13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2011 7:08 PM by Britphile RSS

Use of USB on the back of HD-Pro

Arek

Is it for connecting mem stick or harddrive. If yes what format FAT32? Anyone?

• Re: Use of USB on the back of HD-Pro
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Arek,

It's for nothing.  It doesn't work with anything and supports no features.  You can't hook anything up to it.

It's there if Sling decides to do something with it in the future, but right now it's worthless.

- Az

robbr Newbie

The only uses we found for the USB in the back was to plug in items like fans to help keep a system cool or possibly a USB powered light.

hopper13

What a shame.  I'm trying to find a way to play content from my computer via my new sling pro hd.  While the usb port would not have been my first choice (streaming over the network would have been better), at least I was hoping for something.  Sling, are you listening?  Pleeeze

tiborg Newbie

Why not play directly from the computer?

hopper13

Trying to play from the computer to the TV.  Is there a way without buying more equipment?

tiborg Newbie

If your TV has an input that matches an output from your video card, that will do it. Otherwise, something relatively cheap like the $99 AppleTV would do it.

hopper13

The TV and computer are in different rooms.  I was hoping that the Slingbox might do it since it's hooked up to the network.  Failing that, I was hoping that the Slingbox could access its own usb port to read media. :-(

Otherwise, the SB HD Pro is a fine product.  I had nothing but a 61kbps Edge connection this weekend and was able to watch the ballgame on my iPhone without a hiccup!

CoolBrent

The best way that I found to do that was by using Windows Media Center on my Windows PC 7, along with my Xbox 360.  But of course the Xbox is costly but it is in HD and has basically the idential interface of Windows Media Center as that of your PC.

My other option would be to use my iPad 2 along with the new mirror output cable with an HDMI connection that will play anything you see on your iPad 2 directly to your HD TV.  So using the Slingbox iTunes App for $29.99 USD, you can play your Slingbox on your iPad and thus displaying on your HDTV that you have connected with an HDMI cable with an iPad 2 and the Slingbox app.

If the computer was near the TV, it is highly possible that all you would need is a cable, perhaps a DVI cable, and probably be able to simply attach the cable to the back of your computer and then in to your HDTV, providing it has a DVI input connection, or a VGA input connection.  Most all computers have a video card that supports dual output and therefore you could accomplish your task this way.

I have an Apple TV connected in to my network as well, but it will not play any of my Windows WTV video DVR files nor work in any way with the Slingbox without using an Apple computer.  Normally on the iPad, while you play nearly any video, you can stream videos normally through your network either from your iPad, iPod, iPhone, or even your PC using iTunes, all wirelessly, including the Apple TV has built-in wi-fi for a very simple connection.  But playing the Slingbox app on your iPad does not give you the option to stream your media to your Apple TV as most all other videos now do.  That is unfortunate.

I totally agree that they need to program the firmware to allow access of the USB port on the Slingbox.  Since it does provide some power, enough to charge your USB powered device or run a USB powered device (like perhaps my new blood-pressure system that uses an iPad app and iPad connection and is charged via USB).  But at least that means that there are some actual connections to the USB port and perhaps in the future, the programmers could potentially program the firmware (the software that operates the Slingbox) to allow the Slingbox to someday use the USB port in a productive manner of various possibilities.

Nevertheless, good luck my fellow Slingbox user.

endiZ

It would be great if Slingbox allowed you to connect a USB HD to the back of the slingbox to record TV shows like a PVR.

Britphile

Another slick use would be a USB web cam. as a security option or a skype type system