13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2011 9:49 AM by pips80 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Setup Slingbox Issues

cwanja

I moved apartments, and the slingbox was previously working - no issues.

When I am setting up the Slingbox, via watch.slingbox.com, I get to the option that the slingbox selects the manufacturer of my DVR box and the slingbox plays for about 10 - 15 seconds and then drops the connection. You can VIVIDLY see on the Slingbox that it drops the connection - the network light drops.

I do not have network issues - my UVerse never drops and I have a small server running off a Mac Mini with different applications. My AT&T router has already been configured to allow for the Slingbox ports to be opened to the Slingbox via its 2Wire gateway portal.

Does any one have an ideas? I have already tried to reboot my router / Slingbox - no luck. There is no network connectivity issues as this is the ONLY device that reports any sort of network issues.

I lead to believe that there is a firmware issues. Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

• Re: Setup Slingbox Issues
          zed1zillion

I am having the exact same issue. I've reset my slingbox solo, updated firmware and run setup from setup.slingbox.com. I get as far as selecting the version of my Directv box and the network connection drops. I can see the network light go off and then come back on - in the meantime the setup flow has errored out and is asking me if I want to try again. I don't beleive it is the specific step in the setup procedure as I've had it **** out earlier in the sequence, but from a general timing it typically is where I select my set top box.

I've had my box for 2 years and it worked fine until messing with updates! I chatted with tech support who simply told me to spend $30 on a support call and/or visit the website. I'm very disappointed with the level of support - it is very suspicious.

The solo is connected via ethernet directly to my Apple Airport wireless router - as it always has. My internet connection is solid. The power and network lights burn steady and bright.

I've read all the networking setup and troubleshooting docs - I've seen too much of this on the forum, somebody has to have figured out what is going on - or coughed up the cash for a support call for a problem Sling should have posted a KB article on.

zed1zillion

Did anyone notice the "Announcement" on the at the top of the Support page?

ANNOUNCEMENT: Having difficulty connecting to your Slingbox?

• We're aware that some customers may be having difficulty connecting to their Slingbox at this time. We're working to resolve this issue as quickly as we can. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience. We'll update this notice when we have more information.

by Dana at Nov 10, 2011 2:00 PM

At least there is communication about an issue. It's not very specific, but at least there's hope for a fix!

cwanja

That was originally posted when I made the original post. I believe that is just a scrolling banner and does not indicate the current status of Slingbox. This is still an issue.

jamesmccourt Novice

I am new to Slingbox. How long do these 'issues' normally last, keeping in mind it is now the weekend! I have just purchased a Slingbox and have not been able to connect once yet!!

cwanja

Were you actually able to get through the entire setup or does it disconnect while you are choosing the DVR type as mentioned above?

jamesmccourt Novice

My brother in the UK connected and could wirelessly access the slingbox through his home network. Also, his internet is working perfectly.

However, I am in the US and the system won't let me access the Slingbox. On the Slingplayer it says there's error 213 and  on the Slingplayer it says the Slingplayer ID is incorrect, which it isn't. I also sometimes get me message attached on the Slingplayer where it appears to find the Slingbox but can't log on to it.

The help desk in the UK remotely accessed both of our lap tops and confirmed everything was set up correctly.

This is a terrible system and I fear it will now be Monday before anything is done. I know there is a Status Update about problems on the Support home page.

cwanja

Seems your issue is not related to the contents of the thread (as you were able to successfully set it up). You might have better results creating your own thread to see if someone can directly help you.

Specifically for this thread it is talking about the Slingbox disconnecting before even successfully getting setup.

Best of luck.

amkdude

I am having the exact same problem.  I have a Slingbox SOLO, and my problem started sometime in August.  I live overseas and the slingbox is located at my brother's house in Minnesota.  He had done some network reconfiguration so I thought that that was the issue.  It wasn't until today as I am at his house and trying to reconfigure the Slingbox that I discovered this problem.  In the setup process, I get to the part where you have to select the manufacturer of the box to configure the remote, and the network light goes out - then the setup process fails and I have to start over.  Have you been able to find any other threads of others with the same problem?

cwanja

Naw, still not getting in. I refused to pay 30$ for the 'chance' that they can fix my Slingbox. The alert that a previous user posted is still up there with a lovely new update:

UPDATE (11/11/11 6pm PST): Still working on these intermittent Sling Account issues affecting some Slingbox users. Will advise.

So MAYBE it could be related - but I am not holding my breath for anything as that was up there when I originally start this thread. Starting to get real annoying in a company that does not back or recognize an actual issue with is product.

zed1zillion

I've retried my box - no joy.

When I connect via setup.slingbox.com it recognizes my box - as unconfigured. I had reset the box in an attempt to resolve my issues.

I start the setup procedure, the firmware is confirmed to be the latest version ( I upgraded it). It will play audio and video from my source for a brief period of time - then the Solo resets the network connection (network light starts to blink, from it's previous solid state). The setup procedure fails approximately when I'm asked to select my satellite box. I'm asked to retry - the process repeats without fail.

The box used to work fine. The fact the the setup app starts out seeing the source and the Solo box,  indicates that this is clearly not a networking issue or a failed powersupply issue. My guess is that there is some kind of bug in the setup/slingmedia app and the firmware, as the this is the ONLY time the nework connection resets.

cwanja

I completely agree - this has to be a firmware issue / site issue with Slingbox.

Just out of my own curiosity - are you trying to set this up on a Mac or PC? Also, which browser?

Apprentice

Hi, cwanja and all

It seems that you are having some issues with your Slingbox SOLO since it does not keep a steady connection and drops.

Most of the times, this issue is related to some settings to adjust on your Slingbox local network. With this in mind, I recommend you to check this link and follow the included steps.

Troubleshooting Slingbox SOLO streaming and network issues

Regards

pips80

Excuse me, have a good day, since yesterday november 24th 2011, my service has been erratic at best, when i connect my slingbox account the signal starts but then after a couple of seconds the screen goes white and the message slingbox plugin failed. Sorry to bother you, but do you know what can i do?

Have a good day and thank you for your time. Its a slingbox solo