1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 12:04 PM by rokume RSS

Slingbox AS Proxy Server or VPN

HLBLANTON

Hey, this is a bit out of the box, but how about as added functionality make the slingbox work as a proxy server or VPN host? The idea is that if, for example, you are traveling abroad you would connect to your sling to watch US tv. Great, but what if you want access to netflix, hulu, etc? You can get there with a proxy or VPN from a third party, or set up a pc at home to be a dedicated server. This is simple stuff, so why not integrate right onto the sling? That way the device would let me place shift not only my tv watching, but also my web access.

• Re: Slingbox AS Proxy Server or VPN
          rokume

They way I get access to Netflix, Hulu, etc. is to connect my Roku device to my Slingbox device.  In my case the Roku is on the composite video port of my SB.  I use Slingplayer on my PC in France, but the add-on for the browser just fine.  The PC is connected to my TV for viewing a larger screen.   My uplink from the SB is 5 Mbps and the download speed in France is 8 Mpbs.  I've been watching my movie services for over two years now from France or any other place outside the USA.  Roku is cheap enough ($50 for the basic model).  No monthly fees.  Of course you don't have to use Roku, any similar product will work (Boxee, WD Media Center Hub, etc.).