23 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2010 12:24 PM by kellyannimal Branched to a new discussion. RSS

New update version 1.4.60 what is in it?

SimpleHDUser

I was just told of the update to the Slinbox Pro HD to version 1.4.60, I am just wondering what is in this release.

Plus, why was it that when I clicked on Updates from the Web interface it said I did not need an update (when I was on 1.3.170)

But when I went into SlingPlayer it poped-up to tell me there was an update?

• Re: New update version 1.4.60 what is in it?
          alanrichey42 Master

In my experince Sling have never issued Release notes for any firmware upgrade.  Normally it is just bug-fixes and stream improvements.

Drew345

I'd really like to see some release notes too. I am overseas for the next few months and wondering if I should do this update for my slingbox. I know it is recommended not to update my slingbox until back home (slingbox location), so I am holding off now. If it is important enough, then I can get a family member at home to be ready to help do this update.

I will probably hold off unless it is something wonderful like improving picture quality for a given bandwidth.

Thanks, Drew

Resist Newbie

The update is not for your web interface software, 1.4.60 is a firmware update for the box itself.

The only thing I know for sure about 1.4.60 is that it hasn't fixed any of the studdering or lagging of video to audio, that I have been experiencing with the computer software version.  But the web app version seems pretty good.

gmcmenimen

I did the update from the player and now even though I see the Guide I see no TV display showing.   I can use the remote and change channels but no TV display.  I also get no sound.  I thought the firmware upgrade also rebooted the Slingbox?  Either way do I need to reboot the Slingbox again?

wysiwyg

I installed the update to my Slingbox PRO-HD which I have located in France. I did the firmware upgrade remotely, which is not recommended but had to take the risk since it was giving me so many problems already.

Anyhow, I have to say that the update resolved all the issues I had with my Slingbox Pro-HD! I had constant problems with break up/freeze in fast moving scenes, all of which are gone in this release. You just get a bit of pixelization, which is to be expected in any digital compression. It also sometimes reduces the framerate, but recovers back in without delay. The audio seems to be better in synch with the video and never breaks out. One additional important improvement is that I can now stream in 640*480 which is something the older firmware couldn't handle at my 860kbps connection.

So, I'm am very happy with this upgrade! Thanks Slingmedia for finally fixing my box! It now works the way it was suppose to.

p.s. All testing above was performed via my Slingcatcher.

gmcmenimen

So I rebooted the Slingbox and I still get no picture or no sound.  I think I can change the channels using the guide and the remote but who would know.  I can't even see the picture.  And I also tried running it on the web interface with no luck.  So it is definitely the Slingbox.  Am I going to have to reset the Slingbox?  I can't believe that others are not having this problem.

gmcmenimen

So after finally doing a reset and going through the process of setting it back up again it finally work....  For two days it worked and I was getting full HD.  Now I am back to the same no picture and no sound.  So I decided that, as a software developer, I was going to give the award to the developers of the firmware the "It Works On My Machine" certification (http://jcooney.net/archive/2007/02/01/42999.aspx).  I have now become the tester and the forum is where we tell them the defects I guess.  Since I bought it a month ago I should probably take it back but for all that have to pay the $30 fee just to talk to them it is a shame.

gmcmenimen

Just to update this post I have reset the Slingbox a couple of times now and it is working so far as giving me video and sound but I am now getting the freezing problems that the SOLO people are experiencing (https://community.sling.com/message/3444) which is even more interesting since it looks like Sling has acknowledged that the firmware they added has a problem with the video streaming.  I am now getting the freeze frequently and it has me wondering if this was what was happening with my box all along.  By the way I am getting 2400Kbps on my end so it cannot be my ISP source.

What I finally ended up doing to get my box to work was to reset the slingbox by unplugging the router and the slingbox after hitting the reset.  Waited for about 3 minutes then did the setup on the web player.  Worked great for a couple of days then the box stopped working with no picture or sound again.  Now after doing the same reset steps I get video and audio but now with the freezing picture while optimizing.  If you read the link above scroll down and you will find that Sling media support has had people go buy new routers and new power sources but according to the posts the fix never worked.  It is also bad advice and not the fix.  It worked great before the firmware upgrade and now...

My box was only three weeks old when they did the upgrade so it was not an old box.  It seems that the box has to be replaced so that is what we will do.  I am hoping that they are getting a fix out soon.  I feel I wasted $299 on a brick.   

kevinmkarch

I am getting no sound ever since the firmware update. I've tried 3 different computers, and a variety of networks, reset my slingbox, and still no sound--which has only been a problem since this new update. Good job, Slingmedia! I have found at least 2 other people in the forums who are having the same issue. If you are getting no sound since the 1.4.60 update, please post, because there can't simply be 3 of us with the problem. If anyone has had the issue, were they able to get it resolved? My slingbox Pro-HD just fell out of its warranty period, and I don't want to have to pay Slingmedia the money to fix a problem that shouldn't be happening to begin with. 

Resist Newbie

Well it appears my studdering/lagging issues are the fault of my slow laptop computer and its wireless G connection.  I just watched a movie on a faster Macbook that has a wireless N connections and it was smooth with very little audio/video sync issues.  Now if Slingbox would just include a pause buffer with the Mac version, like they have for the PC version of their software.

mbarrett

where can i get the firmware from can someone post a link?

wysiwyg

Hello, you will be prompted to install the update when youy launch your SlingPlayer application and make a connection to your slingbox. I don't believe the update is applicable to all models, so if you are not prompted, it's either not needed for your device or someone else has already applied it.

jacken

I get the message that I need to update my Pro-HD, but after 25% downloading I get an error and it does not continue..!!!!!  I've connected the box directly to my router and tried again to no avail....  Do I just ignore the update message????

pjharg

Another upgrade that looks too risky to install