13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2010 6:05 PM by eferz RSS

slingbox solo does not respond to anything

hertzkaz

Hi all,

I have purchased a slingbox solo recently on ebay (according to seller, perfect working condition), but I'm not able to get it work. Everything is connected up (network, ir, composit) and when I plug the power in, the power led starts to blink, then after a while it turns solid, and that is it.

The network led does not come up at all, not even blinking, and the led for the port on my router is also blank, so the router does not detect the link at all.

When trying the reset button, nothing happens. According to the video here on the support page, the leds (power, net, and streaming leds) should come up, then either go off or stop blinking and turn to solid. This does not happen at all.......

Any idea what can be the problem? Is it dead or am I doing something wrong?

Thx in advance!

Zoltan

• Re: slingbox solo does not respond to anything
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Hertzkaz,

Sorry to say this, but based on your description you likely have either a bad Slingbox or a bad power supply.  FYI, using a bad/wrong PS is an easy way to turn the Sling into Slag.  The classic example is accidentally plugging the router's PS into the Slingbox.

When you first connect power- regardless of whether anything is plugged in to the ethernet port- you should see some brief activity from the network light.  This holds true even if your Slingbox has not be configured.

How long did you hold the reset button ?  Sounds like you found the correct support page so you probably did it right, but try holding the reset button longer.  If the hardware is in working order, that really should fix it.

Some other things to consider, these are long shots:

- See if the setup assistant in SlingPlayer can see your Solo on the LAN.  Unlikely, but it's quick and costs nothing.

- While you're at it, verify your ethernet cable is good.

- Inspect the PS.  If it's swollen up or the casing is visibly damaged, that's not good.

- Swap the PS.  Any Radio Shack should have what you need in stock.  The Solo user guide is available HERE and lists the specs in the back on page 10.  It bites to spend the $12 or so on something you may not need, but thought I'd mention it.  Here's a clip of the relevant info:

Picture 1.png

The bottom line is that If your Solo fails reset and you can not see any initial activity at power on from the network LED (it'll be brief, maybe 2 - 3 seconds), it is very likely that you have a hardware failure and the unit might be trashed.

Wish I had a better answer !    Hopefully some other folks or here have some more optimistic experience.

- Az

hertzkaz

Hi AZ,

it does nothing. When I connect the power cable the power led comes up immediatelly and it is solid. No blinking at all even on the power led, the network led does not come up at all, not even for a sec....

I have tried the reset button from 5secs to ~50secs, but again no response from the device, power led stays solid, the other leds stay dark. Of course setup assistant does not find anything on the local network....I have tried with 3 different network cable, the result is the same, also tried with 2 different router no joy either.

The power supply looks ok, no visible damage, and my router is far away from the tv set, so I pretty sure I've never pluged in a wrong ps into the box. Anyway if the PS is the problem, then I guess it did the damage already on the box also, so I guess that was it.....

Thx for your help and if you have any further idea, then please share! Altough I don't belive in miracles

Thx again!

Zoltan

Aw rats.  Sorry it didn't work out.  I'm fresh out of ideas, hopefully someone else will chime in.

The biggest resource for stuff like this is shutting down tomorrow morning (slingcommunity.com).  If you get this in time, you might have a peek and do a search over there, see if there's anything useful lurking about.

Take it easy,

- Az

hertzkaz

Hi all,

I have found this:

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/11514/HELP---Is-my-SlingBox-dead--No-reset/

The guy had exactly the same problem as mine (ok not the same model), and actually he has managed to solve it...

Does anyone have any more info on this thread? Becasue he did not posted the solution (of course).....

Many thx in advance!

Zoltan

thedataman1

HELP.....I have this same issue with my Slingbox Solo....I noticed the network light was out the other night.....tried to connect tonight and bam.....nothing....tried connecting directly to MAC, not recognized....

Tried reset, power light does not even blink on a reset.....network light does not come on at all.....this thing was hooked up and working perfectly through Feb.  and now nothing.....no network changes, no power outages...nothing in the environment around this thing changed at all....what gives?

hertzkaz

Hi there,

welcome to the club !

According to the other forum (which is now deleted...), this happens sometimes to all sling products, old and new.

A couple of guys managed to get their's back with a new power supply, so I would suggest to try that first. The power supply specification have been added to the thread by ArizonaSackbut. If you are within the warranty period then call them and ask for a new PS (or maybe a new box right away...), if you are not, then try buying a universal one, that can support the required current and voltage (5VDC and 4A). Be careful with the polarity!

Unfortunately I had to take a business trip, so I can't try this on mine for now......

Please keep us posted!

Thx and good luck!

Zoltan

niteflyr Newbie

Same exact symptoms here with my 2 year old Solo. Called support, paid $29.99, they  tried a few things, said it was either power supply or bad box. They  said they would send a new Solo for $70 more ($99.99 total). I found a  power supply with same rating and that fixed it. I would have never guessed power supply. The power light was on at all times. Weird.

thedataman1

Received the new power supply Friday. Tried it with the SOLO over the weekend. Same problem.....Power light on SOLO satys on, no network light. Went through reset procedures with no luck.

Looks like maybe an internal issue with the SOLO iteself. Need to call support again, unit is less than a year old, so should be able to get a replacement.

Bummer...I need this thing up and running in the next 2 weeks.....!!!

Hi dataman,

It's a bummer the new power supply didn't get you back up quickly. 

Looks like maybe an internal issue with the SOLO iteself. Need to call support again, unit is less than a year old, so should be able to get a replacement.

Yeah, the support folks should be able to help.  Sounds like you've gone through the right steps to me, but have a look at this support doc before calling them:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005589.html

(Reset procedures & firmware update, specific to Sling SOLO)

I'm not suggesting you haven't tried that stuff already or did it wrong.  I'm saying it's worth the time to look it over once more before calling.  For one thing, the Support guys are likely to ask you the same questions that are in the doc I linked to.  For another, it'll help ensure that you've isolated the problem to hardware (useful in case you're asked for a per-incident support fee.  Covered hardware failures get that refunded).

Good luck !

- Az

hertzkaz

Hi all,

I have managed to get a new power supply for my Slingbox, and it actually did the job!

So with the new power supply my box is up and running once again, and working fine. I would have never thought that a power supply can have this affect on the box, but it seems that it is true, that these power supplies have some problem with them.

Thx to ArizonaSackbut for the tip and to niteflyr to make me believe that a new power supply is the key to solve this problem!

Now I'm happy

Zoltan

Micke0 Newbie

Today I opened up the original  power supply...

broken capis2.JPG

....could it be the 2 bulping  cylinders in front wich are "out of order"?