3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2011 9:35 AM by dbsguy RSS

Poor Audio-Video Quality-Sling Classics

DonCarr

I have a high speed internet connection yet sling quality audio and video is poor. Continually get error message that my connection is not fast enough for high quality. There is no significant difference when quality settings are adjusted to lowest. I've attached screenshots. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Message was edited by: DonCarr

• Re: Poor Audio-Video Quality-Sling Classics
          dbsguy Apprentice

Try doing a speed test at speedtest.net as the one you attached doesn't pass the smell test. Im stating that as your stated upload speed is 10 Mb faster then your download speed and also stats that you are on a T3 line which is simply not used for conventional home connections.

DonCarr

Thanks for your reply. Results from speedtest.net are attached

dbsguy Apprentice

Although the tests you ran are all well above the needed stats to achieve a good picture, the upload speeds range drastically from 2-7 meg from just what you listed. It is NOT normal to have this much of a swing and indicates a problem with your connection (although even with the lowest reported speed it would be more then ample in terms of supporting a good quality connection for a slingbox.

Keep in mind that you have the old discontinued "Classic" model which is only able to max out at a reslution of 640x240. Small screens are viewable; but not optimal and full screen mode is ----well lets say---NOT desirable to say the least when compared to what other models of slingbox can produce.

The slingbox solo is capable of producing a max resoution of 640x480; while the Pro HD model can achieve upto 1080i HD!

Higher resolution rates as well as faster slingbox hosting location upload speeds go hand in hand with remote viewing quality fluidity of picture. Fast action scenes are real prevelant to choppiness, pixelization and or motion blur at lower resolutions and  upload speeds.

If your a new slingbox user, your probably not going to be happy with the "Classic" model based on your posts initial inquiries....