22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2012 10:44 PM by kenkoval RSS

Really, really, slow streaming  kbps's!!!!

dhlair

HELP!!! when I use my Slingbox overseas remotely, I'm using an ISP package with tested speeds of 5.0 MBPS download and 1.0 MBPS upload, but when I sign in to my Slingbox at home, I only get a miserable stream of  200Kbpi and barely get a decent standard quality picture! What can I do to increase this?? I'm aching for a better picture!! Thanks for any help.

• Re: Really, really, slow streaming  kbps's!!!!
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Just so I understand your question correctly, are you saying that the ISP where your SB is physically located has been tested to provide 5 MBPS download and 1 MBPS upload speeds?   If that is correct, then I would guess that the UPLOAD speed for this ISP where your SB is physically connected to the Internet is too slow for reliable SB streaming.   I tried an "economy" 1 MBPS upload service at my SB location (thinking I could save some money) and after one month switched back to a 3 MBPS upload service.   Too much stalling and stuttering at the 1 MBPS upload speed service when streaming the SB.

dhlair

Negative! where my SB is located, the ISP is at 20MB, the figures I provided are at the PC in a foreign country where I am receiving the video from my SB. From what I understand, upload and download are not necessarily indicative of what you'll get for streaming speed and that is my problem. I need an answer on how to improve the streaming speed. Thanks

chakkarinen Apprentice

I think your MAXIMUM streaming speed would be the lesser of the UPLOAD speed of the ISP where the SB is physically located, and the DOWNLOAD speed of the ISP where you are viewing the stream on your compute.   Given considerations for overhead, and routing of the signals through the internet, etc, the ACTUAL streaming speed will be much less that the MAXIMUM (theoretical) speeds.   If the ISP where your SB is located is offering 20 MBPS UPLOAD speeds, and the ISP where you are viewing offers 5 MBPS DOWNLOAD speeds, then that should be adequate to view with at least several hundred KBPS streaming.   So, I suspect some constrictions on the routing of your streaming signal from SB to computer.   You might consider checking with both of the ISPs (at SB and at computer) to see if they introduce any dramatic speed reductions if you exceed a certain data transfer amount.   For example, my ISP only allows 250 GB of data transfer per month on my account, or else they will drastically cut my speeds and "urge" me to upgrade my Internet service to a more expense "business account".

Apprentice

Hi dhlair and all, we are aware about the difficulties connecting to your Slingboxes at this time. We're working to resolve this issue as quickly as we can. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience. We'll update this notice when we have more information.

Regards.

sst36

I've commented on this issue previously in another post. I didn't note then that the streaming rate is the same for both the home network and over the Internet. The latest is that a few days ago things went back to normal with no changes made on my part. The Slingbox pro was streaming over the Internet at between 1200-1500kbps and well over 3200kbps on the home network. Unfortunately, that didn't last and am now back to 200kbps or less. I have searched extensively and there seems to be no solution or workaround.

ejortiz

I'm having the same problem!.  At SB location (PERU) the ISP speed is of 10mbps(download)/1mbps(upload), usually it streams at 950kbps when I'm in the US, but since last night the streaming slowed down to an average of 100kbps making a very bad image quality. I tested the speed at SB location and its normal.  I dont know what to do to have it back to its normal speed!  Any help will be appreciated!

Scottboyington

Im having this very similar issue from Brazil to Louisiana, US.

jmdu

could it be the sling portal? speeds are normal  past three days  in the european morning and european late nite. they slow down europe late afternoon and evening. i have two different slings in two different us cities and each of then falls to about a third of normal speed during these periods. isp here is not lcapping speed.  i am 6 hours ahead of ny time. are others having the problem at certain times, or is it constant?

rswitzerland

Same problem. Have a box in Philly area feeding into Switzerland and it's giving a really weak signal during the times you mentioned. Tried all the typical troubleshooting to no avail. During the day it's fine but at peak times it's a mess. Any suggestions?

djacobson86

Same here!  Glad it's just not me!  I'm in Switzerland with a Slingbox in Chicago.  Had absolutely no problems at all for the last 11 months using it almost daily and now have had this problem for about 2-3 weeks now.   SUPER slow connection speeds(150-350 kbps) during the weedkay evening hours  5 PM- 11:30 PM CET and nearly all day on Saturday and Sunday.  It seems to work alot better outside of those times.  This is far from what I usually get (1000-1,200 kbps).   Same thing happens on both my home ISP (Swisscom) and at Work using their ISP.

basiladair

This is a wide spread problem which should be resolved or clearly addressed by sling media ... but it is not.  I'm trying to stream a mere 15 miles away from my commercial account with 20 MBs down 5 MBs up and no other traffic, and it is a waste of time.  Any 'receiving' system, including my own with higher speeds than noted above, can not receive anything worth watching more than a few minutes,  Certainly not HD.  In the office it will stream adequately, but not once it does its' Elvis impersonation and 'leaves the building'. I have had several SBs thru the years and tried them on several systems, the latest HD version is a sad product.  And Sling media doesn't address this, the most basic concept, in their product.  :-(

vulcan33

Same here. This has gone on far too long.

It seems to have happened to me just after an automatic upgrade notice last week.

No video with a bright green line and then "Weak or no video signal detected" message.

Streaming at only 196 kbps.

If the upgrade was in fact the problem, Sling should take us back to the previous system version until the software is fixed.

Can you imagine the uproar if Blackberry service was down this long???

Tom

ejortiz

besides having the stream very slow, i'm also having issues connecting to the slingbox when I'm using a mac.  Ihave to try several times to connect to the SB.

I don't know what's going on with the streaming being so slow!  I have read that a lot of people is having that slow speed issue but no answer from Slingbox yet!

sst36

What I find particularly frustating regarding this issue was Sling Media's constant warning that the Slingbox classic I was using before was not supported when using with the Slingplayer mobile. So, I finally got around to upgrading to the HD Pro with the idea of also being able to Sling HD programming. Everything was fine from late July until the recent firmware update. I certainly can not say definitively that the update is the cause of the problems I'm experiencing, but given that I've made absolutely no changes whatsoever to my network (except upgarding to the fastest upload and download speeds my ISP offers) it is at the very least reasonable to consider the update as a possible cause.

The last post by a Sling Media rep stated the problem is "temporary". Given that the post is dated over 2 weeks ago, I wonder what their definition of temporary is? Will Sling Media extend the warranty of the affected product which, in its current form, is essentially unuseable?

sst36

At the top of the page I have noticed that there is a notice stating "This question is assumed answered." Does anyone have the answer to this problem? I see that Sling support has gone silent on the issue.

BrandonC Novice

We have helped quite a few people with the slow streaming issue. Depending on which Slingbox you have, the distance you are streaming and the latency of the connection will cause different problems for different people.

Most people don't have an issue with the low stream rate on the newer Pro HD and Solo because they are setup differently now than in the past.

If you have a Pro HD or a Solo I suggest before doing anything else do a hard reset on it and use the web browser to set up remote viewing. Then see if there is an issue. Before doing so make sure that any router configured TCP port forwarding to your slingbox is deleted. Even better is you have UPnP port forwarding turned on in your router config.

After doing this then see if there are issues. If so more details on your specific setup would be needed to help diagnose.

Scottboyington

nope, this is what slingbox does.

traversh

To add another data point, I have been experiencing the exact same issues others have stated regarding the periods of time in which the stream is very weak compared to other times.  I too am in Switzerland, w/ SB in Los Altos, CA.  Thing worked like a charm up until about a month ago.  Most affected times are evenings in Switzerland = Morning to mid-day Ca.  Very frustrating.

But, I am now experiencing a much worse situations.  As of yesterday, I can only connect to the SB and achieve a crawling 50 kbps.  I hear a hum.  That's it.  No video.  Nothing.  It's really bad news.  Reset my Comcast signal, which has worked in the past, and reset the SB (not a hard reset, just had someone simply push the button on the back.  Not sure this does anything), but it did not work.  Two tricks that have worked in the past.  I guess next step is to open up a ticket?  I mean, what other option do I have?

I was prompted to install a new version of webplayer for FF and Chrome prior to the issue occuring.  Not sure about an update to the slingplayer itself, but it does not work either.  Darn this is frustrating.

sst36

This issue is so maddening. The problem with the streaming rate is yet to be resolved. At times the problem sems to have resolved itself and streaming rates go back to normal (which for me is between 1200-1500 kbps) then for reasons I cannot figure out, it goes back to rates of between 50-70 kbps. Nothing has changed in regards to settings or the network - at least as far as I can ascertain. I am beginning to wonder if it is an issue with my box specifically. 

kenkoval

I am located in the Philippines and the Slingbox Solo is located in Florida.  Maximum upload speed is 2 mbps in FL and maxiumum download speed is 2 mbps in Philippines.  I have similar problems with slow streaming speed during certain hours.  In the middle of the night here (after midnight) until mid-morning my speed is about 700-800kbps with a decent picture but during other hours I only run 250-350kbps.with a blurry picture (poor picture).  I have checked internet speed numerous times during the slow streaming periods and they are near or at maximum.  Can anyone tell me what would cause this and how to improve it?