1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 18, 2011 8:20 AM by ranaleon RSS

Advice on what to buy

onewiggie

New to Slingbox so please be gentle with me!

I'm after some advice on what Slingbox products I should purchase.

My current setup is -

4 TV's all connected to SKY boxes with the main TV also connected to a Vaio Media Centre. Good internet WiFi through the whole house.

I want to acheive -

Watching any media from the Vaio MC on the other TV's

Watching SKY or the media on the Vaio on a Laptop, Ipad and Iphone anywhere in the world.

Can anyone give me recommendations on a setup??

Many thanks

Amanda

• Re: Advice on what to buy
          Apprentice

Hi, onewiggie

I understand that you need some assistance in order to know what to buy.

First, the Slingbox SOLO and the Slingbox PRO-HD will allow you to send the TV signal out to the Internet. The main differences are that the Slingbox PRO-HD will stream the HD signal and the Slingbox SOLO will allow you to stream the HD channels but on Standard definition (SD). Besides, the Slingbox PRO-HD supports up to three supported devices and the Slingbox SOLO supports only one device at the time.

The following links will provide you with all the details about these devices.

Slingbox PRO-HD general information

Slingbox SOLO general information

If you want to send the TV signal out to a TV set, you will need to get the SlingCatcher, since this device allows to achieve this specific task. The Slingbox does not have this capability per sé. However, since the SlingCatcher is no longer available, you'll need to track it down through the Internet. The following link will provide you with all the information about the SlingCatcher.

SlingCatcher information

You must also know that the Slingbox will allow only one connection at the time. This means that you cannot send the TV signal out to multiple TV sets at the same time.

There are Mobile applications that will allow you to get the signal on your Mobile devices. The following links will provide you with all the information about the SlingPlayer for iPhone and SlingPlayer for iPad.

SlingPlayer for iPhone

SlingPlayer for iPad

Even though both devices are attached to your Sling Account and App Store account, you must purchase the application for each.

Finally, you must connect the Slingbox at home to your network and TV source (cable box, DVR or satellite receiver). Then, you'll need to run the Setup Assistant for Internet Viewing. This process will allow you to send the TV signal out to the Internet and you will be able to get the remote connection through the Mobile applications.

Slingbox PRO-HD Manual Setup

Slingbox SOLO Manual Setup

Regards