2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2012 9:58 AM by gotmypug RSS

Router setup

Thorkil

I can't get my slingbox on the internet.

I have linked my computer and slingbox pro hd to a wireless router. The wireless router is linked to my modem.

Could that be why i can't get it on the internet? Do i need to setup my modem as i did on the router?

• Re: Router setup
          chakkarinen Apprentice

I would first connect the SB (at least temporarily for the setup routine) to your router with an ethernet cable.  Before powering up the SB, I would program your router to assign a static IP address to your SB.   How you exactly do this depends on your brand and model of router, but if your router has the IP address 192.168.1.1, then I would program the router to assign the static IP address 192.168.1.254 to your SB.   You typically need the MAC ID of your SB to do this, which is printed on a label on the bottom of the SB.  Next, I would program your router to forward port 5001 (for both TCP and UDP protocols) to the static IP address that you have assigned to your SB.  Then reboot the router and power up the SB, and you should find your SB able to talk to your router.  Then use your computer to run the setup routine for the Slingbox.

Report back to this forum if you continue to have problems, with descriptions of any error messages you receive.

• Re: Router setup
              gotmypug

How do I program the router to assign a static IP address?  Network light keeps flashing. I've tried resetting, unpluging, resetting router. At a loss for what to do and don't understand programing a static IP address.