6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2012 8:24 AM by hester RSS

SlingPlayer blocked

SimonBS

Hi.

I hope this is the right forum to post this thread.

Is there a way to bypass a block of SlingPlayer? The SlingPlayer and the web-player is blocked.

I can setup a server at home, if it will help? I just don't know how and what to set up. It does not matter if the SlingPlayer or the web-player will be working - just one of them.

Thanks in advance

Simon B. Støvring

Denmark

• Re: SlingPlayer blocked
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi SimonBS,

Can you explain more about the block ?  I don't understand what is being blocked or how.  When "blocked" can you still launch the Player even if it won't connect ?

If you can watch your Slingbox at home (on the same network) but not remotely over the internet, you're probably not blocked.  You may need to adjust some settings in the router for port forwarding so the Player can connect to the Slingbox from outside your home network.  If your router isn't allowing incoming connections from the internet, this would affect both the regular full application and the Web Player.

The easiest way to tell if your router's port forwarding is the problem is to try and watch from inside the house and then away from home over the internet.  If you can watch at home but not away, your router isn't allowing the remote connection and it's normally an easy fix.

Regarding setting up a home server, that's not necessary.  There's nothing to "serve", the Slingbox handles all of that itself.

Post back with some more information and let's see what we can do. 

- Az

SimonBS

Yes. I'm sorry. I rushed way too much when asking the question.

My Slingbox is working fine - no problem there! I have access to it from outside and inside the house. The problem is, that I'm trying to connect to my Slingbox from a place where the port for some reason have been blocked and I would like to bypass this.

And my question is: is that possible in any simple way? Or can I have some sort of server running at home to bypass this?

Hi SimonBS,

You can change the port, and it's a snap.  Slingbox uses 5001 by default, but you can edit that.  I have two Slingboxes at my house on the same LAN and needed to do this so both were accessible for remote viewing- one on 5001, the other on 5002.  Different problem, same general solution.  I suppose you could set up a proxy server like you've mentioned, but I think that's overkill.

You can change the port with the setup assistant.  Go in to your configuration and choose Change Network Settings.  This will start the network assistant and one of the first questions will ask if you want to set up remote viewing.  Choose yes and proceed.  When you get to the router config screen, choose Manual (Advanced).  Here's a screen shot from the Mac Player (Windows will be similar):

Picture 1.png

After that, you'll get a screen where you can enter the Slingbox IP, Subnet and Router IP.  Fill it in with the info you're already using and proceed.  It helps a lot if your Slingbox has a static IP on the LAN.

Next, select the port.  Here's a shot:

Picture 2.png

That's it.  As long as the port forwarding rules on your router match what you entered here, you're set.

If your Players are using SlingID to find your Slingbox, that will get automatically updated quickly and the SlingID will start pointing to the correct place.  If any of your Players are manually configured, you'll need to adjust them.

So, the big thing now is to find an open outgoing port on the restricted network that you're allowed to use that is also open from your ISP down to your network.  In short, if the path between your Player on the restricted net is clear all the way to your router, the rest is easy as I've outlined above.

Good luck !

- Az

u8kiwi

I dont know if you have the same situation I do..when trying to get slingbox to work from out of country, it keeps asking for the password..I keep typing it in, and it keeps asking...how can i get around this?

Hi u8kiwi,

I don't think you are having problems with a blocked port.  You're getting stuck here, right ?

Picture 1.png

If you try to connect and get to the point where it asks for a password then all the network stuff-- including the port-- is working.  The problem has got to be something else.

Things to try:

- Are you sure you are typing your Slingbox hardware password ?  That is different than your Sling Account password.

- Your Slingbox has two hardware passwords, Viewing and Admin.  If you're typing the admin password, make sure the Log in as Administrator box is checked.

- Az

hester

My work is blocking when i try to download slingplayer on my computer saying there has to be an administrator log in is there a way around this so i can view on my work computer?