4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 1:31 PM by melohn RSS

Controlling Slingcatcher to Dish/Sling adapter

melohn

I just recently got a Sling Adapter for my 722K dish receiver. I can connect my Slng Catcher to it without problems, but unlike connecting to a remote Sling box, I get only a subset of the remote functions available; I can play, pause, rewind, and select a specific channel, but there is no way to select the DVR function, or program the color keys the way that you can do on a conventional Sling Box. Is there any way to accomplish this? I noticed that the Dish Online service allows you to access the same functions remotely, but it handles DVR, Guide, etc in its own way; I just want to play previously recorded content from my Dish DVR on my Slingcatcher device.

Thanks,

Bill

• Re: Controlling Slingcatcher to Dish/Sling adapter
          Apprentice

Hi melohn,

I don't think that the issue is caused by the Sling Adapter, I recommend to run the Setup on Slingbox.com at home to check the remote properties and confirm that you have selected DVR and not cable box, that should give you all the buttons on the virtual remote control at the end of the setup.

Hope this helps

Regards

jamesmccourt Novice

The way I did it was by trial and error.

You got to the program guide and press the colored buttons on the Catcher remote and see if they do anything. You already probably know what they should do (in my case +2.5 hours, -2.5 hours, +1 day, -1 day) and then if the colored buttons aren't performing the correct funtion, click the OPT button on the catcher remote and set the offending colored button to another of the options on the catcher. Mine just says things like 'custom 22' etc but you have no way of knowing what those commands relate to so it literally is trial and error. Eventually I got all my Catcher colored buttons correctly performing the commands they were supposed to.

I'm guessing you could do the same but it takes some time and patience!

aesterling1

Did you have the Sling Catcher working with your Dish Sling Adapter previously? What made it stop working? I'm in the same sitution but was never to get it to start. Please let me know, thanks!

melohn

I could make it work, not consistently, but fairly often, when my sling adapter was at one location and my sling catcher at another, separated by Internet connectivity that was not too slow, but not too fast. Any slower than 300kbits wouldn't be watchable, and any faster than 1.5mbits and the sling catcher would lock up. The less jitter, the more reliable it was.

What I find very frustrating is the logical sling catcher replacement, the WD live box, doesn't work with the sling adapter, apparently because Sling thinks it is a Dish product and Dish thinks its a Sling product. C'mon guys, you are all part of the same company!

Bill