2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:46 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Watch different channels than those at home

j0p478

The slingbox Pro-HD has a separate tuner. I thought this would enable people who are away from home to watch different channels than those who are at home. It doesn't work that way. For this purpose I don't see that the Pro model has any advantage over the Slingbox Solo? Any comments?

• Re: Watch different channels than those at home
          Danno99

This is supposed to be possible by using a splitter and have one incoming cable go to your cable box and the other go to your slingbox.

I set mine up like this yesterday but it still changes the channel on my TV, so I haven't been able to quite figure this out myself.

• Re: Watch different channels than those at home
              chakkarinen Apprentice

I think the key to watching one channel on your SB while people sitting in front of the TV watch a different channel is that either you have to program two input sources on your SB -- for example, one for the coax coming directly from your splitter and one for the S-Video or component or composite video cables (depends on which type you used) coming to your SB directly from your cable box.  To be able to watch different channels at the same time, the folks in front of the TV can not be viewing the same input source as the signal that you are trying to sling at the same time.

In my setup, I get many fewer stations on the direct coax cable than I do on the signal-thru-cablebox cable.   But I can sling those fewer channels on the direct coax cable while folks in front of the TV watch many more stations with their hands on the cable box remote.