7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 12:15 PM by TG2 RSS

Connecting - Windows XP system

SELJPLC

My Slingbox Solo works with 2 computers in the house which use Windows 7 and Windows Vista.  It will not connect with a Netbook using Windows XP(Service Pack3) although it is identified.  It did work earlier in the year on this Netbook but since then the latest firmware has been downloaded onto the netbook.  Is this the problem or can anyone help, please!!

• Re: Connecting - Windows XP system
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Are you watching the SB on your netbook with the standalone player or through a web browser (IE or Firefox).   If the latter, and if with Firefox, your Firefox brower may have updated to version 7, which may require re-installation of the slingmedia player plugin.

SELJPLC

Many thanks for replying - I use Firefox updated to version 7 BUT I have downloaded the latest firmware and, although the Slinbox is identified, it will not auto-connect with the netbook.

TG2 Newbie

Error message?

SELJPLC

My netbook is identified and it tries to auto-connect to the Slingbox but the the message 'There was an error connecting to your Slingbox.  Please try again'  appears and keeps appearing every time I try to connect.  The Slingbox works perfectly with the other 2 computers using Windows Vista and Windows7 which use Firefox 7.

TG2 Newbie

and on the netbook you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin, and also firefox?  (tried IE?)

one other possible cause would be the netbook not being on the same IP subnet as the slingbox.

but in general, when something like what you've described is happening 3 machines in house, 2 work fine, the 3rd not, suggests something is happening differently for the 3rd than the other two, and that could be sling software not loading properly, the browser not connecting, firewalling on the pc getting in the way, even seen people using "Download Manager" software as an add on, and that stopps the connection from happening properly (because the download manager is seeing the data traffic as a download, not a data stream for a "waiting" application)

you can also look for any issues showing up inside your WebSlingPlayer.txt file .. attempt to connect first.. once it errors then open the text file, go to the very end of the file.. and then search "Up" from there for the IP address of your Slingbox ... making sure its the correct one (had a user that was having a really odd router issue, and it was mangling the packets directing them directly back to the router, rather than to the IP of the slingbox)

SELJPLC

Having tried all suggestions with still no connection I decided to ignore the normal wireless connection and used an ethernet cable directly between the netbook and the router - this connected with no problem!!  Many thanks for all suggestions.

TG2 Newbie

Ahh.. driver and or thruput issue ... it could be that its not getting the right device and so redresses to the gateway ... saw this in one case where the user logged packets and captured one that should have gone to the slingbox ... but because of the routing fault the packets were re-written to the router, rather than the IP of the box!

Though its more likely the SlingPlayer isn't properly able to adapt the streaming properties (network connection properties deeper into the construction of the packets) when on the wireless...  could be port not getting mapped back properly, or packet dropped for accidental reasons that you wouldn't see without having some form of wireless traffic log to know for sure..