5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2011 5:30 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Can't get Sling player on laptop or iPad to stream above 400kbps

scbryan

Stats

Home Upload speed = 2.5 MBPS

Location download speed = 7+MBPS

Slingplayer on laptop and ipad rarely go above 400kbps and constantly get spinning wheel on screen..

• Re: Can't get Sling player on laptop or iPad to stream above 400kbps
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Have you tried the web browser based player (IE or Firefox) on your laptop to see if it provides better streaming speeds?  Or does that give the same streaming speed -- or even less?

scbryan

Thanks..but I meant to say ie and firefox have the Same issue

chakkarinen Apprentice

I've seen some reports by other users that their ISP may be intentionally limiting the speeds of upstreaming video, to limits well below the speeds that they advertise for uploads from "residential" accounts.   These folks think that their ISP may be assuming that this heavy upload traffic signifies that the user is operating a website, for which they (in their terms) require a separate (read "higher priced") business account.

So, if you connect a computer to the same local area network where your SB is physically located and then stream (which should stay within the local network via your router only and not going out through the modem over the Internet), do you find much, much faster speeds -- here I would be guessing close to 8,000 kbps?

scbryan

Inside my network, everything works fine..How do I confirm that my ISP is limting my upload speed (comcast)

chakkarinen Apprentice

Well, I have Comcast also, and no such slow speeds. I often get up to 2,000 kbps when viewing over the external internet.   Within your local area network, you should always be fine -- speeds as high as 8,000 kbps -- because all of the transfers stay within your router and don't go through the modem to the outside world.

You might try asking the Comcast techs to check your lines remotely for any leaks or other bandwidth restrictions.

And my Comcast tech did suggest that I upgrade my modem from a DOCSIS 1.1 model to a DOCSIS 2.0 or DOCSIS 3.0 model -- which he suggested because the service was going to be upgraded (at no cost to me) to 30 mbps download speeds shortly, and he said my prior DOCSIS 1.1 modem would not be able to deliver that high of speeds reliably.   He also suggested that I insure that my router was at least 3 feet away from my cable modem to avoid RF interference.   I have never heard of this issue before -- but I went ahead and moved the router up two shelves in my closet to comply.  Go figure.