6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2010 2:26 PM by TomRitucci RSS

Remote on full screen?

GermanDawg

Is it possible to access my remote control (directv) while in full screen? Thus far all I can do is get out of full screen mode and then hit the show remote button. I watching my slingbox content over my HTPC on a 62 ' LED TV and it is too far across the room to see the remote buttonsvery well (at least at 44 years of age LOL).

Also,does anyone know of a high quality PC remote control with a keyboard and scrolling mouse? I have a wireless microsoft KeyBoard and a really good remote pointing mouse but neither one is a very satisfying experience.

I love my sling box though....even as bad as Directv on-demand is it is much better than anything on SKY Satelite and beats German cable TV by several thousand miles!

• Re: Remote on full screen?
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi GermanDawg,

Also,does anyone know of a high quality PC remote control with a keyboard and scrolling mouse? I have a wireless microsoft KeyBoard and a really good remote pointing mouse but neither one is a very satisfying experience.

I like the stuff Gyration makes, mainly the air mouse but the keyboard is cool too.  Saw them in a college lecture hall setting, picked up a set for home and ended up buying a second set not long after.  They might not be exactly what you're after, but it's worth a look:

http://www.gyration.com

- Az

dgrimes77

I was just wondering the same thing.  I can't seem to figure out how to view the remote control while viewing in full screen.  I know it's possible because a friend of mine had his set up to show the remote anytime he moved the mouse.  I emailed him to ask how he set it up but he is traveling now so it might be a few days before I hear back.  Let me know if you found a solution yet.  

Hi dgrimes77,

I don't think it's possible to display/use the on-screen remote in fullscreen mode on the web player.  That would be really, really nice, but it's not happening right now.

Are you sure that your friend wasn't using the full stand-alone SlingPlayer on his computer ?  It'll definitely bring up the remote if you wiggle the mouse.

Here's a tip that might help- use your keyboard.  Most of the remote control buttons are mapped to keyboard equivalents, those actually work in fullscreen mode with the web player.  I do it all the time with the full player, I don't know why I haven't thought to do it with the web player- just tried it and it works !

If you park your mouse over the on-screen remote buttons without clicking, you should see a tooltip with the keyboard equivalent if it's available (the color buttons for example aren't).

Add a wireless keyboard, Keyspan remote or something like that, and you might be stoked.

Hope this helps,

- Az

dgrimes77

Thanks for the tips.  Maybe this is a stupid question, but what is the stand alone Slingplayer?  Is that a different player you can download.  Maybe that is what he had.  What are the pros and cons of using the slingplayer vs webplayer?

It's not a stupid question at all.

(This may help you too, GermanDawg)

Yeah, there are actually three players out there: Mac, Windows and Web.

For some reason, the links have moved around to places that aren't so obvious.  They used to be right there in your face.  Now, not so much, especially for the Windows version.  Anyway, go grab a copy.  You'll like it:

Windows Player v2.0.4:

http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us

Mac Player v1.0.10.272

http://download.slingmedia.com/player/mac/SlingPlayer-1.0.10.dmg

Pros and cons ?  Well, they basically do the same thing but the full program has a few more features, more configuration options and is more flexible.  Plus, it's an actual program running on your computer, you don't have to fiddle around with a web browser.  I'm not knocking the web player, it's cool.  But I definitely prefer the standalone player.

Here are two things you'll notice immediately:

- The viewing window is resizable and moveable

- The remote shows up in fullscreen, and it's detachable/moveable in window mode

I also prefer to disable the playback buffer.  It's cool to be able to pause and rewind TV (Win version only), but I can do that with the DVR attached to my Slingbox.  I'd rather not constantly write the stream to disk since I can't save it.  The standalone player lets me do this. (Disable, not save)

The only advantage I can think of to the web player- aside from the fact that it's a cool option- is that I can use it on a different computer without installing any programs and leaving any information behind.  Handy if you're at a friend's house or work, but that's about it.

Happy trails,

- Az

TomRitucci

The best keyboard/mouse on the market is made by logitech, i dont remember what it is called but it is like 1mm thick and is orange on the back... thats what i use and i love it