1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 1:27 PM by Fofo RSS

Slinglink 4-port: does not work reliably. Why? House wiring issue?

drengfer

Hi!

I've just moved my Slingmedia setup to a new house (PRO HD, SlingLInk TURBO 4-port). I have found that the Slinglink 4-port device does NOT work reliably in this home, despite the fact that it worked just fine at my old house.

If I move all of my networking gear adjacent to the Slingbox and cable the Slingbox directly to my router (off of the cable modem), all is good. If, however, I leave my networking gear in its normal habitat and use the Slinglink devices to bridge the network to the Slingbox, I cannot reliably connect to or use the Slingbox. The box reports repeated network failures.

I have done all of the trouble-shooting steps outlined on the Slingmedia website - no joy.

In researching powerline-ethernet on the Web, I have learned that it's possible that the two locations in my house are not on the same 110-volt "leg" of service within my house, and that wiring designs like this can cause problems with powerline ethernet installations. Could that be my issue? How can I test for it definitively? Is there a fix for this? (I've read about something called a bridging capacitor that my address it.)

Any insights from anyone? Thanks in advance!

Best,

Doug