9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2011 11:56 AM by chakkarinen RSS

Fluctuating Streaming Speeds

SOTBD

Within the past week or so my Slingbox Pro HD which has been working perfectly and consistently for about 4 months started having major speed fluctuations.  I believe this may have coinsided with an update in the firmware, but I'm not sure as I haven't kept close track of the firmware versions.  I currently have 2.1.330.

The max speed I normally get is 2300 kbps and it was normal to go between 2000 and 2300, but now it's been dropping to around 1000 and then climbing all the way back up to 2300 only to go back down even minute or so.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

• Re: Fluctuating Streaming Speeds
          ACC1070434 Newbie

Two or three weeks ago Slingmedia has pushed the firmware version 2.1.320 on the PRO HD.

Since having the new firmware on my PRO HD I am encountering the same problems like you. Streaming at home in the local network works great with 8000 kbps. Streaming via internet is just horrible now. I also have the fluctuating speeds between 1000 and 2000 kbps and bad picture quality since the latest firmware update.  Before that I had 2.1.90 on my PRO HD and streaming via internet was stable and worked with 4500 kbps (my upload speed at home is 5 Mbps)

I have talked to Sling Media's customer support on friday 28th Oct. to complain about that issue. I was told that 3500 customers have received the 2.1.330 firmware that day. Now Slingmedia is waiting for customer reactions due to possible bugs etc. There must have been something wrong with 2.1.320, otherwise they wouldn't have done this.

Anyway, it looks like 2.1.330 is as bad as 2.1.320 and the problem remains the same.

I just hope that more customers are going to complain about this issue. We have paid a few hundred Euros / Dollars for the device and the performance is getting worse with every new update.

danierusan

I have noticed the very same - had to set the box up from scratch on the 30th, update of firmware required. Ever since sound is A-OK but video lags behind (slowish frame rate) getting progressivley worse until BANG stored frames are displayed at double speed for a second and audio and video breifly get back in sync again.

Since there is such a distinct pattern to it and you have to think this a firmware issue.

SOTBD

So the question is: Is there any way to force the installation of an older firmware?

danierusan

Here here! The only variable is the firmware. It basically makes the feed unwatchable, and I rely on it for most of my viewing

Slingbox moderator people pls inform how to roll back!!

SOTBD

I'm really disappointed in Slingbox's support, they have done nothing so far and given no possible answers.

I purchased the extra support, but when I got to get the phone number it doesn't give me one since I'm out of the country.  Does anyone have Sling's tech help phone number?

danierusan

There is a way to downgrade, using the standalone/ install able slingplayer and a downloaded copy of the older firmware.

Utterly bizarrely my sling feed has returned to normal. You still have to think this is to do with something on the slingbox side.

I'm not sure how much they get involved with the feed, but it's as if they have put in some kind of complimentary setting on their side to have the firmware operate as they originally intended. The problem was so specific I am convinced it's not a simple network/latency issue (I work in tech support and have seen my share of connection issues).

sst36

You can most definitely add me to the list of those complaining about the fluctuation of the stream rate. My HD-Pro is in California with 6mps upload speed. I stream from here in Viet Nam via DSL. Before I was getting consistent streaming rates between 1000-1500 kbs which gave me a very satisfactory picture and sound. Now the rate is no more than 200-250kbs. I Checked the stream rate on my home network and it's the same, as well. I do hope they resolve this issue sooner rather than later. As it now stands it's virtually unwatchable.