7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2011 12:02 AM by chakkarinen RSS

Can I set up a slingbox remotely- internationally

kjmartin77

My sister just moved to Switzerland and is inquiring about getting slingbox. I'd like to try it out, but wanted to make sure I will still be able to set it up here in the states with her- in Switzerland. What will I need?

Someone said I will need her computer, but that's not possible - any suggestions?

• Re: Can I set up a slingbox remotely- internationally
          callanish Apprentice

I'm assuming she isn't tech savvy enough to run the sling software installation, but she is capable of connecting the slingbox to her cable / sat box and internet router? If she can install the slingbox, but you need to set it up, my only suggestion on how to do this from afar is for you to remotely take over her computer with her installing the free logmein software on her end and you take over her computer from your end allowing you to go through the software procedure for installing the slingbox. Once you've done this and have setup a sling account, you can then sign in to the sling account using a browser plugin and watch her slingbox in Switzerland from your location.

www.logmein.com

Setup an account, she installs the free logmein software on her computer. You sign in to this account through a browser plugin on your computer allowing you remote access to her computer giving you the ability to run sling's initial setup required on her local network in order to make the slingbox work.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I  read your original message a different way -- namely, that it is your sister in Switzerland who would like to watch TV programs from the USA over her computer screen in Switzerland.    So perhaps the question is whether YOU can set up a Slingbox in the USA, and then provide your sister with a user account so that she can watch her favorite US programs from Switzerland?   If my reading is the correct one, then you should be able to set up the SB at your place in the USA so that she can view programs from Switzerland.

callanish Apprentice

Chakkarinen, I think we've actually gone done this road before where I mistranslated what the person was originally trying to do on another post. You were correct on the last one; let's see if you are two for two.

kjmartin77

Yes - this is right. I am here, she is there. And I am confused as to whether I actually need her computer or something here with me to set it up, or if I will be able to just provide her password or something so she can then view from there...

Make sense?

Thanks so much for your help!!

fgolds

I am asking the same questions...my son is in Germany.  Can I buy the slingbox pro hd here and set it up on one of my local computers and then have him download the slingbox and sign on....he has an apple computer...thanks  frank

chakkarinen Apprentice

kjmartin, the answer to you is yes, you can purchase an SB in the USA and set it up on your  USATV.   Then your sister in Switzerland can watch USA programs on your USA TV broadcasts if you email to her the login ID and password, and she goes to http://watch.slingbox.com with Internet Explorer or Firefox.  There is also a stand-alone slingbox player software for some brands of computers that she can download, if she doesn't want to use the web browser access method. You might want to follow the instructions on the Sling help pages about setting up a "guest user account and password" for your sister, rather than giving her the main adminstrator user id and password that you will define when you set up your Slingbox in the USA -- just so the setup of the device doesn't get messed up accidentally.

Her viewing will work best if you have at least a couple megabits per second UPLOAD speed on your Intrenet service and she has at least the same amount of DOWNLOAD speed on her internet service in Switzerland.   Otherwise, it is possible that the video during her viewing sessions could stutter or stall.   And if she wants to watch the USA broadcasts in HD, then you both may need several times more speed in your Internet service to avoid stuttering/stalling.