienced this failure myself, but I did notice my SB was very warm to the touch, so I moved it out of my media cabinet into the open air and extended the "feet" on its bottom to allow more air to circulate around it.   So far, I've not had such a power supply failure as other owners have been reporting.

Novice

Hi Ump25,

What I'm getting from your post, is that the Slingbox is not connecting from one specific computer.

In this case and since it is working from the SlingPlayer Mobile and a different computer, it could be a problem with the security settings or even a network or streaming restriction from his side.

You can check the following links about it.

Some Internet security and personal firewall software may interfere with your Slingbox, SlingPlayer or Setup Assistant

Solving general problems with Internet Viewing

Regards.

Ump25 Newbie

Neither one of those suggestions is helpful at all.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Since you have it working from several IP address locations (yours, your sisters, etc), then I would suspect that there is a problem that is quite specific to your father's location.   So I would start by having your father reboot his router. 

You didn't say what method your father had been using to view your slingbox -- a web browser (IE? Firefox? Chrome?) or the standalone Sling Player software?

Some of these software have had problems in viewing when an update of the software took place (such as Firefox 7 upgrading to Firefox 8).  Such a change might have been done automatically without your father realizing that it had happened.

If that is the case, I would suggest having your father clear out any cookies related to "Slingbox" or "slingmedia" saved with that browser, then rebooth the browser software and go to http://watch.slingbox.com.  The software might then ask him to update the Slingmedia plugin, which he should do according to the instructions that appear on screen.    Then, see if his access to your SB is restored.    Report back with any error messages he gets after that and other forum members will try to assist further in troubleshooting the problem.

Ump25 Newbie

Nope. This didn't help either. Unlike the poster below, my father cannot watch from the web site or through desktop software. Neither works.

He has reset his router, turned off his anti-virus program temporarily, and more. Despite all attempts to view my Slingbox, he's unable to do so.

obbybl

I think the wounderful people at sling box updated their system. I found that one day last week I could no longer connect remotely. However if I went to slingbox.com and went to "watch" and log on I could watch from work.

bmukamal

same problem here - I posted on a different discussion and sling was not helpful in resolving - the box simply no longer connects to the network EVEN WHEN HARDWIRED.  The timing of my failure is the same as yours which leads me to wonder if Sling did something that messed up a bunch of people's units.  Sling support??? A little help would be nice.