17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2012 6:00 PM by scottj63 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

SlingPlayer Mobile for Amazon Kindle Fire

tkrego

I know this tablet is not released yet. I have ordered a Kindle Fire and having SlingPlayer Mobile for it would be something I would purchase.

• Re: SlingPlayer Mobile for Amazon Kindle Fire
          drhenning53 Newbie

I have ordered one as well and would love to have it available...

One of the things I understand that plugins may not work so hot with the browser being shipped with the Fire so using it through the browser may not work like it does with my laptop for instance... 

And, the Kindle will not have access to the Android Marketplace.... so no easy way to even get the compatible version...

Would love to hear from Slingbox if this might be an option since it looks like this Kindle device could be a hot item....

psuKinger

Would love to hear any information on this as well.

If a SlingPlayer App is made available for Kindle Fire, I would probably purchase both a Kindle Fire and the Sling App.

If Kindle Fire won't be able to access Slingbox?  Could be a deal-breaker for me...

Apprentice

Hello guys,

We'll keep an eye on this, this sound like a great product and since the operating system is Android, I will move this thread to "Enhancement Requests" and as soon as we get any new information, we'll let you know.

Regards

Thanks,
              The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

psuKinger

Just as an update, I e-mailed Amazon the following regarding the Kindle Fire:

I'm interested in getting the new Kindle Fire, but I wanted to know if a Slingbox/Slingplayer Mobile app will be made available for it.  If I can use my Slingbox on this tablet, I will almost certainly get one of these.

Please let me know if you have any information you can share regarding whether or not Slingbox/Slingplayer will work with Kindle Fire.

The response I received back from Amazon:

I’m sorry I am not able to provide more information.

You may want to contact the developer of the app, Slingbox, for product support. I've provided the contact information below:
                  http://support.slingbox.com/go/home

So, based on that input, it sounds like it's on Slingbox to get an app up and running for this Android Tablet and available in the Amazon App Store for us to buy.

Please keep us informed on this, guys!

rwingender@gmail.com

Just got my Kindle Fire. I also want the slingplayer. Not willing to D/L the Android app, because, even though Fire uses Android, it's the Gingerbread version of Android, which may or may not work with the Slingplayer. I'm not willing to gamble $30 to find out.

emgvod

Hey Folks,

Just got my kindle today...

I have licensed version of Sling Player for my Android devices (few phones).  I backed up a bunch of apps from my Tunderbolt, moved them to Kindle Fire and tried installing.  Sling Player in particular installed fine (along with most other apps) and seemed to have begun running.  However,  after I signed in with my sling account, the app stopped after failing to validate the license.  Aparently, the Sling Player app requires google market sign-in, which is impossible on Kindle.  At this point it seems like a no-go and Amazon App store does not even list Sling Player.  If anyone gets it to work, it would be great.

MaryGator

Add another new Kindle Fire owner to the list waiting anxiously for a version of SlingPlayer Mobile that will run and is supported on the Kindle Fire devise.

jschults

I just wanted to say again how much I love my slingbox. It would really be cool if the slingplayer mobile could be available on my Kindle Fire

patpaget

same problem here...come on slingbox people, lets get to work on this!!!! Listen to your customers!!

emgvod

OK, so for those who want to get (already) licensed Sling Player running on your Kindle Fire in less than 30 minutes see below:

1. Root your Kindle - best and easy instructions I found so far are here: http://www.kindlefirewire.com/2011/11/16/how-to-root-kindle-fire-video-tutorial/

2. Install/Enable Gogle Android Market - http://www.kindlefirewire.com/2011/11/17/how-to-install-android-market-on-kindle-fire/.  Note: you may have to "side-load" the "Go Launcher EX" in contrast to the instructions on the site.
                            3. Uinstall any existing (if side-loaded belore) version of Sling Mobile Player
                            4. Make sure you are logged into your google account when accessing Android Market

5. Download and Install Sling Mobile Player to your Kindle and follow regular process to login with your sling account, etc.

6. You now have a working/running version of Sling Mobile Player on Kindle Fire.
                                rbrokaw001

does the rooting work for all android apps... like mlbtv and nhl gamecenter??

emgvod

I don't know whether these would work.  However, once the Kindle was rooted, it so far has allowed me to install any and ALL apps I have been running on other android tablets and phones linked to my (same) google account, including ones that require license validation via google account (e.g. Touchdown Exchange, etc.). Therefore, theoreticaly, there is no reason why a particular app will not work.  So far, the only downside of rooting Kindle Fire is that Amazon Video Streaming service does not work.  I have Netflix, so I don't really care.

Tbernstein

I've rooted my fire and installed the Android Market, so I should be able to run SlingPlayer.  However, I wanted to hear how well it worked for you?  Is it full screen?  How's the picture?  As the app is quite expensive, I don't want to make the purchase without knowing what I'm getting.

Thanks much,

emgvod

Since I have owned Sling Mobile Player for over 7 months and have it installed on over 4 different android devices now, for me it was a no brainer.  The app does run full screen, but it is NOT a HD (tablet) version, but rather a phone-optimized app.  The picture is OK - certainly not HD quality.  Frame-rate seems to be lower than full 30fps.  I would say it runs about 20fps at most.  I also have an iPad with separately purchased Sling Player Mobile app on it.  iPad app works way better. But again, you are talking about Kindle Fire, a $200 tablet device - you just cannot (and probably should not) compare it with iPad or higher-end Android tablets. If this was my only android device and had to pay $30 for this app, I would probably still do it as Fire's form factor is just perfect for watching TV remotely.  You would probably not enjoy a feature movie on it, but for the news, some sports events, etc. it works fine.

Apprentice

Hi tkrego and all,

Have a look at this: SlingPlayer for Kindle Fire Beta testers needed!

SlingPlayer is coming to the Kindle Fire!  You can sign up for the private beta program.

Regards,
                                      The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team