3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2011 11:33 AM by sboinov RSS

Back from vaca, horribly slow connection speeds. What's up?

traversh

Fairly new slingbox PRO HD.  Bought and connected since April.  Live in Switzerland, box in Los Altos, CA.

Been here since May.  It has worked like a charm, obtaining download speeds of ~2000 - 2500 kbps on average.  Not quite HD, but good enough.

Return after being stateside for 2.5 weeks, connecting to the sligbox along the way - Maui, San Luis Obispo, and on the home network.  Things worked great.  Struggled obtaining a strong signal in a hotel room in London, but that was because the Internet connection was horrid.

So, come home, ready to continue to enjoy my Slingbox to find painfully, frighteningly slow connection speeds - ~150 - 250 kbps.

From office with super big pipe, things yesterday were great.  Today from office, slow.

From home, past three days, things are slow via normal setup.  I have a US VPN account.  Received better speeds for a while via US VPN.  Today, slow on both.  Use speed test off VPN, getting a max of like 25 Mbps download.  With VPN on, as high as 3MBps download.

The inconsistencies make it difficult to tell if its the upload speeds or the downloads speeds.

Few questions:

Has anyone out there experience such inconsistencies after having such great success?  Do I have any options remotely?

Why would i get better slingbox performance when logged into a US VPN account at 3Mbps vs. direct connect at 25Mbps?

Thanks in advance for any support or input.

• Re: Back from vaca, horribly slow connection speeds. What's up?
          Apprentice

Hi, traversh

It seems that you are having some issues with your Slingbox PRO-HD since you are not able to keep a steady connection speed.

The first thing to check is the reliability of the Internet connection speed on both ends. Even though you might have a good connection speed on both ends, it does not mean that the available bandwidth will be enough.

With this in mind, I encourage you to check the following link in order to know if the network (on both ends) meet the requirements for HD streaming.

Tech Specs for Slingbox PRO-HD

If your network meets the requirements, I recommend you to reset the Slingbox PRO-HD and run the Setup Assistant for Internet Viewing one more time.

How to reset your Slingbox to factory settings

Manual Setup for the Slingbox PRO-HD

Regards

traversh

Thanks for the input Ranaleon,

Here are steps I took in order to resolve my issues:

1. Contacted my local ISP provider.  Had them in a sense reset my internet connection.  Did not do the trick
              2. Had someone reset the Slingbox.  Did not immediately resovle the issue.
              3. Had Comcast, the host ISP send a reset ping to the modem.  At first, did not see an improvement.  Tried it again from the IVR system and was able to achieve the speeds in which I expect.

Just some input for anyone else that has experienced similar issues.

sboinov

I'm having exactly the same problem. My box is in Bulgaria and I was  connecting with 1300-1500kbps , and i was so happy, i was planning to  get the hd box and send it over. From few days it is very, very slow  -150-200kb. I am wondering if there is any problem with the sling's  servers  which I'm pretty sure, but they will not admit it....

Please let me know if you find something!