30 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2012 4:47 AM by metzgerc Branched to a new discussion. RSS

I keep losing internet connection

turfrico

I keep losing internet connection.  error message 0x923400dc.  I have a sling solo

• Re: I keep losing internet connection
          msuperstein

Same problem here.  It connects for about 12 seconds, then the lights start to blink and it gets disconnected.  Can somebody please help?

Sunshine_D Newbie

I keep getting disconnects with error message W201.  No amount of restarting or rebooting or hard resetting everything or going through setup over and over or replacing the router or replacing the power supply or checking the connections has helped.  What else could it be?  Does Sling support have any answers?  My Slingbox is out of warranty.  Could the recent firmware upgrade be the culprit?  Are they aware of the problem?  I just don't have solid answers and I'm frustrated.

Apprentice

Hi guys,

For these network issues that you are getting when you connect to the Slingbox SOLO, I recommend to perform all the steps that we have at this article,

Troubleshooting Slingbox SOLO streaming and network issues

Have you tried a different power supply?

Hope this helps

Regards

msuperstein

Fofo, I appreciate the advice, but I've done everything in the troubleshooting guide.  After the update, the slingbox solo simply won't hold the connection for more than 15 seconds.  I have given up.  Love slingbox, but I'm not going to buy a new one.  It was working fine before the update, so I have to believe this is slingbox's fault and they should fix whatever they broke.  There's too many people complaining, so I know it's not just me.

Sunshine_D Newbie

The workaround I have discovered by literally trying every possible combination is to view the slingbox solo at the "Better" resolution setting from the browser viewer.  If you are watching from the Ipad or the iPhone/IPad Touch apps you have to keep it in SQ mode.   This workaround stabilizes things as much as possible, but I have not figured out exactly why.  It could be the firmware/software has a bug that pops up at higher bitrates or when changing bitrates on the fly as it does in Auto resolution.  It could be a hardware failure that is most sensitive to higher bitrates or resolution/bitrate changes occurring in the Auto setting.  Several posts mention bulging capacitors causing unreliability. Perhaps the higher workload of higher resolutions triggers the hardware failure?   I am reluctant to take my slingbox apart even though I am out of warranty.  I'm hoping it is software or firmware causing the issue and that they will fix it.  Using the workaround of viewing in "Better" resolution mode at least keeps the Slingbox functional until the issue is resolved by Sling Media or the users.

metzgerc

I'm going to try the BETTER video option and see if that works to maintain the connection.  Back in a day or too after testing the reliability. 

NO LUCK.  Still locks up and requires a power reset to get it working again.  Not much good if nobody is home.

Message was edited by: metzgerc

Apprentice

Hi turfrico and all, we are aware about the difficulties connecting to your Slingboxes at this time. We're working to resolve this issue as quickly as we can. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience. We'll update this notice when we have more information.

zed1zillion

You'll find I've posted several times about this issue over the past couple of months. My box, after resetting it, will no longer configure as the network connection cycles in the middle of the setup procedure. I've attempted this using the browser based set and the desktop app - no difference. This issue has NOT been fixed.

You can't tell me it's a network problem when I can see and control my satellite box during the configuration process - of course, until the network connection cycles and stops the configuration sequence. I now own a brick with two glowing red lights - needless to say, this experience will keep me from ever buying another Sling Media or Dish Network product.

haroldg1

I'm getting the same exact error on my brother's Slingbox. I can see the box and go thru most of the setup process. then the connection drops and doesn't complete.

This is very frustrating because the box used to work like a charm, then suddenly it would drop connections every few minutes.

I did the hard reset after reading all the troubleshooting tips, now it's stuck in this setup failure.

bluesguitarbob

I have the same problem checked the tcpip address and cannot change the public ip in my account to the one on my router the box connects fine in the local network but won't connect to internet, The other forems are saying that there was a firmwear sent out that sets the IP static I cannot set the dchp to accept the isp ip

jennie1

I am having a problem with mine as well.  I just bought a new one because my old one no longer worked with my Mac.  I have been trying to set up the new one and cannot get it to stay connected when I am trying to set up internet viewing.  Is there a fix or do I need to return this.

ChristianStange

Same problem, might be a different issue.

Late last month , the slingbox starter acting wierd, basically becomes really ustabile. Loooses connection all the time, works only for short time, before vanishing.

Since I thought this had to do with the software (I tend to blame MS for all my issues with real hardware), i didn't spend any time with the problem before last night.

But last night I had to redesign my internal network, and I decided to solve this problem. What I found was that the slingbox solo by itself disconnect from the network (independend of connection) with unregular timeframes , and as far I can detect, without reason. Leave it by itself, and it seems to keep connection for longer timeframes, give it something to do, and it becomes shorter, but not predictable.

I'm NORWAY,so my reseller has to solve this. But my first solution is to wait for a new firmware. I'm pretty sure this came from the previous firmware, and I' m counting on this beeing solved given so much time sling media use to claim there is no problem....

ACC96978

Yes, mine is doing the same thing. If you know the IP address of the Slingbox you can start a continuous ping (ping 192.168.1.x -t) across the local network and as soon as you connect using the software either the player or the web plugin it will soon or Immediately stop pinging. The software player/plugin Immediately gets a communication error. This in itself is unusual as the software player usually will maintain the connection when the problem is with the local network router and the video will just pause. Switching to the Dos window with a continuous ping running It will ping timeout 1-3 times. You then have to wait for it to start pinging again and then click connect in the software and start watching again until the Slingplayer network connection drops once more.

When the software isn't connected to the slingbox the continous ping never gets a single packet loss. start the software and it will stop pinging very soon if not as soon as the software attempts to connect or connects.This happens on the internal network as well as when accessing the hardware via the internet.

I have physically stood in front of the Slingbox and watched the network light go off while watching the ping window, see the ping

Immediately stop replying and as soon as the network light comes back on the pings are again successful..

I have also ran continuous pings to other devices on the local network (ie. Wireless router and other wired network computers) and they never time out yet the Slingbox will be experiencing ping packet loss when attempting to connect.

bluesguitarbob

After hours with teck help they found that ISP blocked vidio streeming on my modem and was able to reconfigure it. Don't believe your provider when they tell you they do not block ports, they do they want to block blockbuster and it causes problems with your slingbox. Maybe  Blockbuster should investigate Century Link to findout why

Lilli73

I have the same Problem, here in Germany, like the other Guys, it is possible that your SlingServer have any Problems, did you made any changes, because it works for Month and now i have a lot of trouble to connect to your Server (or better to my Slingbox).

Before i Reset the whole Slingbox, i think that can fix the Problems, i see the Stream for a few seconds and the the connection break down!

After Resetting the Box, i try to configure and download the Firmware, it works for a short while (so i configured the Box in 100 steps).

The Ping from my PC to the Slingbox is quit OK and stable, if i try to connect to your Server to configure or Stream something, the Slingbox loose the connection after a short time and the PC loose the ping Ping to the Slingbox (I see it also on the LED State)

What can I do, i see i am not the only one that have connection Problems.

We all payed a lot of money for the Slingbox and the expensive Mobile Player (24€ for each Device) and now we cannot use it anymore????

Please investigate and inform us in this Forum....

If you mean it is not a global Problem, and you know that you don't have Problems on your Side, i will send you the Box because it have warranty....

dha

I have same issue, any updates on this? Slingbox will be out of business soon if they don't respond to this problem

booomer3591

I am having the same problem..after 10-15 seconds my connection is lost. I am also unable to find a paid technical support phone number.

bluesguitarbob

Hey boomer try slingbox online support or call the 800 number ask for Raffial he is realy good

ejmeyersieck

I am also having the same problem.  Had this slingbox setup in Michigan for over a year and worked almost perfectly through all the different upgrades...then about a few months ago it stopped working. It started dropping the network connection after about 15-25 seconds.  The network light would be solid and then all of a sudden turn off for a few seconds and then back on. I gave up at that point.  Later, I moved to California and now am on a much faster internet connection, different ISP & different router.  After trying it once again, I still have the same problem.  I reset the Solo to factory defaults more than one time and tried to get this problem to stop.  Once again, I have had no luck.  Interestingly enough, the network light stays solid while nothing is accessing the slingbox, but once you try and stream, the light turns off.  I am starting to believe this is a Sling Media hardware issue and not us consumers....

zed1zillion

No disrespect to others who have posted, but my issue is not related to my DSL modem or ISP blocking streaming video. I'm trying to use my Solo on my local network (I'd like to use it elsewhere too - but that isn't happening either). I can find the box fine, play for 15 seconds or so and then the network light goes out, the screen says "optimizing" and then the connection drops - all on my local network.

By the way, I had been unable to reconfigure my box after resetting it (previously I couldn't get past the selection of my set top box step). I discovered that using the online configuration app and selecting "nothing" as my inputdevice, I could skip several steps in the config process and get my box configured. I'm not sure I can still control my satellite box input, but I can see and hear it for at least 15 second or so.

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

rldiestel

I've had slingbox solo for 3 wks and never had connection last longer than 5 minutes...until finding this

thread     https://community.sling.com/thread/1493

I changed mtu setting to 1462 and have had a good connection for the last 2 hours.

Check out comments by jbdean83, he solution, solved my problem in about 10 min.  After days of searching for

an answer.