11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2010 9:18 PM by selivonik RSS

SlingPlayer 2.0 at home over wifi

mogulman

I have a desktop PC with wifi.   I have always used it for Slingplayer.   I posted this on the other Slingcommunity forums and talked to support but never got help.   I'm posting this a year later to test out these new forums.

On this wifi desktop PC (dell workstation 450), I am running Windows XP SP3.   It worked great for the older version of Slingplayer for Windows (1.6?).  It works fine for watching shows using the new SlingPlayer 2.0.

I have never been able to get Slingplayer 2.0 to login using my username and password.  For some reason, Slingplayer doesn't recognize that this PC has an internet connection.

I can browse the web fine, use MS Outlook fine, email, and the connection looks fine in network settings.   The only thing I can think of is that it is a wifi only PC with no ethernet configured, but not a laptop?

Any ideas?

• Re: SlingPlayer 2.0 at home over wifi
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Mogulman,

So when you try to login to your Sling Account from inside Player 2.0, it is explicitly reporting that you have no connection ?  When you click Log In what happens ?

If Slingboxes on your LAN show up in the directory and you can watch them, the Player appears to at least be cooperating with your network adapter.

- Az

mogulman

It explicitly says that it requires an internet connection.  I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you the exact message.

I do know that other PCs (wired and wireless) on my network can login fine and also watch from the Slingbox.  It's just this one PC.

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the wireless network adapter drivers on this PC also.

It's not that big of a deal, but it is kind of annoying and something that has been going on since 2.0 came out.

Bash Newbie

I have seen this when my computer can't connect with the internet even though I am connected to the network.  In this case, however, I cannot connect to any websites, e-mails, etc.  I normally have to reboot my router.  Sounds like you can connect to those things even though SlingPlayer says you need an internet connection.  Check to see if you have any firewalls that are blocking it.

rjohnso3

I have been having a similar problem with player 2.0  The player was not connecting to the Slingbox.  The player acted as if the machine had no network connectivity.

I discovered that the Bonjour service (bundled with itunes) was returnring errors in the PC event log.  Player connected reliably after stopping and disabling the service.  A repair re-install of itunes may cure the problem.  I'll try that later.

Ron Johnson

selivonik Newbie

My sling player just started doing this recently. Only about 1 out of 10 times that I open it will it login. When it doesn't, I have to enter my password to watch TV and it takes longer to connect to the slingbox. Is there really no solution for this?