28 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 2:53 PM by jamesmccourt RSS

Is it true that Slingcatcher is discontinued?

YerBuddy

I just purchased a Slingbox and Slingcatcher.

I'm currently working in Germany for the US Government and my Slingbox is setup at a friend's house in California.  I can watch via the internet and Slingplayer, but the Catcher can't connect.  I think I know the problem and it has to do with setting up port forwarding at the Slingbox site.  I can't do that at the moment since my friend is on vacation.  However, as soon as he returns then I should be good to go... I hope.

Anyway, I'm now seeing rumors on the net that the catcher may be discontinued.  Is this in fact true?  If so, is there a replacement in the works?

• Re: Is it true that Slingcatcher is discontinued?
          georgechityat

I hope not.  The catcher is the best **** thing they came out with.  I have 2.  I bought the first one for $400 after waiting 2 years for it!

I don't need a computer to watch my slingbox 6000 miles away.  My catcher is like having a second cable box.  I just turn it on, and watch foreign tv.

FixItPete

My understanding is that the Catcher is being disontinued to "focus on the provider channel" -- in other words, they want to sell catcher-type things to the cable companies and then have them RENT them to you.

LOL.  I hope I'm wrong, perhaps somebody from Sling will speak-up.

georgechityat

I hope I don't get moderated.

I had a Sling classic from almost day 1.

I have 3 slingboxes, 2 catchers, mobile players, etc.

The second echostar got their hands on sling, they ruinged the product, and now they just destoyed a great forum at slingcommunity.com

The slingbox is my favorite gadget of all time, but I am afraid that it won't be around for much longer because of echostar.  They'll come up with some corporate suit and tie way of ruining it while telling us that it is an improvement.

MTFrobin Newbie

To YerBuddy, did your friend run the setup wizard in SlingPlayer for Desktop 2.0 for the router on the network it's connected to?

And setup your Sling account and password?

That's all it should take!

YerBuddy

@MTFrobin:  Yes, he did.  Like I said it's working fine via slingplayer over the internet (both win7 & macOSX), but not on the SC.  The SC can see my SB and I'm logged-in just fine, but I get this message:

"Sorry, SingCatcher could not connect to this Slingbox due to a network error.  Please try again."

Everything I've read says that he needs to setup port forwarding from there.  I'm hoping he'll be back this week and we can get it fixed.  It works great over my computers in the house in Germany and I absolutely love it to death.  I could hook-up one of the computers to the TV in the meantime, but I really want this SC to do it's job.

Thanks to all for the comments so far!  Is there anyone at Sling that will comment on the SlingCatcher's demise?

MTFrobin Newbie

If port forwarding was not enabled (port 5001) you would not be able to watch on the laptop either. I have buddy in Germany as well but he did have the SC running at home before he transfered to Germany. The only problem he had was at one location there was only DSL and he could not connect,

once he moved and now has cable and he has not had a problem.

Wish I could help further.

You should check out Slingcommunity.com before they shut it down on 4/27/2010 plenty of pepole Slinging to Germany, maybe there is an answer there?

http://http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/34566/Slingcatcher-not-connecting-even-though-SlingPlayer-does/

I know I am not suppose to do this, but I know how hard it can be when your abroad and can't help yourself.

Just in case it's down allready.

here's a Post

Hi all, started getting network error again - so followed to advice from Sling Support - got my son in the UK to manualy setup "Single port forwarding" (new Linksys WAG320N router) App Name : Slingbox - Internal and external ports to 5001 - Protocol : TCP - To IP Address : (slingbox IP Address) 192.168.1.254 - Enable - Save. thats it has worked ever since without problems. Apparently there is a problem with UPnP setup and the Slingcatcher - don't set protocol to BOTH or UDP as Sling catcher only works with TCP!

and another Post

It's possible your router at the SlingBox location lost its port forwarding or was using automatic setup. On the software player, hit alt/shift/i and see what the stream type is. If it's anything other than TCP you need to rerun the network setup from the SlingBox location. The software player can use multiple types of streams but the SlingCatcher needs TCP forwarding set up.

robbr Newbie

One trick you may want your friend to try is putting the Slingbox on a timer, that way it will reset every night (around 2am).  It could be a router issue and the Sling lost it's IP connection to the router.  The other trick to try is using this webpage http://srs.slingmedia.com/getDeviceInfo.asp?id=(add your Device ID in here)  See if the Slingbox is connecting at all to the net, you will see the last time it checked in wtih Slings DNS service.

bsheppard Newbie

It's probably safe to assume it's being discontinued. While there is no official word from sling on this, the catcher is becoming harder to purchase: you cant buy it directly from Sling or from their recommended supplier Best Buy through mail order. I had purchased a spare one the other week before Best Buy ran out just in case there is no replacement. So it may be safer to get a spare one if possible because it is a great product. Ideally an official word from sling would be good given it's increasing rarity to let us know what is happening - supply issue or whether this product is being discontinued. Note also that the the new DISH ViP 922 Slingloaded DVR makes no mention of the catcher although this would make a great companion product to have say in a holiday home or second place you are staying to catch up on your recorded tv. That suggests the catcher for remote viewing is not in the minds of the slingloaded DVR development side.

YerBuddy

Unfortunately I'm in agreement sheppard.  I'm beginning to think this forum is not what it's supposed to be.  It looks as though there are a lot of Sling Customers that want to help out, but I don't see a lot of Sling Support folks (in fact, none to be precise) giving us the 411 about the SlingCatcher.  It's a pretty simple question to answer.  Either it's discontinued or not...

How about an answer Sling?

BrandonC Novice

As you saw you won't get an answer here from anyone who works at Sling Media. Any discussion about new products or what they are working on will get you their response consisting of...

"Thanks for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum. While we  appreciate the customer feedback, we do not comment on unannounced or  unreleased products here. Nor do we comment on Sling Media procedures or  policies, simply because this is a technical support forum, not a rumor site."

If you want to get some feedback like that you need to go over to http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/ and ask that question.

FixItPete

Has anyone been looking into doing the Acer Revo replacment?!

This looks like it could be 100 times better than a slingcatcher and same money!

Expert

Dear YerBuddy,

Thanks for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum. While we appreciate the customer feedback, we do not comment on unannounced or unreleased products here. Nor do we comment on Sling Media procedures or policies, simply because this is a technical support forum, not a rumor site.

Please feel free to review the house rules. You can find them here:

Slingbox Answers Forum Help and House Rules

All the latest information on the SlingCatcher we can provide you with is right here:

SlingCatcher Overview

Kind Regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

YerBuddy

While I understand this is not a rumor site, it would be beneficial to your customers if rumors were squelched.  The standard answer only propogates more rumors don't you think?

I'm certainly not trying to be a "bad egg" here, but no answer to a simple question is often left to interpretation; which, in turn, allows for more rumors.

However, I get your message:  "Shut-up and drive-on."

Because I've been in the Army way to long I will simply reply with:  "WILCO, Over."

YerBuddy

I finally got my SlingCatcher to work.  It turned out that the port was not set to 5001.  As soon as my bud in Cali set it correctly it works like a charm.  Here's a quick video if any of you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss0zCOUK7y0

Expert

Hello YerBuddy - glad to see that you got your Catcher to work!

Wanted to thank you again for the good feedback above. We really would like the forums to succeed in helping as many customers as possible, and it's great to have positive responses to help us find the way, so to speak.

Very soon, we'll have an Enhancement Request community where Sling folks can post their appeals for solutions. Look for more on that in the near future, but just know that we're listening to the community, finding our balance, and trying to make these forums as helpful and effective as they possibly can be!

Best Regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Dana,

Very soon, we'll have an Enhancement Request community where Sling folks can post their appeals for solutions.

That'll be interesting to see, it could be very cool.

Focused, relevant, task-oriented dialogue is helpful for a traditional support channel.  But a venue designated for more dynamic and open ended feedback, exploration and questions is also helpful in its own way.  Standards and decorum need to be upheld of course, but the notable ideas and solutions that tend to float out of general discussion communities are hard to overlook.

A one-way drop box, not so much.  I mean honestly, how often does the office "Suggestions Box" need to be cleaned out ?  If there's no expectation of a response, why bother ?  Consider this as your plans evolve. 

I wish you a smooth path as you "find your balance," so to speak.

- Az

YerBuddy

Outstanding!  I look forward to reading what comes of this new venture.  I know for sure there are a lot of good ideas from your customers that can be useful and profitable.

dlassiter

Maybe they will come out with "SlingCatcher" like software for the Wii.  No hardware needed, just a Wii Console...who doesn't have one of those?!

jamesmccourt Novice

So happy you got your Slingcatcher working. Still trying to figure mine out.

Tomorrow I'm going to access a computer on the home network (I am trying to use a Slingcatcher remotely)  and change the stream to TCP.

I can watch my slingbox on my laptop visa Slingplayer and slingbox.com absolutely fine.

Why don't they explain the TCP issue in the instructions?!!!!

J.