5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2011 12:59 PM by wesg RSS

Watching from 3 different locations with one slingbox

timlab1955

My question is this.  I have a slingbox solo, laptop computer, two andriod phones.  My husband is getting ready to have back surgery and is going to be in bed for at least 3 months.  Normal if we are watching a program in the living room, and one of us has to go into another room we usually turn on our mobile phone and watch it on the phone in the other room.  But we noticed that when the one in the living room has to use the little boys room, it blocks the one on the mobile phone.  Now, from what I understand if something is on a network, the source should be able to be sling to any device to view the source.  How comes it doesn't work with sling box?

• Re: Watching from 3 different locations with one slingbox
          wesg

If you only have one Slingbox you can only watch from one Computer, phone or other device at a time.  You must log off one device to watch on another. Only way around is to have more than one Slingbox.

timlab1955

Thank you very much for your reply. In my personal option it doesn't make sense, and therefore defects the purpose of it.  Any number of items connected to a network (wifi/hard wired) should be able to pick up the signal.  Just one device for one slingbox is actually worthless and it's not mentioned on any of the material.  I also found out that anything connected to the slingbox goes to slingbox.com and then back to your network, is this true?  If this is true, why is this?  Just looking for answers.

Thanks.

wesg

I have found that using  watch on Slingbox.com provides better picture quality than slingplayer . You are only granted 1 license and therfore veiwing for 1 device at a time. (must log off one device to watch on another)  Remember they make money from sales and do not charge a monthy fee so if they allowed more than one device to view at same time you and infinite # of people could download slingplayer and watch if they had your login, unlike Netflix that charges a monthly fee and lets you view on as many devices and as many movies  as you want at the same time.  Also if you watch the same program on reg TV at the same time as on Sling you will notice a big delay between them this I assume is because sling signal has to go through there world and then back to your device.

timlab1955

Hey we are all out to make money and I don't mind someone making a profit, but if I purchase a car (paying big bucks for it), I should be able to drive it anywhere were I want to.  I need to ask slingbox.com how there sling solo works.  It shouldn't matter if I have 1 device or hundreds of devices watching my sling solo it's mine and it's MINE home network.  Now if someone from the outside of my network wants to watch it, then yea I could see a sale there.  But if it's on MY NETWORK it shouldn't matter how many people are watching, I paid and purchased it.  Hey Weg do you know how this sling works?  Thanks for the help and understanding so far.

wesg

Would be nice to watch on multiple devices at same time; but I have had either a Sling classic or Sling solo for over 7 years now and it has always just been 1 device at a time.. It is a good product for what it does (be anywhere in the world with good wifi and be able to control & watch your home TV, Camera, DVD etc.) and was far ahead of it's time 7 plus years ago when streaming was in it's infancy.  Unlike your situation most of the I only need to watch 1 device at a time  I recenlty switched  to Solo to improve video quality, especially on my android phone.  Hope you can make it work for you.