27 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 2:29 PM by Soultrane808 RSS

No Sound with Slingbox Pro-HD

rdav

I just installed a Slingbox Pro-HD.  It has worked fine for about a week.  Suddenly, there is no sound on any of my computers or my iphone.  I have tried powering off the slingbox and there is still no sound.  Nothing has been changed from when it was working.

Do I take it back to Best Buy?

Robert Davies

rdav@usa.com

• Re: No Sound with Slingbox Pro-HD
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi rdav,

Try resetting it:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000038.html

If that doesn't work, yeah- if it were me I'd take it back while I could.  I would be inclined to troubleshoot it, but if I had the option to just trade it for a working one, I'd jump on it.

- Az

rdav

Reset was one of the first things I did.

I guess I'll take it back to Best Buy Tomorrow.

Thanks.

Bummer.  Hope the new one works out better for you.

Happy trails,

- Az

rdav

Exchanged for a new unit.  Still no sound, which would suggest it was not the slingbox.  Is it possible my Apple Airport Extreme network is not transmitting audio?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Additionally, after reinstalling the replacement slingbox, the opportunity to select different inputs has dissappeared.  Moreover, I now have two slingboxes pictured when I log on, but only the first one works.  How do I delete the second one?

Hi rdav,

Is it possible my Apple Airport Extreme network is not transmitting audio?

No.  It's something else, no question about it.  If you're getting video you should be getting audio.  I'm sure you checked the cables, but that's the most common reason I've seen for losing audio.  Whatever the problem turns out to be, it won't be your router.

If you don't mind, what sources are you connecting to your Pro HD, and to which inputs ?

Additionally, after reinstalling the replacement slingbox, the opportunity to select different inputs has dissappeared.

Not sure about that one, I've not seen it before.  That's odd !  If you're using a Slingbox that has multiple inputs- like your Pro HD- it should be there.

I now have two slingboxes pictured when I log on, but only the first one works.  How do I delete the second one

Do that from the Slingbox Directory.  For the web player, go to accounts.slingbox.com and look on the left side for Slingbox Directory.  The add/delete options will become crystal clear.

If you're not using the full SlingPlayer application, download a copy and try it- you'll probably like it better than the web player.

Mac Player 1.0.10.272     Windows Player 2.0.4

Here's a support doc with info on how to manage the Slingbox Directory from those applications:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000116.html

- Az

kevinmkarch

I am having this exact same problem with my slingbox Pro-HD, and I cannot get the problem resolved. The problem actually started after the latest slingbox firmware update a couple of weeks back. Of course, good luck contacting slingmedia to get the problem resolved without paying them. There are at least two of us having this issue--is anyone else in the same boat? My cable company is Comcast, I have the Pro-HD connected via component cables, which are connected tightly and properly, and I get perfect streaming video--just no audio. I also did a reset, but I have the same problem from 3 different computers, whether on my home network or away from home. 

Hi Kevin,

kevinmkarch said:  The problem actually started after the latest slingbox firmware

Argh.   Rubbish firmware could do it in a hurry, along with unknown numbers of other annoyances.

If that's it- and the coincidence is mighty suspicious- I flat out don't know how to fix it.  Audio streaming is usually very dependable as long as you can connect normally.

I got nothing if it's firmware.  I hope someone else on here with a fix chimes in.

- Az

rdav
                                  "Is it possible my Apple Airport Extreme  network is not transmitting audio?

No.  It's something  else, no question about it.  If you're getting video you should be  getting audio.  I'm sure you checked the cables, but that's the most  common reason I've seen for losing audio.  Whatever the problem turns  out to be, it won't be your router.

If you don't mind, what sources are  you connecting to your Pro HD, and to which inputs ?"

The red and white audio outputs on the cable box output for S-Video are plugged to the corresponding inputs on the slingbox.  The component outputs and digital audio are plugged to the component and digital audio inputs on the slingbox.

Now I get audio transmitted when I select component video input but no audio when I select S-Video input.  Also, if the cable box is used to watch TV (i.e. if I turn on the TV which is connected to the cable box via HDMI),  the video goes out and the message is displayed saying the video signal is too weak.

I am mystified about what to do next...

Robert Davies

rdav@usa.com

Hi rdav,

...if the cable box is used to watch TV (i.e. if I turn on the TV which is connected to the cable box via HDMI)...

Bingo.

The non-HDMI ports on cable boxes can misbehave badly when HDMI is also being used.  It usually affects component video more than anything else, but it doesn't surprise me if other things are going wonky because of it.  The HDCP copy protection component of the HDMI spec is the stinker.

If you use HDMI anywhere in the physical setup, it tends to cause headaches with non-HDMI devices.  You notice it when signals start to shut down for no apparent reason.

There could be more going on here, but the major new clue here is that both Audio and Video work on the component input set if the HDMI-connected TV is off.

With the new information you provided, I think your Slingbox may be fine and you have a fussy cable box.

Two things to try:

- If you can, see what happens if you discontinue using HDMI anywhere.  I can totally understand why you might not want to leave it that way, but if everything starts working you'll know for sure what the problem is with the HD side of your Slingbox.  The In/Out ports on the back of your Pro HD are passthroughs, so you can run component cables from your Slingbox to the TV and it'll work fine.

- If you have a regular SD source handy (normal DVD player, anything other than your cable box with "red/white/yellow" A/V connectors or Red/White + S-Video), try hooking that up to the Slingbox and see how it goes.  Doesn't even matter if you set the software up- select the appropriate input in the SlingPlayer app and push play on the source.  If you get audio and video, the problem is definitely the cable box.

Good luck,

- Az

rdav

Right On!

When I unplugged the HDMI, things started to work properly, although it took a lot of cable swapping to get things going.  A minor complication was that the cable box was muted, which turned off the audio outputs but NOT the digital audio output!  If the cable box is muted, there was no indication so it is easy to inadvertantly turn off the audio.  I had tried muting and unmuting before, but the HDMI appears to have been what was supressing the audio.

Thanks very much for your help!

Robert

Slingwing

Hey gang.......I had an Ipod Touch (2nd Gen) with slingbox mobile and it worked fine through wifi. Now, I just bought an Iphone 4 from Verizon. I did all the updates with Slingbox (firmware for the HD-Pro box and software update for my Iphone App). Video looked great however no sound. I tried deleting the app from my iphone and reinstalling it. Still no audio. Checked all the settings on the Iphone. Nothing. The next thing I did was reset the box. Nothing changed. Still no audio. Finally, I started up Slingbox on my laptop to check to see if I had sound watching the sling from that source. Sure enough, no sound. Aha! It's not just my Iphone. I rechecked all the cables in the back of the tv, cable box and slingbox and found my audio wires that ran out of my cable box to my slingbox were a bit loose. I made sure they were all snug and tight and sure enough - I have sound now. My advice to all the others out there would be to try everything I did.  Good luck.......sorry to those who are still struggling with this thorny issue.......

LakersX

Hello,

I just set up my Slingbox, but I also got no sound.   I tried unplugging the HDMI ports etc and resetting the box but still no luck.

Anybody have any suggestions?   

tedpapa32

Try a hard reset of the cable box.  Unplug it for about 10 seconds.

phemes

I had same problem and I found that the audio jack was not pushed in fully, took a lot of force but then it clicked into place and sound started working.

MWolfe

fixed the problem by moving the HDMI Plug and moved it up on the TV into another slot.

MWolfe4120@aol.com

dsstao

No sound on mine either, to the Mac or the iPad... sound is working fine when heard from the receiver, which the slingbox is outputting to.

cainus

Same problem.  I have a new SlingBox Pro HD and Component and S-Video produce internet viewing video fine but no sound using S-Video.  Latest firmware and software installed.  Component has video/sound but swiching to S-Video has video/NO SOUND.  I have connected SlingBox to an AT&T U-

Verse gateway.  I need S-video to work because I have no Blue color on component.  S-Video has perfect video.

I have no HDMI connected to anything.  I tried several audio connections Red/White with no help.  It simply does not make sense that Component video works with sound and then switching to S-Video does not.  If I could get Component to produce blue color better then I would not care.  I have double checked cables, all match up and tight.  I can't find any setting where I can adjust RGB.  

Going to Slingbox setup, the volume is set to high on S-video and there is NO option for "fixed versus other" sound.  Only on Component is there a digital versus analog option for audio.  Sounds like a SlingBox manufacturer oversite.  During SlingBox setup, switching to Component produces sound, S-Video does not.

My computer has the volume turned on, no muting.  Like I said works perfect under Component, not S-video.

I looked at my U-Verse setup using my remote control (live far away from home so can't look at it in person) and there is no obvious audio settings that makes a difference.  I looked at every setting.

Very disappointing, I don't think there is anything anyone can do except for Mr. SlingBox to fix it's firmware.  Suggest Mr. Sling replicate this setup and test it to see and fix the problem.  I think it could be the digital signal coming from todays cable service gateways/boxes.  My old SlingBox pro worked fine in S-Video and sound with an analog VHF signal from the wall 3 yrs ago.

BayouTiger

I found that though the discreet audio passes through the slingbox along with the video. I could only get sound by connect the orange SPDIF audio input to the digital out on the receiver.

Soultrane808

Same here, I know little about this stuff; but when I plugged in the red, green, and blue connectors from the comcast cable box to the Pro-HD I got video and no sound. What finally got the audio working was connecting the red, white, and yellow connectors from the designated red, white, and yellow jacks on the cable box to the red, white, and orange (SPDIF) audio input jack on the Pro-HD. This combined approach is what finally got the sound working. Thanks for the SPDIF orange input jack tip.

sirwally

Just wanted to say THANKS to you guys, I had the same problem.

In my case it was set to Variable.  I set it to fixed THEN back to VAriable and it worked