2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2011 9:33 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Internet service provided by condo ***. - must click to connect - what slingbox will work?

growtv

My condominium association provides internet service - when using internet explorer a web page pops up and says "to access the internet click on connect" once this is done the internet is available.  If you do not click, you are not able to connect to the internet.

What slingbox will be able to tell what i beleive is a proxy server, to connect to the internet?

or is there a hardware product that I can put between a slingbox and my internet connection so that the hardware product clicks to connect and the slingbox then has access to the internet?

thanks,

alan lawrence

• Re: Internet service provided by condo ***. - must click to connect - what slingbox will work?
          Apprentice

Hi growtv,

This is a very complicated configuration and probably the short answer, is no, the Slingbox will not work located at your Condo since there is no hardware that can be installed to do this (click on connect). I recommend to contact the network administrator to determine if there is something else they can do to give you full access to the Internet. Here you can find the system requirements,

Slingbox PRO-HD  >  Tech Specs

Hope this helps

Regards

• Re: Internet service provided by condo ***. - must click to connect - what slingbox will work?
              chakkarinen Apprentice

Mr. Lawrence, another potential problem that I see in getting your SB to work reliably under the current internet access system at your condo is that the actual process of  slinging video could send a gigabyte or more of data per hour through your condo's internet access system.   And depending on the Association's contract with their Internet Service Provider, you alone might "use up" the lion's share of their monthly allocation through your slinging.  So a better approach might be to see if you can get your own, direct service contract with an ISP -- this would eliminate the "click here for Internet access" feedback (which the SB doesn't know how to "read" or "answer") and provide you with your full monthly data transfer allocation without impinging on the other condo unit owners or generating management involvement.   You would then, presumably, have your own modem and your own router, and could then directly program your router to provide reliable service and access to your SB, as is described in many other posts in this forum.