3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2011 9:30 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Several queries.

rudyhamzah

I am anxiously waiting for Slingbox to be launched in Singapore. According to a Slingmedia rep, it is slated to be in Singapore market at the end of year (i.e. end 2011).

As such, could anyone (preferably Slingmedia) provide me with an affirmative confirmation that Slingbox WILL be made available to Singapore market?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At this moment, I admit that I am a little too eager to wait for it that I tried downloading the Slingplayer Mobile onto my Motorola Xoom (model: MZ601) running on Android 3.1. But I was pretty disappointed that it was not available on the Android Market nor am I able to install it directly from the AM website. One reason/error that I received is "it's not compatible with your MZ601".

My question is, once Slingbox is launched in Singapore would the Slingplayer Mobile be available on the Android Market too? If so, is there a reason for concern if I am not able to install it [Slingplayer Mobile] on my Xoom Android 3.1 (MZ601)?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On another aspect, I've just upgraded my 16Mbps coaxial cable connection to 50Mbps fibre-optics connection. This is my own preparation to enhance the signal transmission. Besides a good connection, what other non-Slingmedia peripherals should I have as well? A router? What else?

Regards.

• Re: Several queries.
          chakkarinen Apprentice

While I am not a Sling Media employee or representative, I think it is wise under any circumstances to put a router between your modem and your Slingbox.   Plus, you will want to have a computer connected to the same local area network when you set up your slingbox's operation -- a router will simplify this process.    Having a 50 MBPS connection at the location of your SB is probably "overkill" for streaming the media, based on the current steaming data sizes and the electronics of the Slingbox.   But do remember that your ACTUAL streaming speeds will be determined by the SLOWEST link in the system.   So, for example, if you are watching the streaming signal from another country and the download speed of your internet connection is, say, 2 MBPS, then your streaming speeds will be no faster than 2 MBPS, and probably substantially slower due to overhead.   And there could well be "interconnection linkages" in the Internet Land between your SB and your viewing computer that you will have no control over, and hence could really be the determining factors for your streaming speeds.