5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2010 8:52 AM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

switched from Roadrunner to FIOS and now I can't view on network

JxKx70

I had a Time Warner/Roadrunner cable modem for years and Slingbox worked no problems from any computer I logged in on. Yesterday we switched to Verizon FIOS and my internal network in my home works, but I cannot get it to work with Remote Viewing from outside computers. I used to have the cable modem plugged into my Linksys wireless router, now I have Verizon's modem/wireless router connected to my Linksys wireless router with the "wireless" turned off.

Help please!

• Re: switched from Roadrunner to FIOS and now I can't view on network
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi JxKx70,

You likely have one or both of the following problems after the switch to FIOS:

1- Port Forwarding rules aren't set up properly on the Verizon modem/router.

This affects connections between outside and inside your home network.  Port forwarding tells your gateway- the Verizon box in this case- to accept certain incoming requests from the internet, allow them to pass through its security firewall, and proceed directly and specifically to the Slingbox.  Since remote viewing worked before moving to FIOS, you've fixed this before when you initially set up your Slingbox to work with your Linksys router.

2- The Linksys router is blocking things that are connected to it from other things in your house that aren't.

Both routers are designed to function as gateways complete with their own firewalls unless you specifically tell them to behave differently.  This means your Linksys router may be shielding all devices connected to it from the rest of your home network up to and including the Verizon router.  Think of it this way: You have a hardened vault inside a bank.  Both spaces are secure and restrict access, including from each other.

The fix could be a bit tedious, but it's not difficult.  Here's a support doc that talks about this in detail:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000154.html

Since slinging inside the house is working, it's hard to say exactly how (or if) problem #2 affects you- you might be able to get by with just fixing problem #1.  But multiple routers can be frustrating unless they're configured to play nice with each other.  It's a good idea to look over how everything is configured now, make the changes according to the support doc above so your network is set correctly and you're done with it.

Another option to resolve problem #2 would be to remove the Linksys router from the loop altogether and replace it with a switch or only use the Verizon router.  You'll end up with an unused router, but it's a super easy fix.  Switches look a lot like routers and do a similar job, but they're designed to work automatically inside an existing network and have no duplicate security to contend with.  You plug stuff in and everything can talk to each other, security and internet access is left up to the Verizon router.

Hope this helps,

- Az

JxKx70

This is the thing... from what I understood, the technician turned off wireless capability" of the modem/router because I am using the Linksys as my wireless router. I know at my work we had to put the modem in a "bridge mode" in order to work with our Linksys wireless router. Anyway, all my port forwarding info for the Linksys is correct and like I said, the Slingbox works fine on the internal network.

Now I am wondering if there needs to be more done to the Verizon modem/router settings. When I enter the 192.blah blah whatever it is IP in my browser to change settings, only the Linksys comes up. I don't even know if I can get in to the Verizon to view settings/port forwarding.

Basically I want to keep the Linksys, but maybe I can't?

Hi JxKx70,

You can totally keep and use the Linksys router, no problem there.  You just have to configure the two boxes to behave the way you want them to.

Oh, regarding the bridge at work...  I'm guessing you had DSL there.  DSL uses some ancient tricks to do its business.  Old school dialup modems needed to dial a phone number to connect to the remote computer.  Once connected you or the dialer software needed to enter a username and password before things started working.  DSL still does this, you just don't see (or hear) it. Old school dialup called this connection method PPP, DSL calls it PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).  DSL modems can handle the authentication, or they can simply bridge the connection and allow the router to do it.  For some reason things always get screwed up if the DSL modem handles the authentication if you're using a router to share the internet connection.  The solution is to set the DSL modem to bridge the connection, play dumb, and let the router handle everything.

Before you switched, the modem was a modem and the router was a router- no funny business.  The only thing that is different now is that the modem can do both jobs.  The problem with that is exactly what I mentioned in my previous post: port forwarding rules and firewalls.

Your last point had a few more details, that helps and I understand how things are set up better.  For one thing, I thought the install tech disabled the radios on your Linksys, not the Verizon.  The stuff I wrote and the support doc I linked are still valid, but let's try to fine tune the advice. 

BTW, there is a 192.blah.blah.blah address to configure the Verzion box.  It's just different from the Linksys address and you have to look it up.

The modem side of your Verizon box is working and set up correctly, 'nuff said.

The router side of the Verizon box is the booger.  Since you already have a perfectly good router that's already configured the way you want, the ideal thing (if it's an option) would be to completely disable the built-in router function along with it's associated security features.  In short, it needs to be only a modem, nothing more, just like what you had with Roadrunner.

The installation tech disabled the radios and wireless access point features of the Verizon box, but the router and it's firewall are probably still up.  If you can take those down and turn the thing into just a modem, and no changes were made to the Linksys config, everything should just start working.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to do that and I don't know your Verizon box well enough to say one way or the other.  It depends on what config options are available on the thing.  This has got to be an extremely common situation though, so one would think they would include a way to shut the router side off.

If you can not shut the built-in router off, you're not out of luck yet.  You have three options.  All of them work, and at least one will definitely be available:

Verizon radios off in all options...

- Verizon router up with a forwarding rule to pass traffic on port 5001 to your Slingbox.  Linksys operating as a router instead of a gateway, firewall down, Wireless access point (AP) up.  Essentially, it becomes a switch with radios and allows traffic to move through it without restriction.

- Verizon router up, NO forwarding rule, firewall set to designate your Linksys as DMZ.  Linksys set exactly as you had it before: gateway mode, firewall in place, forwarding 5001 to the Slingbox, all network devices in your home connect to the Linksys over wifi or ethernet.  "DMZ" takes one computer and places it outside the firewall so it's fully exposed to the internet and all ports are open.  In this case, the Linksys is that computer and you're still protected because it's doing its usual thing.

- Use the Linksys to make a separate subnet.  Verizon router up, forward 5001 to the Linksys.  Linksys in gateway mode and radios on, it also forwards 5001 but this time to the Slingbox, all network devices in your home connect to the Linksys over wifi or ethernet.  This is exactly the "bank and vault" analogy I gave in the last post except 5001 moves freely between the two firewalls, and the detailed step-by-step is in that support doc I linked.

Good luck !  Post back, say how it goes.

- Az

JxKx70

Well, just for future reference for everyone, I have a Verizon FIOS Actiontec M1424WR modem/wireless router and I was trying to make it work in conjunction with a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. All with MACs snow leopard OSX.

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, the "router off" is not possible with this modem. I looked at the other suggestions you had, but in the long run it was easier to replace my Linksys with the Actiontec and just put the Linksys in the closet for now. Actually the Actiontec settings screen that comes up with the 192.xxx.x.x (I can never remember the numbers) is much easier to navigate than the Linksys. I set the port forwarding for the Slingbox AV that I have and it worked first try.

Can I use the Linksys as a signal extender?

Thanks again.

Glad you got it working !  Too bad about the Linksys, but at least the problem is solved.

Can I use the Linksys as a signal extender?

Yep, I've got three WRT54G routers doing just that in my house, the Slingbox and an iMac are at the end of one.  It's very handy because the router will handle all the wireless stuff when configured as a bridge, and the devices plug into the back over ethernet- they have no idea they're using a wireless link.

However, you can't do it with the standard Linksys firmware.  You would have to replace it with an alternate firmware that expands the features of the WRT54G.  I use DD-WRT, but there are some other options available too (Tomato, OpenWRT).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd-wrt

If you pursue this there's plenty of documentation and plain-English guides available online, enough that you don't have to be a programmer or Linux expert to make it work.  Google is definitely your friend in this case.  It can be a chore to set up the first time though, so be prepared to set aside some time for the necessary reading if you go for it.

Happy trails,

- Az