6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2011 1:46 PM by CDzNutz RSS

Halting, Stuttering, Pixelizing Video on Samsung 4G Epic Touch Phone

Filibogado

I just purchased an Android SlingPlayer for my new Samsung 4G Epic Touch smartphone and it is performing worse than my older Motorola Q9C version. Even at 4G speeds, the video keeps freezing and breaking up and stopping intermittently. I am using the same carrier Sprint so that seems to rule their network out. Could the problem be with the phone or the SlingPlayer software? Also, I'm still using an old Slingbox AV and was wondering if upgrading to Solo might fix or minimize this problem. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Fil

• Re: Halting, Stuttering, Pixelizing Video on Samsung 4G Epic Touch Phone
          Apprentice

Hi Filibogado,

You're correct. Upgrading the Slingbox will give you a better quality.  Remember that the Slingbox AV is not supported to work with the Android Player, so, even it could work, the quality will not be the best and you might experience these type of issues. With the Slingbox SOLO and meeting the minimum network requirements, you will not have any type of video issues using your 4G Epic Touch.

Regards and hope this helps

tedkord Newbie

Not necessarily. I have a ProHD, and was expecting smooth streamng when I upgraded to a 4G phone from my older 3G, but it's no better. Still stutters and freezes constantly, with bad pixellation. My home connection has 4Mbps upload speeds, and my LTE phone downloads at 15-20Mbps - more than enough bandwidth for SD streaming.

I tried to watch the Vikings-Packers yesterday while I was out, and it was unwatchable. I found a website streaming the game, and it was perfect. Gameplay streamed from websites or the NFL mobile app is beautiful - the Slingbox is unwatchable. That tells me the problem is the Slingbox.

I've tried QOS enabled, disabled. I've tried behind the router, and DMZ. I've tried switching the port on the router. Nohting makes it any better. Streams OK over WIFI at my home.

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

I just bought a Droid Razr and was very excited to see Slingbox streaming like a champ on my new 1.2 Ghz 4G LTE. Alas, I experienced the same issues with very poor quality which made it unwatchable. The work around was to go into settings on my phone, select Wireless & networks, then Mobile Networks. The last stage is to change the Network Mode to CDMA only (Verizon). This changes the radio reception to 3G. This fixed the problem for now until the Slingbox folk figure this out. They will be offering Slingbox with Verizon subscriptions pretty soon for 4G LTE users. They have to fix it. Lets hope its sooner rather than later.

CDzNutz

Same exact problem on my brand new Samsung Galaxy Nexus through Verizon (dual core processo 4g lte) Same garbage as with the OG, the DroidX, The Droid 2, and the HTC Thunderbolt. Everything else I play through the phone is beautiful, just not my Slingbox. If my internet speeds are so much faster through the phone than my home Internet, then why would this be the case. I can tether my laptop through the phone and slingbox is ****, but through my slow home Internet connection the picture is beautiful. It's not a question as to whether or not the phone has the capabilities, it has to be something else. Tired of spending money on all this so I can watch my tv anywhere and the picture is still dung.

Don't know why but today (the day following my previous post) my Droid Razr and Slingbox are happiliy humming on 4G LTE. Let's celebrate. Champagne anyone?

johnsoka

Having similiar problems on my Verizon Bionic.  Other video streams work fine (e.g. NFL Mobile) via 4G.  I had thought about the CDMA option but the problem now is how to test the player without buying it with no return option.

I just purchased the Solo and am testing it to see whether it is worth it.  I purchased the player and tried to test but had the exact issues described in this post.  I uninstalled the player in order to get a refund and now cannot re-install without committing to $30 Non-refundable.  The user manual with the Solo says there is a 30-day trial available but I cannot find it.  I am now stuck with either risking $30 or returning the whole thing with only 10 minutes of trying to make it work.

Any advice ?  TIA