1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 19, 2011 6:53 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Have a partitioned hard drive...local drive named "I"...sling player set up not recognizing/not installing?  Help please!

ShadowDarner

Due to a hard drive failure last summer, my hard drive was partitioned and my "new" local drive named "I".  My "C" drive is not visible to me or to sling player set up.  How can I get sling player to understand that "I" is my "C" drive and should be where the installation takes place?

Thanks much for any insight at all!

• Re: Have a partitioned hard drive...local drive named "I"...sling player set up not recognizing/not installing?  Help please!
          chakkarinen Apprentice

I think the answer to your issue involves doing some changes within the computer's OS and not with the SB.   I've never applied this type of change myself, but, for example, here is a Question and Answer that I just found on the techimo.com website for a Windows computer.   I would bet that where, in this case, the "other drive" is a memory card slot, it could just as easily apply to your situation where the "other drive" is another hard drive partition.

Perhaps you can first test this solution on another machine where you can always restore the original setup later if this doesn't work?

Question:

Just setup WinXP on nForce4 mobo with striped SATAs and a USB multi-memory card reader for digital cameras.  When installation finished, the boot drive became drive "H" instead of "C"

I know this isn't the end of the world but I'd like to keep the boot  drive as "C" since a lot of software assumes it to be (and because I  keep forgetting where my Windows files are).  What it calls "C" is  actually a removable memory card slot.

Can I change the drive letter without reinstalling Windows?  I assume  not, but if I reinstall Windows will I need to disconnect or disable USB  (in BIOS) so XP setup doesn't see the card reader? 

Then, what happens when I reconnect the card reader (after install is complete)?  Will Windows screw up the drive letter  assignment next time it boots, or will "C" be "set in stone" for  the  boot drive?

Answer:

you do not need to start over.

go to start, control panel, administrative tools, computer management,  disk management, and then right click the current c drive and change the  letter to something that's not being used.  Then select your harddrive  and change its letter to c