3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 8:39 PM by chakkarinen RSS

help in brasil

craig5811

i am in brasil and have 2 meg internet service. for 5 days now my slingbox speed says its only getting 50-100 kbs. vidieo is very hacked up,slow ect....i know my speed in brasil is good,but.  apprx 7 days ago i got internet service. the sling box worked perfect! h.d. and everything. sling speed was 1.5-2.0 megs. i was happy. now all of the sudden i cant get the speed up. any answers. help,craig....p.s. i have sling box pro h.d. and windows 7 

• Re: help in brasil
          chakkarinen Apprentice

If you have been using your SB extensively, you might check with your Internet Service Provider to see if they may have throttled down your access.   I know that some ISPs limit the total data transfer per month, based on the service contract.   In my case, my ISP will limit me to 250 gigabytes of data transfer per month.   If I exceed that limit they will "strongly encourage" me to purchase a higher priced "business contract" with a higher data transfer limit.

craig5811

thanks for your reply,just got home and installed the new update sling sent...my s.b. is ok now. im getting at least 1 meg reading on my screen. maybe something in the u.s.? my internet service provider said no,they do not limit bites. hope it stays this way,....i dont know how the data transfer works? if i have 2 megs comming into my computer,and my slingbox says i only have 50-100 kbs....then what? is the internet in the us slow at my s.b. sending slow signals?

thansk again!

chakkarinen Apprentice

I have, at times, estimated the size of tv shows that I sling based on the size of the program when I save it locally on my Tivo.  For basic quality at standard definition, this will typically be about 700 MB per hour -- and several times more if displaying in HD.   But you can do some near-real-time tests of your own data transfer amounts through your Windows PC with free software such as Networx, which you can find at http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/