7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 12:13 PM by adcomcorp RSS

Configuration/change network settings: the button is not active

gtrecha

Trying to set up my slingbox on my mac. I click the configuration tab and there are 4 buttons: Change name and passwords, Change A/V set ups, CHANGE NETWORK SETTINGS and Update Slingbox Firmware. The CHANGE NETWORK SETTINGS button is not active, can't click on it. When I click on the other buttons I get "slingbox configuration has failed" "Unable to connect to your sling box".

Was working fine till I swapped out my wireless router for a new one.

• Re: Configuration/change network settings: the button is not active
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi gtrecha,

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned...

Was working fine till I swapped out my wireless router for a new one.

The errors you're reporting sound like what happens when the setup assistant (part of the SlingPlayer package) can't find the Slingbox.  Changing routers almost certainly goofed with the IP address assigned to your Slingbox.

Easiest thing to do is delete the entry for your Slingbox in the Player Directory (Window > Slingbox Directory) and reset your Slingbox.  After resetting you'll need to do the initial configuration from inside your home network.  Here's a link to a support doc on how reset:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000054.html

If you watch your Slingbox over the internet (remote viewing), you'll need to set your new router's port forwarding to send port 5001 to the IP address your Slingbox is parked on after you get it running again.

Hope this helps ! 

- Az

ElizabethinNC

I am having a simular problem after switching routers.  I can watch the Sling Box on my Mac as long as I like one channel.  The remote controller button is inactive and when I go to the tool bar at the top of my computer the "activate" button is gray and will not work.  I am told it may have to do with NAT settings but I don't know what that is.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi ElizabethinNC,

I can watch the Sling Box on my Mac as long as I like one channel.

That sounds like an issue with your Audio/Video setup... and it could account for both your no remote and one channel problems.

If your Slingbox thinks you've connected a video source that it can't control with it's IR blaster, you won't get an on-screen remote.  It'll only show you the raw video it's being fed, and won't even attempt to change channels.  Slingbox doesn't try to figure this out on its own, it's completely dictated by what you pick during Audio/Video setup.

In the Mac SlingPlayer app, go to Help > Slingbox Setup Assistant and run the assistant.  If you have a Slingbox with multiple inputs, be sure you're configuring the right one.  See if that helps.  When you try it out in the Player, make sure you've selected the correct input to watch.  In the Player go to Slingbox > Video Input to switch if you have multiple inputs.

I am told it may have to do with NAT settings but I don't know what that is.

I don't think your problem is NAT, that's part of your router's security firewall.  If you can connect to the Slingbox and watch anything when you're away from home, that stuff is working.  The thing that normally happens when the firewall isn't set up right is that you'll get stuck at Connecting... and never see a picture at all.

In case you're curious... 

The router's firewall simply blocks unauthorized/unwanted internet traffic from reaching your home network.  The firewall doesn't have anything to do with what channels you can watch or how the on-screen remote works.  It's a door, not an inspector... it only cares if it is supposed to be open or shut.  What goes through when it's open is irrelevant.

NAT stands for Network Address Translation, it's part of your firewall.  It's something routers do to allow more than one computer to share a single internet connection.  Your internet company only gives you one IP address, but all of your network devices (computers, slingboxes, etc) need their own address in order to work on the internet.  Your router grabs the IP address from the Internet company, then uses NAT to sort all the traffic out for each of your devices.

If that's confusing, think of a big office building: The Post Office delivers to one physical address, and the mailroom figures out which inbox to stick the letters in.  NAT = mailroom in this analogy.

Hope this helps,

- Az