25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2012 12:24 AM by rgmcse Branched to a new discussion. RSS

No sound - video works fine

gtbrusil

About six weeks ago, the sound just stopped on my slingbox.  Changing channels it would start for a second or two then go out.  I was using the 1.5 software so I decided to go ahead and install the 2.0 to see if anything improved.  Luckily it did...until three days ago.  The sound started going out in the same fashion.  Now, nothing at all - not even video.  I've already reset the unit and every other trick I can think of.  Now that the Sling Community Forums are down, this is my last chance before making it into a paper weight.  Anybody have any ideas?

• Re: No sound - video works fine
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi gtbrusil,

Is the behavior consistent between the input types (Tuner and A/V Inputs) ?  You already checked for bad, loose or jiggly wires and jacks, right ?

- Az

straythings

I am experiencing the same issue.  I finally accepted the firmware and software updates and when all was done I no longer have audio, except for a short 1-3 seconds on first connect after a reboot of the device.  I have not tested other audio input sources, this only from coax in.  I can see about trying another audio input source, but this device has only ever been used for coax cable tv streaming to my PC.

gminer

This is the exact same issue I am having. It started 5 days ago. I did not do any firmware upgrades however. I'm afraid this is going to turn out to be a hardware issue. Anybody want to give this problem another try?

teeple Newbie

Any resolution on your end?

My Slingbox Classic just started doing this last night.

I cannot play an audio at all - video is great - clean.  Audio works for about 1 to 2 seconds and cuts out.

If I choose AUDIO ONLY from the AUDIO menu, I can hear everything.

I am using S-Video for video and RCA for audio - it was working for the past 2 1/2 years without question/problem.

Now this... just wasted last 2 hours troubleshooting and resetting the device to factory.

:-(

Bill

ACC23209

Turned out that my power adapter was dying.  It finally crapped all the way out and I pondered buying an entirely new Slingbox for about 10 minutes...decided to try replacing the power adapter first.   After I received the new adapter everything went back to working perfectly again.  FYI I picked up the new adapter from a robotics company in Downers Grove IL...it was about $10.  Shipping was almost as much as the part.

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.

rgmcse

I hadn't used my Slingbox Classic in forever. I have a new found reason to use it everyday and I ended running into all the troubleshooting issues mentioned in this thread. My power supply was actually burned and one of the prongs was very loose (yikes!). Either way to the guy who mentioned using an old linksys router power supply Cheers to you! Also everyone else that assisted in this thread. I was this close to going to Best Buy tomorrow and buying a new PRO-HD. I still may end up doing that down the line. But why spend the money now... Thanks!!!!

gannon

Happened to me to after the last firmware update. I've been plagued by it ever since. I called tech support but since it was a classic model they wouldn't help me unless I bought the support package. If they are going to charge for support then they shouldn't be updating the firmware that works. Very unhappy!

gminer

My problem turned out to be the same as ACC23209, it was the power supply. Unfortunately I bought a used Slingbox tuner (SB220-100) from Amazon Marketplace before I realized the problem. Within 2 months the same thing happened with the SB220. On a hunch and a prayer I bought a new power supply from Sling (19.99 with free shipping) and the SB220 worked fine again. I then plugged the new power supply into the old SB100 Classic and it also worked fine. Two bad power supplies? I have never had a power supply go bad on any other electronic device I have ever owned, and I have owned plenty. I suspect this is a common problem that Sling is aware of. But of course they aren't going to advertise it...

teeple Newbie

That was IT!!!

A bad AC Adapter - it was extremely hot.

I tend to be a technical pack rat, so the good news I found a comprable power supply in the garage to help power my Slingbox Classic.

Saved me $190.00 - I was going to head to Best Buy today and get the new Slingbox SOLO.

If I don't have to blow the money, I don't want to!

Thanks for the tips - I would never have tried what you suggested!

Bill

otterdude

You Guys are a life saver... Just got my SlingBox Pro off eBay and no sound... found an adapter to an old Linksys router.... problem solved.... Thanks!!!!

scottsap

I had the same problem and I called Tech Support and they tried to sell me the support package or a new unit. All I wanted was to get the classic that I have working and they would not tell me that they have had many issues with the power adapters. I started searching and found this post. Thanks!

PasadenaMike

@Teeple   I'm having exactly the same problem.  The Audio Only option streams just fine, and when Audio & Video are both selected, I get 1-3 seconds of Audio then video only.  I felt my power adapter and it's not even warm to the touch.  Could there be another reason for this?

teeple Newbie

I am pretty sure that the power adapter is the culprit - it should be hot to the touch - if it isn't, I am guessing that it isn't converting the right energy.

I did not purchase an authorized adapter from slingbox... and it would work for like 1-2 hours... and then die again.

I ended up purchasing a new slingbox!  *sigh*

I need my slingbox!

spend the 20 dollars on a new adapter before spending 150 bucks on a new slingbox (in my opinion) - I just didn't want to wait.

B

gminer

I had 2 power supplies go bad and the first one was stone cold. Buy the power supply, I'm pretty sure this will solve the problem. Too bad Sling won't admit they have a problem with these. As soon as someone comes up with an alternative for the SlingBox with a tuner I'll no longer be a Sling customer.

Alexander11

I had a similar problem. The cable box is most likely the problem. I was able to correct the problem on my Motorola 6200 HD Box by using my remote. Go to setup on the menu. Then to audio. Once at this screen there will be a box that allows mono sound, stereo sound and matrix. Select matrix which will send the audio stream to your audio out plugs. Good luck ARW 

cdlblaze

Same issue here.  Just went into the Menu mode of my Cable Box and switch Audio from Variable to Fixed and Problem Solved.  I saw this answer on another website as well.  I live out of the country so this was the easiest thing I could do immediately.  

johola

I had the same problem with my Slingbox Classic. Video worked fine, but the audio would cut out right after opening the slingplayer. After having no luck with attempting to get customer support regarding the issue, including mentioning the fact that others have had the same problem and that the power supply was most likely to blame, I just paid the $20 and bought a new adapter. Well it fixed the problem.

I wish Sling Media would acknowledge the problem. It was a very difficult process trying to get help from support. Luckily this forum provided the answers in the end and I hope my situation will help others.

I encourage people who experienced power adapter problems with their product to send a note to Sling Media expressing your concern:

Customer Service Department
                                          Sling Media, inc.
                                          PO box 8177
                                          Foster City, CA 94404

hillarydz

I just set up my slingbox and my audio wont work. My video streams fine but my audio will make a clicking noise for a couple seconds then just cut out completely. Any ideas?

bwinsberg

It really was that simple. I had hooked up uthe wrong adapter. I had hooked up a dlink by mistake. Found the right one and sound worked right away.

jeff777

I had a Motorola cable box and the Matrix fix did the trick.  Thanks for the help!