91 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2011 12:55 AM by Murph74 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox Blinking Network Light

viffer

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

I'm a slingbox customer and owner with a legitimate problem trying to get some help on this forum.

After updating to the latest firmware my Slingbox Pro bricked.  Flashing network light.  Yes, I've held the reset button for 5 seconds, 30 seconds, unplugged the thing, tested my power supply with a multimeter, fiddled with my network settings, replaced my network cable and plugged it into an alternate router.  Nothing works.

I spoke with customer service at Sling and they basically told me to pay $30 for technical support with no guarantees they could fix my problem. I declined.

• Re: Slingbox Blinking Network Light
          stairman

I have a slingbox pro that was working, & now it is flashing (flashes 5 times). I  did all the same rests and checked all connection too.  In my search for support, I  found out that I should not email support unless I pay for a  support incident. I dont know where else to turn either. Thats how I found this forum. So sorry to tread on your post, I am looking for the same help as you. I would gladly pay $30 if it brought back my slingbox, but I dont want to throw money out the window if its shot.

viffer

Hey Stairman, I hear you and share your frustration. If you're getting 5 blinks at a time then someone mentioned that using an old style 10BaseT router might solve the problem.  Keep in mind these haven't been around for almost 10 years but you might find one on EBay or have one hiding in a closet somewhere.  You may also be able to force your 10/100 router to run strictly at the lower speed.  Haven't tested the solution myself because I have a steady constant flashing network light which supposedly isn't the same problem but you might want to try it out.

Expert

Hello stairman & viffer - thanks again for using the Slingbox Answers Forum!

With regard to the Pay Per Incident fee (in an instance where you discover you have a hardware issue after troubleshooting) - take note that it would be refunded to you if you chose to have your out-of-warranty box repaired. Take a look at this document on our support site, it explains how our paid support options work:

Sling Media Paid Support Offerings

Hope this helps clear any confusion about that fee!

Kind Regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

mycheyn

when did your unit stop working?

robbr Newbie

I would check it's not your power supply, I had an issue with my Pro and it was just the power supply.  I went to Sling and ordered a new power supply, no issue since. I know the $30 is very frustrating, but if possible try another power supply and see if that works. 

Also, if you call support and talk NICELY to them and explain your Sling bricked after the recent update they may be able to help you further, there is a known issue with Slingbox Pro (not ProHD) that after a recent firmware update they have been bricking.

StefanN

I have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution?

robbr Newbie

replace your power supply, they seen to resolve most the issues like this.  I have replaced 2 power supplies on my Slingboxes, both times.......everything worked again!  Just remember the power supply for a ProHD, Solo, and Catcher are not the same as a Slingbox Pro.

steven444

thanks for the support  buddies its really very helpfull.

mark_grantham48

How interesting.  Just got back from a 4th July trip and, after successfully remotely logging on once via my in-laws Macbook, I couldn't log-on any other time.  Anyway, I'm a seasoned slinger (so to speak) so I thought I'd sort it out once I got back.  Nope!  Tried everything I knew, including router settings, cables and factory resets and the network light still blinks.  How strange.  I also have a Slingbox Pro in the UK which is working fine.  My suspicions are raised because even though I'm back, it still registers the "Home" Slingbox as an internet Slingbox rather than a local Slingbox.

Everyone still think this is a power supply issue?

Well done for bringing it up by the way.

Update:  Tried another adapter and it now works perfectly.  Thanks to eferz for his response.

eferz Expert

mark_grantham48 wrote:

My suspicions are raised because even though I'm back, it still registers the "Home" Slingbox as an internet Slingbox rather than a local Slingbox.

That's because when Slingplayer starts it broadcasts for a response from the Slingboxes on the local network.  If it doesn't receive a response then it will list the Slingbox entry in the Slingbox Directory as being "internet" instead of local.

mark_grantham48 wrote:

Everyone still think this is a power supply issue?

Its possible.  As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

However, if the Slingbox network light isn't lit then it doesn't have a functional IP address.  If its blinking then that's an indication its asking for a DHCP address.  You might want to try a different port on the router, to see if the problem follows with the port.

Other than those two suggestions, its possible that the Slingbox just needs to be replaced.

rvwindy

Mine is diong the same since the first week of May or so...Changed routers.. cables... networks..service providers... no change.. will try the power supply.  Also if the firmware is to blame how do I go back to the old version if I can't get on the network? Thanks

P.S. Where did you find a power supply to buy on the Sling site? Did you buy a generic one from RS or someone else?

eferz Expert

rvwindy wrote:

Also if the firmware is to blame how do I go back to the old version if I can't get on the network? Thanks

You can't.  The Slingbox needs an IP address in order to participate on the network.  It needs to participate on the network in order for it to be configured.

rvwindy wrote:

P.S. Where did you find a power supply to buy on the Sing site?

Sling Web Store (http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts)

rvwindy wrote:

Did you buy a generic one from RS or someone else?

If you intend on getting a generic remote, then make sure that it matches the power requirements listed on the bottom of your Slingbox.  You will find a label on the bottom of your Slingbox with the power requirements; volts, amps, and polarity.  Underpowering the Slingbox will only exacerbate your symptoms and over powering can burn out your Slingbox.

rvwindy

As you know I'm having the same problem and it started after the  software update to the box on May 3-5th of 2010. I'm wondering if it is  not just the power supply problem but since the fed's have now started  messing with the bandwidth and hulu and others are going to a pay system  that the cable companies in conjunction with the courts have zapped  sling with a fee or situation they can't afford to correct. Mine is a  slingbox pro installed and used infrequently since 2007 so it is not  because it has been on for three years...I used it for two months in  2007, three months in 2009 and then again this year from Feb to May...  Yes power supplies go bad but not this many all @ once. I do believe  their may be a class action suite that will be filed but as 321 studios  found out you can't fight the feds!

mark_grantham48

It's a Slingbox Pro.  I just double-checked and it's right.  Before ordering I tried a 5V version from a 4 port ethernet switch.  That worked also but I wasn't sure about the long term effects of that so I went for what it said on the original adapter.

eferz Expert

Okay, good.  That was an excellent idea. I just wanted to check to make sure.

As far as I can tell from Sling's Replacemennt Store (http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts), they have three different types of AC Adapters.  I have the Slingbox Pro-HD and my AC adapater requirements are lower (5V DV, 4A) apparently my AC adapter will also work with the SlingCatcher and the Solo.  Where as yours, only works with the Pro.  Just getting my notes stored, since they have six different models of the Slingbox with three different AC adapters. Oi vey.

KT123

I'm getting the same thing. Flashing lights, unable to connect but was working pertfectly 3 days ago. Reset doesn't work.

Why is this happening to us all now? Surely all our power adapters can't be malfunctioning at the same time? And is that the solution... & if so, why? The old adapter has worked perfectly well for over 3 yrs.

KT123

Support have just said:-

16:04 Carlos: Thank you. We can help you checking that though there is some important information that I have to give you first:

Every single Sling Media product comes with 90 days of free complimentary support and 1 year of hardware warranty. I found that your Sling Media product is older than 1 year.

You can use our free on line self-help at www.slingbox.com. You can type your issue in the search bar to get links related to it. You can also use the Slingbox forum at https://community.sling.com/index.jspa

To be able to receive technical support from Sling Media via email, voice and chat, I will need you to get the Per Incident Support Agreement.This Agreement permits multiple contacts if related to the original issue including email, chat and voice based support interactions and its price is $29.99

16:04  : from the forums this seems to have happened to many users in the past month suddenly?
                                          16:05  : so i assume that this is an issue that you are aware of
                                          16:05  : i have tried everything from the faq already
                                          16:05 Carlos: I apologize for the inconvenience but there is a fee to troubleshoot that issue. I have no authorization to give out free support to an out of warranty unit.

16:06  : why cant you tell me if the product is now useless if you know what the issue is?
                                          16:06  : why isnt the solution on the forums or your support page?
                                          16:07 Carlos: Because I have not checked it with you yet. A forum is where customers talk about their issues with other customers. Maybe there is no solution there yet because other customers have not found the work around on that or something.

16:07  : why do i need to pay you to fix a problem that seems to have been suddenly affecting many slingbox users?
                                          16:08 Carlos: That is explained on my first statement.
                                          16:08  : so my slingbox worked fine until friday & you know how to fix it?
                                          16:08  : even though i have done nothing different at my end
                                          16:08 Carlos: I do not know if it can be fixed because I have not checked it with you.
                                          16:08 Carlos: You can find more information about our support offerings at:

http://www.slingbox.com/get/warranty.html
                                                                     and

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000042.html
                                          16:09 Carlos: I am sorry but I cannot stay more with you. Review the support options I gave you and male a choice.
                                          16:09 Carlos: Thank you for contacting Sling Media chat support. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Basically, cough up $29 even though this seems to be a sudden common problem, but we won't tell you if we actually know how to fix it.

eferz Expert

KT123 wrote:

Why is this happening to us all now? Surely all our power adapters can't be malfunctioning at the same time? And is that the solution... & if so, why? The old adapter has worked perfectly well for over 3 yrs.

There's no kabal or conspiracy, if that's what your assuming.  A handful few people on a message board having similar if  not the exact same symptoms is not an epidemic.  So, I wouldn't try to soul search for the coincidental mysteries of when electronics die.

We'd love to believe that electronics should last forever.  Unfortuantely, physics on the other hand doesn't agree.  People who work with electronics understand that this is just a matter of fact.

As far as I know, until someone figures out how to replace a capacitor with a digital circuit, an electronic device is eventually going to die.  If you want to understand more about it then please read the following article (http://www.smpstech.com/mtblog/electrolytic_capacitor_failure.html).

KT123 wrote:

Basically, cough up $29 even though this seems to be a sudden common problem, but we won't tell you if we actually know how to fix it.

You have to understand your Slingbox is exhibiting certain symptoms.  Those symptoms are also related to a couple other problems.  The most common of these issues is that the AC adapter has failed and requires a replacement.  AC adapters are much cheaper to replace than having to replace the Slingbox unit itself.  Which is another possibility from the symptoms you've described.

KT123

Thanks for your quick response.

You can see by the number of views on these issues raised (on several the numbers are over a thousand) and a simple google search that there  clearly is interest for support on this problem.  What I was looking for  was an online solution/ reason for what seems to be a common fault & not resolved within Sling's own tech support solutions.

I think if the "online support" had been a little more reassuring that a resolution would be forthcoming & worth investing further monies into a piece of equipment which you consider old, I wouldn't feel so let down. 30 dollars in the hope someone can tell me what's wrong with their equipment is a lot of money.  Even if its to tell me that my Slingbox is dead!  It's "old", get over  it. Sky, as will other companies, will help me for free.

That amount of money... and then the possibility of having to buy another piece of equipment to may be fix it... I think the original box only cost me around £100.  And now the iphone app I also bought is worthless unless the box can connect to the internet.

My power light works... the other two flash... why would potentially a new power adapter help the box suddenly reconnect back to the internet? The box has power?

I don't expect any piece of equipment to last forever.  But I have tv's, washing machines, tumble driers, laptops, sky boxes, a gamecube console, ipods, walkmans, food processors, camera's... all significantly older than the slingbox & which certainly take more of a hammering and yet still work.  Sky recently replaced my ten year old original box free of charge on the basis of good customer service & knowing that I will remain loyal to their brand.  I am not expecting, pfft as if, Sling to do this.  I would however like their technical expertise as to whether I now own a useless piece of plastic on the basis that they will have had this problem before.  I know I am not the only customer who this has suddenly happened to in the past few weeks/ months.  They have come across this issue before. That is information I do not expect to have to pay for.  It is their product, they will know from customer feedback & their own testing, etc why, when & how it could stop working. And yes, if it's dead, it's dead.  Although if you're saying that a few years is the expected lifespan of my Slingbox, it's hardly convincing me to buy/ upgrade/ invest in further to this or a new box.

eferz Expert

KT123 wrote:

Thanks for your quick response.

You can see by the number of views on these issues raised (on several the numbers are over a thousand) and a simple google search that there  clearly is interest for support on this problem.  What I was looking for  was an online solution/ reason for what seems to be a common fault & not resolved within Sling's own tech support solutions.

I think if the "online support" had been a little more reassuring that a resolution would be forthcoming & worth investing further monies into a piece of equipment which you consider old, I wouldn't feel so let down. 30 dollars in the hope someone can tell me what's wrong with their equipment is a lot of money.  Even if its to tell me that my Slingbox is dead!  It's "old", get over  it. Sky, as will other companies, will help me for free.

You should understand that I'm not affilated with Sling Media.  I'm like you a customer.  I just tag along here to give people a little helping hand.

Sky recently replaced my ten year old original box free of charge on the basis of good customer service & knowing that I will remain loyal to their brand.

I wonder if paying a monthly subscription fee has anything to do with that.  I don't know many people who would continue to pay for a service that they are unable to enjoy.  Nah, that can't be it.  Obviously, they have better customer service.  Its not like they couldn't have subsidised the replacement from the exhorbinate subscription fees.

KT123 wrote:

I am not expecting, pfft as if, Sling to do this.  I would however like their technical expertise as to whether I now own a useless piece of plastic on the basis that they will have had this problem before.  I know I am not the only customer who this has suddenly happened to in the past few weeks/ months.  They have come across this issue before. That is information I do not expect to have to pay for.  It is their product, they will know from customer feedback & their own testing, etc why, when & how it could stop working. And yes, if it's dead, it's dead.  Although if you're saying that a few years is the expected lifespan of my Slingbox, it's hardly convincing me to buy/ upgrade/ invest in further to this or a new box.

Well, I gave you a link that describes the reasoning why in three years the power supplies can die.  It doesn't appear that you've read it or are willing to accept it as a viable answer.  (and that's your perogative.)  I can only recommend that you show Sling Media your disdain financially by no longer purchasing their products if you are unsatisfied with your purchase.

jdblue

I have the same issue.  Had the box setup and running, (using it infrequently).  Next time I go to use it, it doesn't work. The sudden-ness of the failure makes it sound like a HW failure, for sure.  Specially, since I hadn't changed anything on my network.  I've since changed from a unmanaged network switch to a router so I could see what was going on.  However, that didn't help.  I still don't know why.  (BTW: Sorry to my friend in Korea who wanted to watch the World Cup in English.)

I think what KT123 and others might be saying is it would be nice if SlingMedia would at least give us a heads up that it is possible for a network issue to be be caused by a faulty power supplier.  The don't have to diagnose our particular problem, but I'm a EE and a blinking network light with a solid power light doesn't lead you to a power supply failure.  Logic dictates that you should have a blinking power light with no or blinking network light.  Besides, why would a failed capacitor cause it to not obtain an IP?  In any case, a mention of this in the FAQ or an official response in a forum would be nice versus asking users for 30 bucks.

In my opinion, SlingMedia gives out as little technical info on their box as possible in order to generate more revenue from tech support.  I've been researching this issue and their tech help has tons to say about routers,IP addresses, ports config, etc. (See example below)  But, has nothing to say about how their box actually works.  Good info on networks, but doesn't tell me how to find out why there box is not happy.

(Why wouldn't the box have a web page for configuring, like a router?)

http://www.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005033.html

If you can post an example on how their box works with equivalent technical detail, I'd love to see it.  All the useful info I get about my Slingbox is from other users.

eferz Expert

jdblue wrote:

I think what KT123 and others might be saying is it would be nice if SlingMedia would at least give us a heads up that it is possible for a network issue to be be caused by a faulty power supplier.  The don't have to diagnose our particular problem, but I'm a EE and a blinking network light with a solid power light doesn't lead you to a power supply failure.  Logic dictates that you should have a blinking power light with no or blinking network light.  Besides, why would a failed capacitor cause it to not obtain an IP?  In any case, a mention of this in the FAQ or an official response in a forum would be nice versus asking users for 30 bucks.

I agree with you.  Unfortuantely, theoretical logic doesn't supercede actual functionality.  I'm guessing that Sling's design engineers never thought about implementing a warning mechanic if it is not receiving the proper electricity.  That's probably why the power LED stay lit despite any other symptomatic indications.  After all it doesn't require much to power an LED.  Of course, hindsight is 20/20, right?

All I'm saying if you have exhausted all the network troubleshooting proceedures, an additional troubleshooting test is a different AC adapter.  Just from my personal experience of fielding questions on this forum, it usually seems to alleviate the problem. If it doesn't then we have taken a step through a process of elimination to determine that the AC adapter itself is faulty.

jdblue

eferz,

I plan on trying another power supply, no doubt.  It is the logical and cheapest next step and I don't really have any other options.

However, this tact at solving problems is call the "shotgun" approach in the repair industry.  This is not diagnosing but just trying different things.  I think SlingMedia owes there customers a little more technical info on their box so we can do some basic level of troubleshooting.  In the end, we may send it back to them for repair.  But we would feel a little more comfortable with the prospect of getting it repaired.

A contrasting example is I just tore into my dish washer at my house because it stopped draining water.  Without a schematic or drawing I was able to take off the front panel get inside and determine what the likely problem was.  I've never worked on a dishwasher so I don't feel comfortable making the repair myself.  But, now I can make the value judgement of whether to call a serviceman or buy a new one all together.

I have that option with most the consumer type items in my home (Microwave, Stove, Jet Ski, Automobile, etc.).  I'd like SlingMedia to provide a "window" into their box so I can make the same value judgement.

eferz Expert

Again, I agree with you; however, it is apparent Sling Media's standard operating proceedures do not.

So, when you do not have the tools for proper diagnostics then utilizing a process of elimination is your recourse for determining which piece is affected.

KT123

JD.  Thank you for summing up my comments so succinctly!  That was absolutely my frustration.

Having just seen another poster say that replacing the power adapter didn't work for them, I'm still at a loss what to do.  The $30 is only for online tech support; it doesn't actually guarantee to fix the problem nor would he tell me that he could. I'm almost certain now that unless I'm missing something, he'll get me to do what I've already done, then say it needs physical investigation/ repair.

The out of warranty repair, not sure if it includes shipping, etc, is listed as £99.  A new box is £109... hence my dilemma & request for guidance.

Do I now have a plastic flashing ornament adorning my Sky box or is there some cunning fix, i.e. tap it three times & say the magic word that will bring it back to my network. That's all I wanted to know before deciding whether to throw more money at it or throw it out.  I don't think that's unreasonable having found similar secret fixes for my Sky boxes via free Sky helplines/ forums/ support FAQ where you hit certain buttons in a particular way to bring it back to life. I've even fixed my Nintendo using their online support for free & that was out of warranty. Ditto for Apple & my iPhone.

I only started messing with it as the remote control function stopped working so following the advice from the FAQ, I switched it off & on, then that was it. No more network link. N blinks 5 times & the network blinks & the next step of resetting did not work.  Rebooting the router as suggested didn't kick it back on either.

Such a shame as the concept of being able to watch & control your Sky box from abroad has been fab. Giving it a few more days before giving up in the hope that maybe a full moon will kick it back into action???

stairman

I purchased a new power supply and it did not make a difference. Now I dont know what to do? Do they look at it for $30? Where is the link on sending it out? I would hope having it repaired would be much cheaper than buying new. 

jdblue

More info on the power adapter.

For my PRO-HD I have a Sunny Switching Adapter, M/N: SYS1298-1506-W2.  Which is 6V @ 2.5A output.

Here's a tech sheet on it.

http://www.robertswarr.com/p/sunny-power-supplies/wallmount/sys1298usa

Note the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) = 35,000hours.  That comes to about 4yrs.  (Seems a little short to me)

My box has been powered up for about 3yrs give or take.  Not sure if it was properly ventelated at each local.  (It move around a couple of times when I lived in Korea.)

Heat is the number one cause of failure for power supplies.  So make sure it's not covered by anything.

eferz Expert

jdblue wrote:

More info on the power adapter.

For my PRO-HD I have a Sunny Switching Adapter, M/N: SYS1298-1506-W2.  Which is 6V @ 2.5A output.

Whoa.  Are you sure that you have the Slingbox Pro-HD?  I have one too and the my power requirements are 5V @ 4A and the corresponding wall wart is made by Ktec.  At 15W, I think you've might have been under powering the box by 5W.  Here's a visual comparison, just in case.  There's also a label on the bottom of every Slingbox which indicates the power requirements; volts, amps and polarity.

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3270/pro-back.jpg

Slingbox Pro

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3232/pro-hd-back.png

Slingbox Pro-HD

mpiontek

I have a SlingBox Pro in pretty steady use since 2007.  It stopped working a few weeks ago.  I had just updated the firmware and replaced my router within about a week of each other just before the box died.  My symptom was a solid power light and no network light at all.  The only thing I noticed was that the port lights on the switch that the box was connected to would blink on and off about once per second.  I went through about 50 old wall-warts before I found one that was 6v at 2 amps with a connector that would fit.  That fixed the problem.  I wonder though about the power supply that came with the SlingBox Pro.  It says it's 6v at 2.5 amps but it seems too small to have that much power.  The one I replaced it with weighs about half a pound and looks like it can supply 2 amps.  In the end though, wall-warts can fail and the symptoms can be very strange and misleading. Circuits can act differently depending on just how much voltage they're actually getting.  You never really know what kind of indication they'll give.  I've been in computer hardware for over 30 years and the first thing you always check is that you're getting proper power to the box.  Hope this helps others.

jdblue

I'm thinking about buying this as a replacement power supply for my Slingbox-Pro.

http://www.rpelectronics.com/rpr-062a5-p5-ac-dc-adapter-6vdc-2-5a.html

With shipping and handling it will be about $31.50.

How much does SlingMedia charge for shipping an adapter?

jeb4

My first attempt at a reply was suppressed by the moderator (I assume). Let me try again.

1. I can't believe people are willing to pay $30.00 or more for a new power supply when it is far from clear that the power supply is the problem.

2. Why buy another Ktec power supply when it apparently fails at random times, unlike the power supply of any other similar device?

3. Isn't it odd that there is no other simple way to buy a 5V 4.0A power supply? I tried looking on the Internet and Radio Shack. They don't have them.

4. Does eferz work for Sling Media or what? He seems awfully cheerful about my >$400.00 worth of Slingbox and Sling Link that no longer work.

5. I have yet to read a rational explanation for the "blinking light" problem. My Slingbox Solo is only 8 months old. It seems odd that the power supplies fail at different times. Many seem to have failed after the last "upgrade." I am not an engineer but I am in a scientific profession. The explanation about a failed capacitor in the power supply causing the network light to blink just does not make sense.

6. Should I throw more money at this? What if my new power supply fails again in 8  months?

eferz Expert

jeb4 wrote:

1. I can't believe people are willing to pay $30.00 or more for a new power supply when it is far from clear that the power supply is the problem.

If it dies prematurely, you should return the unit underwarranty instead of buying a new one.

jeb4 wrote:

2. Why buy another Ktec power supply when it apparently fails at random times, unlike the power supply of any other similar device?

There's no reason to buy one from Sling unless you cannot find one with the same specifications.

jeb4 wrote:

3. Isn't it odd that there is no other simple way to buy a 5V 4.0A power supply? I tried looking on the Internet and Radio Shack. They don't have them.

Radio Shack isn't the only purchase AC adapters.

jeb4 wrote:

4. Does eferz work for Sling Media or what? He seems awfully cheerful about my >$400.00 worth of Slingbox and Sling Link that no longer work.

No, I don't work for Sling Media.  I'm just an advid enthusiast trying to help other people who aren't as technically inclined..  I don't believe I've ever written a post to you.

jeb4 wrote:

5. I have yet to read a rational explanation for the "blinking light" problem. My Slingbox Solo is only 8 months old. It seems odd that the power supplies fail at different times. Many seem to have failed after the last "upgrade." I am not an engineer but I am in a scientific profession. The explanation about a failed capacitor in the power supply causing the network light to blink just does not make sense.

You're well within the 1 year warranty period.  Why make things difficult for yourself?  Just call Sling and have them replace it under warranty.  Because that doesn't make sense, Mr. Scientist.

jeb4 wrote:

6. Should I throw more money at this? What if my new power supply fails again in 8  months?

No, have Sling replace it.

BrandonC Novice

jeb4 wrote:

My first attempt at a reply was suppressed by the moderator (I assume). Let me try again.

Great questions.

1) People do all kinds of strange things. I wouldn't worry about what other people do.

2) All power supplies die at random times. Just like a car battery. One guys battery lasts 5 years and another guys battery in the same car and same type lasts only 1 year. That's just how things work. Far as the KTec ones go I can't say they are any better or worse than any other brand.

3) You mean a 5V, 2.0A power supply right? There are just not that many devices that use so little volts with that high an amp rating is my guess why they don't carry it.

4) See #1 about eferz.

5) There is a difference between a power supply that does nothing and a week power supply. Since SM uses a switching type power supply it can be week and send some voltage and amps but just not enough to run your device. Again with the car battery analogy. Sometime a car battery goes bad and when you turn the key nothing happens. Sometimes is goes "week" and you car cranks slow and will not start. You could also think of a failed capacitor as a week capacitor.

6) If you are out of warranty then you have 2 choices. Throw money at it or throw it away. At the end of the day no one cares what you do.

But here is the real deal, believe me or not. If your network light is flashing and your sling logo light is flashing then it is almost always a week power supply. I only say almost because there is an exception to every rule.

If you are just trying to stir things up here then have at, it but if you really are interested in getting into what your specific issue is then there are other places that can give you good help.

At the end of the day if you are getting the flashing Sling logo and the flashing network light I would try a new power supply. If something different is happening then I suggest you post a new topic with exactly what is happening on your box. That way it is less confusing than jumping in to another thread.

jeb4

I sincerely apologize to everyone, especially eferz, for my rant yesterday. I was very frustrated with the whole experience but that is not a valid excuse.

Here is an update. I decided to invest the $30.00 and call Sling Media tech support. Much to my surprise and delight, I was not charged for the call. And even better, the tech support person, whose name was J.P. (he was great), walked me through an elaborate program of unplugging everything (I have my Slingbox Solo hooked up via Sling Link). First we attached the Slingbox via Ethernet cable directly to the router. After a reset holding the reset button for 20 seconds, the flashing network light went solid. That proved it was not a power supply issue. I unplugged the Sling Link nearest the cable box from the wall and then reconnected all the cables from the Slingbox to the cablebox and the Ethernet cable to the Sling Link and plugged teh Sling Link into the wall. Then we went through the on-line setup menus. Everything is now working properly.

I hope I explained this clearly enough. You may want to try this if you are using Sling Link.

KT123

Thanks for the update Jeb.

See, that's all I wanted; was for support to listen, understand & help me discover what the problem was & if there is a fix for it.  So your post of support was greatly appreciated, as well as the update. You could have just got on with things having found a resolution.

Your phone call to Sling saved you having to buy another power supply, wait days in anticipation & even then not know if that would fix the problem.  Its just a shame that they differentiate the value of your custom as a new customer, over that of mine due to warranty.  I'm not asking them to replace the box.  Their tech support is already employed and available irrespective of my issue.  It is the total lack of care to me as a customer as depicted by the online chat that astounded me.  I got more support & advice from you guys, and thank you for those links efe, I did read them, which has been more support than the company from whom I bought my equipment from.

Living in the UK, I don't have a Radioshack to which I can just nip down to to test the power supply theory with.  My distain is not with the Slingbox as a brand or product.  It is with their customer care, and so I am reluctant to support them financially right now in this ignorant splatter gun approach of fixing my box unless there is absolutely no other alternative.  They couldn't give two hoots about this issue.

So help, please.  Apart from sources from overseas via Ebay, does anyone know where I could purchase a new power supply today in the UK, i.e. high street, so that I could bring it home, try it out, and then if that is not the problem return it.  I'm happy to believe from you guys that this is the problem.  I will however attempt to try Jeb's thing of plugging it straight into the router although not being the greatest tech person & would have preferred to have had someone on the end of the phone holding my hand in case it went phutttt, I'll wait until I've had a few more coffees first . I don't want to lose my internet too!!!

Once again, the comments on here are really appreciated.

KT123

Update.  Out of curiosity, I checked out how much this would actually be from Sling.

Power Supply, Classic/PRO, Euro 2 PIN / UK 3 PIN

"This product is currently not available"

If it were, it costs £14.99 plus £8.08 delivery, total £23.07 & comes from Germany.

So........................

mycheyn
                                                                                      1. how can you say it is a power supply issue when all of these people are saying the same thing on the same day. our units wont get a reading from our router all of a sudden on the same day right after sling did an update the the pro unit. you are ridiculous to say that my power supply is dead.
                                                                                    ChrisM510

I can pretty well confirm that it is a dead power supply causing this issue.  I pulled out my digital multimeter to test the power supply.  Here are my findings for my power supply on my Slingbox PRO (Red colored unit):

Voltage: 6.25 VDC  (Rated voltage is 6 VDC) ~ Test nominal

Amperes: 1.62 Amps (Rated amperes is 2.5 A) ~ Test FAILED

Basically, the unit is getting enough power to perform some basic functions, but is lacking the power to become fully operational.  I have seen this many times before on computers with failed internal power supplies - enough juice being provided to turn on the fans, but not enough to boot the rest of the system.

Not sure why a firmware upgrade would cause a failure in the power supply...I suspect it really didn't, however, I trust my multimeter, and the numbers are what they are.  Black and white case of the power supply not providing the needed power to the device.

I have ordered my replacement power supply.  While I am no fan of Sling Media's new technical support policy, I think it is still best to get bonafide Sling parts for a Sling device from the manufacturer.

Hope this helps someone...

Thanks,

Chris

cgay

Hi Chris,

I have the same network light (5 times) and icon blinking.  I tested my original power supply @ 6.20 Volts with  no load, and 6.14 volts with slingbox attached (under load).  How did you determine the Amp test, did you see a voltage drop?  I do not have an inductive amp meter, just a simple VOM.

Thanks,

-Chris

mark_grantham48

OK, an update.  I got my new adapter from Hong Kong and plugged it in.  Network light carried on blinking.  Tried everything again to make it work.  So I reverted to my other test adapter.... a 5V 1.2A D-Link 4 port ethernet switch adapter.  Everything works perfectly.  This troubles me somewhat.  I'm only a structural engineer so I now have several scenarios to consider:

1.  The HK adapter is sub-standard and is not what it pretends to be.

2.  The 6V 2.5A original Slingbox Pro adapter was incorrect to begin with and over time has created this malfunction.

3.  Something has changed to make a 6V 2.5A adapter inappropriate.

Anyway, for me, it's a power issue.  I'm just not sure why.

eferz Expert

I would be inclined to pick behind what's behind door #1.

mark_grantham48

Wise words indeed.  I bought an adapter from Sling and all is well.

mark_grantham48

This is getting a bit boring now.  All is not well now.  I have a flashing network light again, even with my new sling adapter.  It worked the first time, but the second time gave me flashing lights.  Now I'm back to square one.  I think I'll try to get the sling adapter tested.

rvwindy

I haven't posted a comment about this issue lately but the question seems far from settled as to the power supply problem being the correct fix.  I did contact Leo Laporte ---ZD and TECHTV Call for Help and got through to him via his sister Eva to see if he knew of the problem.. I still think that Sling will not like the publicity it will get if Leo and Kim Kommando start asking listeners about their experiences with sling service. The deterioration of capacitors can cause failure but not after a software update unless it was an intentional spike... It seems we were all zapped at the same update... Like what used to happen when you passed a 18 wheeler who was broadcasting in high power on a CB radio. Why I can't figure out?  Revenue???

eferz Expert

I sincerly doubt it was an "intentional spike", as then everybody would have had been affected.  With a mass manufacturered product like the Slingbox we're probably talking about less than 2% of their entire production.  I have many family members with different models of the Slingbox all across the globe and believe me, I would have been the first one they would complain to since it was my idea to start up this inter-family Slingbox network.

Its possible the new updates raised the heat temperature as a byprodcut of more extensive calculations.  The extra heat could have caused the alumiunm electrolytes within the capacitors of the Slingbox to evaporate faster.  It's possible that there were certain batches of capacitors that not up to par.  As, these same model of capacitors are used in every Slingbox model from the Classic all the way up to the Slingbox Pro-HD.

Unless you're talking about the AC adapters themselves, which aren't actually made by Sling Media.  Instead they are made made by a third-party supplier; K-Tech or Sunny.  Those of which are more suseptable to power line conditions such as brownouts and power spikes.

mark_grantham48

Last update......

I mentioned earlier that my d-link switch adapter worked after the original adapter failed.  Well, after buying a suspect adapter from Hong Kong, and one from Sling, neither of which solved the problem, I bought a 5V 2.5A generic adapter (about $10) that matched the spec on my d-link switch.  My Slingbox Pro works perfectly now using this "incorrect" adapter.

davehole

Yeah well I picked another PSU, living in Hong Kong easy enough to do...

That fixed it....

About picking behind what door #1 is, note it is American design in the first place... and it aint exactly an easy setup anyway..

mlim

Wow, I cannot believe how many people have this issue in the last 2 months.  I have a Slingbox Classic for over 3 years now, and today it just started having this blinking network light issue.  I tried everything most folks here mentioned (e.g. different network cable, router, etc.).  I search around on the net and found this thread.

I will try a new power adapter, but this mass incident is a very strange coincidence if you ask me.

eferz Expert

If you read this article (http://www.smpstech.com/mtblog/electrolytic_capacitor_failure.html), you'll probably understand its not really that much of a coincidence.  I'm not saying its a conspiracy, but certain choices were made when it came to the manufacturing and packaging of the every Slingbox model.

mlim

update on my earlier post:

1) when I tried using another adapter with similar amp and voltage, it worked.  however, what's interesting is that the network light blinked for a while then stopped, but i was still able to connect to my slingbox while the network light is 'off'.  however, after a while, i lost connection, and the router also lost its connection light to that port where i connected the slingbox.

2) after letting the slingbox unplugged for a couple of hours, i tried again with the original adapter and it worked again, and now the network light stayed on and i was able to connect to it.  i am sure it would die after a few minutes.

given my observation above, my only theory so far is that somehow something heats up in the slingbox that affected its network interface electronics.

ChrisM510

Even with my buying a new adapter, it isn't fixed.  With so many people with this problem, and all around the same time, I think it's just time to contact an attorney as well as my state's attorney general office.  This is getting ridiculous.

jdblue

My solution will be to buy a new Slingbox from BestBuy and try the adapter from that one on my old one.  If it fixes the problem I'll return the new SB and buy a new adapter.  If not I'm not sure.  I might keep the new one or send the old one back for repair.  Maybe I'll make the $30 call first since it's will go towards the repair charge.

Thoughts?

eferz Expert

That's certainly one way of doing it.

KT123

Let us know how it goes, jd either way.

If you do go down the route of calling them, I'm really interested to know what the actual $30 / £28 service call will provide.  I've held off that options for now while we hear more from other people's experiences.  Plus a) I'm not convinced it will solve the problem or the solution would be online in the faqs and b) during the summer holidays, there are far more important things to throw money at such as holidays, the kids, & ice creams!!

At the mo, I'm also swaying towards the fact that a new box is needed also & if the adapter doesn't work either, then write this off to "well I got three years use out of the old box...".

jdblue

Ok, so I went to BestBuy and guess what do Slingbox Pros.  In fact SlingMedia doesn't sell them either.  So I broke down and ordered the replacement power adapter.

And guess what?  It didn't fix the issue.

I now have my SB Pro in front of me with the cover off.

Ok now what?

Thoughts?

eferz Expert

Hmm... I just reviewed your posts, and realized that you haven't mentioned that you have performed any of the typical network troubleshooting.  In retrospect, I may have confused your posts with other users whom have done the prequisite troubleshooting one would do prior to falling back on the AC adapter test.

So, I have to wonder if you tried connecting the Slingbox directly to your router.  Whether or not you tried different ports or cables.  Also, if you tried performing a factory reset, in case the Slingbox has an old IP configutation which is not compatible to your current network configuration.  There also have been known issues that were resolved with router firmware upgrades.  Those are some of the things I can think of trying off of the top of my head.

jdblue

Any networking thing you can think of (cable swap, port swap, different router, reset, etc.) I've tried.  The last thing I wanted to do was give SlingMedia any more of my money.  So I tried everything I could think of before I tried the power adapter option.  Well I tried it (on your advice BTW) and that got me no where.

Next option is giving SlingMedia another $100 to swap for a reconditioned unit. Or I could rip apart the the Pro and see what's inside.

cgay

I have tried everything listed in this thread including a new power supply with no luck.  So, I contacted SlingBox technical support today.  They walked me through the same steps detailed in this thread with no luck.  The suppport person then offered me the $99.99 out of warranty replacement option.  I reluctantly decided to do that.  They do cross ship a replacement unit, said mine would be here next Tuesday (2-day UPS).  Warranty on replacement unit is 90 days.  Hope that helps someone else in this decision point... ho hum...

Pens87

Much like everyone else I have been using my SlingBox Pro HD for almost two years without any issues until the recent updates. I called support and they would not acknowledge or even hint that I ordering a new power supply is a good idea. Or that other people are having the same problem since the update. Seems like way too many people have the same problem to be a coincidence.

Not to mention they never let us know about this issue. I have spend so many phone calls with my friends back home trying to get my slingbox working with no luck. A simple email from sling being that they have all our email addresses notifying us of the issue and ways to fix it would have helped avoid lots of frustration.

I will try the power supply and hope it starts working again.

On a different note I have noticed that when there is an update for the slingbox the slingplayer for your computer and phone stop working until you download and install the update. What a horrible model...I am only back to the location of the slingbox a few times a year and this has become a huge headache.

sidneyw

Did everything stated in this thread...

5v 2.5a, 6v 2.5a, 6v 2a

Blinking network light goes on.  This is after 2 years of usage.

ying-chi

Same problem as above. I tried everything, and the Network light is still blinking. My computer is able to locate the Slingbox for about thirty seconds, and then lost the connection. When the slingbox is automatically disconnected, I found the Network like will blink five times. I guess this may be the problem of the firmware, and this company should tell us how to reflash the firmware!

Pens87

New power cord worked for me to correct the problem, pretty sad Sling won't make any acknowledgement that the new update has cause soo many people's box to stop working.  Seems way too much of coincidence that a new power source has fixed so many people's box after the update. Also, I only know about the few people who have posted to this specific forum. I am sure many have called and had to pay $30 for someone to try and help.

I had mine running for two years with no problem till the last update. With the new power code there hasn't been any more problems!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, without this I would have payed the $30 and maybe been forced to get a refurbished model from the company once customer support was unable to help. I will stop all my recomendations to friends, family and coworkers from how Sling has handled this issue.

mycheyn

when did your unit stop working?

MLinden59

I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out how to solve it?

alannelson437

Have tried all the router and sling box reseting and I am still getting a network light that flashes 5 times and repeats.  Is my sling box network adapter broken? All of my other network devices, computers, laptops, Tivo's, Ipods, and Droids see my network and wifi normaly and are operating normaly.  I'm looking for a clear answer on what 5 blinking lights mean?  Initially i was told or red that it was failing network adapters on Slingbox's and then i read some encourging information that said replacing the power supply could fix the problem - power supply replacement didn't fix the problem. Thank you for your help. -best regards. Alan

Tennesseehorn

Hi I read through these posts twice.  My problem seems to be unique.  I  did what jeb4 did.....I plugged the slingbox (solo) directly into my  router and it found an IP address (showed up on my network map) so I did  exactly what jeb4 said he did but it still flashed after everything was  plugged back in.  SO it isn't the power supple  and I switched both  slinglinks and the one that is with the slingbox doesn't show traffic  but the other one does and when I switched them back the same thing  happened so for some reason the slinglinks aren't getting traffic when  they are connect to the slingbox via an ethernet cable and I switched  that out too.  Thoughts?

peterv

I had exactly the same problem (blinking red lights)...I replaced the power supply and it fired right up.

ACC60544

Where can I purchase a new power supply and how much does it cost.   I am having the same problem.  I have used sligbox for many years and never had any problems until recently.  Red blinking light will not stop blinking  and therefore I cannot use slingbox HELP!!!

jeb4

Here is what I did with the blinking network light and the related problem of the repeated freezing of the streaming with my Slingbox Solo. I finally called tech support. If they find that the problem is with your hardware (that is, the Slingbox itself), they will send you another (refurbished) device and refund your $29.99 fee for the phone call. I have just received my third Slingbox (second replacement).

The troubleshooting takes a long time so allow for at least 60-90 minutes. Unfortunatey, you must be at home to do this because it involves among other things, resetting the box, hooking it directly to your router etc,, all of which require you to be at the site where the box is.

Most of the tech support people are very nice and know what they are doing. You just have to be patient and resist the urge to throw the Slingbox out the window.

One of the tech support people admitted to me that then problem is definitely with the capacitors. One wonders why they just don't put better capacitors in it in the first place.

Murph74

Well, can't say I'm thrilled about it, but I've got the power supply problem, too.

For me, the power light stayed on no matter what I did when plugged in (IE no action on reset button), and the netowrk light stayed dimly lit, and kept floating between dim and slightly brighter.  I could also see the port the slingbox was connected to on my router showing a regular disconnect interval (Roughly on 4 seconds, off 2). Tested th original power supply with a multimeter, and everything SEEMED to be ok.  Tried the reboots, the direct cable ethernet to my PC, multiple different cables, all the other suggestions, and no changes on the unit.

After reading this thread, I grabbed the closest rated power block I had handy (a samsung 5v 3A from my Sprint AirRave), and everything is fine now using that!  Guess it's time to order another power supply.  Honestly, I'm reluctant to buy another one from Sling though, knowing it'll probably onl;y last ne 2-3 years and they seem to be a "nickle and dime ya to death" type company.  Was hoping that would change after Dish bought them out, but not so much.  I've already had to buy the mobile app twice because I switched phones.  If it were indeed the Solo unit that was bad, I'm 100% confident I'd be a  FORMER slingbox user simply becuase of their customer service fees.

Awesome technology from day one; and for all they impress me when it works- it's the exact opposite when it doesn't.  (You know-- the whole "great guy" thing until you need somehting from them).

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread to help me get this thing going for a while longer!